Idiot College Girl Posts Offensive Pic to Snapchat

multicultcurlymulticultcurly Curl ConnoisseurPosts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
So I literally just saw this and skimmed through the article. It's offensive so I'm just warning you.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/maybe-dont-use-your-face-mask-to-be-racist-194523428.html

I'm not trying to start a race riot. I think what she did was wrong. Do I think she should be expelled? No. Lots of people use that word, and with so many sheltered, privileged white people like her listening to rap and watching movies where the "N" word is said freely, it doesn't surprise me that her friends and she use the word.

I think a better punishment would have been for her to learn why that word is offensive and to go through a psychological exercise of what it would have been like to be a black person during Jim Crow or slavery time. I think then she would have learned something. The only thing she has probably learned is to say racist crap behind closed doors and that everyone is against her.

America has a racist and sexist past that isn't that long ago. Firing and expelling people without at least trying to make sure they know why people are offended serves no one. Most people aren't truly racist, just ignorant. At some point in time, most of us have said something stupid or hateful that would embarrass us today. However, most of us were lucky to have had an experience that showed us our stupidity or had someone point out our tomfoolery.
3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Curl Connoisseur Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur

America has a racist and sexist past that isn't that long ago. Firing and expelling people without at least trying to make sure they know why people are offended serves no one. Most people aren't truly racist, just ignorant. At some point in time, most of us have said something stupid or hateful that would embarrass us today. However, most of us were lucky to have had an experience that showed us our stupidity or had someone point out our tomfoolery.

I think this is key, and while it was a moronic thing to do, I think could be a much better learning experience then expelling her.

A guy at work was going to do black face one Halloween. Small town farm guy, had no idea it would be offensive, just made sense for the costume. While I see both sides of it (him & his wife were going as Kanye & Kim, hard to do that as a pale red headed guy) told him big no-no, need to figure something else out.

As an aside, I have the same pic on my IG, without the caption lol
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BEpIn8Yy0im/
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • rouquinnerouquinne Curl Connoisseur Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    America has a racist and sexist past that isn't that long ago.

unfortunately, multi, the current political climate in your country indicates that it's okay to continue to be blatantly racist and sexist.

:angry7:
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Curl Connoisseur Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I know racism and sexism still exist. I think though that America ignores it and so the problem does not goes away. It just evolves with society.

Do I think a white farm boy dressing up as Kanye with painted skin is racist? No. However, there are legitimate reasons why many people are offended by it. Do I think calling physical features and common habits among black people ghetto or trashy because they're associated with black people racist? Yes. However, American society thinks that shaming every white person for saying or doing something offensive toward others makes the issues go away. This only makes the problems fester and go underground.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using CurlTalk App
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    **** her. Who cares what happens to her. I know she won't make the same "mistake" again. My father wasn't allowed to step foot into a library until he was 18 years old. She can't begin to comprehend the amount of privilege she enjoys, kicked out of that school or not.

(If you have made it thru three whole years at a major public university in the United States and still do some crap like that, yes, you are a RACIST and frankly, too STUPID to be in college.)

• rouquinnerouquinne Curl Connoisseur Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you have made it thru three whole years at a major public university in the United States and still do some crap like that, yes, you are a RACIST and frankly, too STUPID to be in college.

thank you, SL, for saying this better than i could. being so white i glow in the dark, i *never* know how to express myself around the issue of race.

:(
    My blog:

• JosephineJosephine Curl Connoisseur Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes a lot of people are that ignorant. I'm surprised she actually got expelled and her sorority kicked her out. Not so sure that would happen where I grew up. I am glad people are taking this seriously. I think getting expelled is a bit much.
    i'm not sure where i stand on the expulsion, but i will say that i think a lot of kids/teens/young people are being raised these days without knowledge of consequences for their words and actions.

we've all heard about "helicopter parents" and the lengths some people go to for their children, but when i hear about things like this and bullying involving naked pictures, i wonder if people are educating their kids to the consequences involved. freedom of speech/thought/action is all well and good, and perfectly fine if the government isn't restricting one, but the plain fact is that there are limits on this - inciting violence, hate speech, etc.

you have the right to say something hateful; i have the right to call you an idiot dork if you do!

there are codes of conduct in all kinds of worlds - some of which conflict with each other. but it's also up to individuals to know what those codes are if they're involved in that world; i.e. your college's code of conduct for students at the school. if you don't live up to that code, you will have to face the consequences. as we like to say in my line of work - ignorance of the law is no excuse.

and i'm so sick to death of people using "political correctness run amok" as an excuse for their bad behaviour.

since when was COMMON DECENCY something to be regarded as "politically correct"??
    My blog:

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    She can apply to other schools and finish her degree. She's attending a public university that is supported by tax payer dollars and she doesn't have the right to demean and torment 1000+ Black students. Too bad she is being inconvenienced by this but millions have been inconvenienced by racism. And why should she tarnish the character and reputation of an entire university (and sorority)?

Honestly, I think she will be a better person for all of this. But if she's not...again, screw her. :tongue5:

She's attending a public university that is supported by tax payer dollars and she doesn't have the right to demean and torment 1000+ Black students. Too bad she is being inconvenienced by this but millions have been inconvenienced by racism.

i'm just re-quoting this part because it's so perfect!
    My blog:

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Curl Connoisseur Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Times have changed. Unfortunately, I think many people in their 20s and younger are removed from America's blatantly racist past and today's current underlying racism and are clueless about why people are offended. I think it's partially the way people are raised. They're coddled and live in bubbles and many middle class youth are isolated from people not like them.

