Haircut advice?

Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
I've been growing out my hair for the last year and am having problems getting it to look the way I want. I have been using a regular stylist who is very good and open to suggestions, and I would like to keep her if possible rather than go to a curly stylist. She does a regular wet cut on me. I don't have much bounce-back with my curls in general, as I am only a 2a/2b.

I had a haircut last week, and I told my stylist that I felt that the bottom was too heavy. I wanted it to look more tapered rather than straight across.

To address this, my hair stylist decided to cut out a few chunks of hair on the underlayer and also on the canopy to try to reduce the bulk.

I feel like my hair can get some nice volume on the sides, where the shortest layer ends, but then it seems to hang straight down, giving me a bit of a blocky look. I sometimes purposefully try to pull out the curl on the shortest layer because that hair just looks like a "bump," since that layer bounces up more than the layers below. Smoothing the topmost layer down is really pointless because I *want* volume. The longest layer in particular seems to really hang there and not bounce up like the previous layers, making the ends of my hair look stringy.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should tell my hair stylist so that I can get a better shape to my hair? Or should I just suck it up and