Having lived in the Midwest, I know there are lots of people like her. I doubt she is racist. She is just a privileged, ignorant person. Also, with people getting away with killing unarmed black people without cause and peole being denied jobs because thei names sound ghetto, her "crime" is just ignorant. Her punishment doesn't fit the crime or speak to the issue.

***contains racial epithets used for the purpose of furthering the discussion.***

Times have changed. Unfortunately, I think many people in their 20s and younger are removed from America's blatantly racist past and today's current underlying racism and are clueless about why people are offended. I think it's partially the way people are raised. They're coddled and live in bubbles and many middle class youth are isolated from people not like them.

Having lived in the Midwest, I know there are lots of people like her. I doubt she is racist. She is just a privileged, ignorant person. Also, with people getting away with killing unarmed black people without cause and peole being denied jobs because thei names sound ghetto, her "crime" is just ignorant. Her punishment doesn't fit the crime or speak to the issue.

I disagree totally. White ppl mocking, caricaturing and lampooning Black ppl? That's nothing new. Calling Black ppl n!66ers (or n!66as)? The minstrel shows were doing this 150 years ago. The mass media has been doing it since then. My (White midewestern) college roommate did it 25 yrs ago. A little boy in my son's second grade class did it last year. "Times" haven't changed one bit.

This absolutely ~is~ an example of racism bc it's an outright display of arrogance, privilege and dishonor against a segment of the population that the perpetrator feels is unworthy of respect.

I suppose if she had dressed up in such a way and spoke and comported herself in such a way as to mock gay ppl on Snapchat, she wouldn't homophobic, right? She'd just be a sheltered Midwesterner? I don't think so.

I'm light skinned enough to often be mistaken as White and I live in the Midwest. I hear what racist Whites say about Black ppl when they think we can't hear. Let me assure you, there isn't anything naïve or innocent about it. And the ones who say "my n!66a, my n!66a" joking around w/ their friends and the same ones who say, "good for that n!66er" when watching the news.

The school shouldn't have asked her to take a "diversity" class or write a paper or anything along the lines of what you suggested bc then this twit would have been able to play the PC card and moan about "look what the university is making this nice, poor, downtrodden White girl do to appease these uppity Ns and liberals." This way, it's see ya, bye. The end. And she can figure out on her own how to climb out of the hole she dug for herself should she decide to pursue education of employment in the future.

Actually I never suggested a diversity paper or diversity training. I don't think those do anything. I was thinking more along the lines of her being black for a day or living through Jim Crow Era as a black person. There are places that do reenactments. I remember Oprah did one and a college made students in a specific class go through it. It's an adult version of the teacher who made the children do the eye color experiment. If she didn't get it after that, she never would.

I get what you're saying. I just don't see it the same way as you do. I have met a few truly racist people. They don't change. However, most people are just ignorant and prejudiced. Those are damaging but those people can change. I don't think it's the victims' duty to make people like her change. I just saw the school as using this as a teachable moment. I just don't agree with the way it handled the situation.

multi, up above i *liked* your post about people being coddled and stuck in their own bubbles where they aren't exposed to other cultures.

but i do disagree with about the punishment the student received.

again, if she violated the school's code of conduct, she violated the code of conduct and is subject to whatever the punishment should be. if that's expulsion, that's it.

if schools have varying levels of seriousness in their codes and non-government versions of "3-strikes" laws, that's entirely different. but my concern with something like this is if students who display overt racism (even when it's of the "stupidly ignorant" variety) aren't punished severely, it will just drive the behaviour underground and into the shadows where it will be harder to catch.

like what happened at the University of Alberta (where my goddaughter is a professor) just this week:

Racist posters reading 'F--- Your Turban' litter University of Alberta | Alberta
    My blog:

Rou, I am not saying she shouldn't be punished. I think she should be. I thought it was a teachable moment that I didn't think the school used it wisely. Unlike the turban incident on school grounds with posters, the post was made on a personal snapchat account that wasn't the school's account and wasn't distributed to the general public. I probably won't post anything on this anymore since I have nothing new to add but I wanted to reply to you.

We all seem to agree that racism is still alive and active, as the turban incident and other news stories show. And ignorance like this woman's prejudiced post demonstrates. I think we just disagree on how situations like this should be handled.

thanks, multi, i appreciate that.
    My blog:

• wavydazewavydaze Curl Novice Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Ugggghhhhh

I don't really know what to say except as a white woman I am really truly embarrassed and sorry **** like this keeps happening I don't disagree with her being expelled. She needs to do some remedial racial sensitivity/history learning and training immediately. ::sigh:: Actually the whole country of white people need some remedial lessons on this topic.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
    Rou, I am not saying she shouldn't be punished. I think she should be. I thought it was a teachable moment that I didn't think the school used it wisely. Unlike the turban incident on school grounds with posters, the post was made on a personal snapchat account that wasn't the school's account and wasn't distributed to the general public. I probably won't post anything on this anymore since I have nothing new to add but I wanted to reply to you.

We all seem to agree that racism is still alive and active, as the turban incident and other news stories show. And ignorance like this woman's prejudiced post demonstrates. I think we just disagree on how situations like this should be handled.

I think it's a teachable moment, too. And I think this woman should and most likely will initiate the learning herself in order to redeem her credibility (after her initial resentment wears off.)

Furthermore, I don't think it's the place of universities to blackmail and strongarm students into adopting certain social viewpoints. It's a free country and ppl have the choice to be ignorant if they want. But at the same time, if the university has an established code of conduct, and a student violates it, the university is at liberty to dismiss the student.

Those diversity/tolerance exercises are great...but shouldn't be used as a punishment for hate speech or as a bartering chip to excuse hate speech imo.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file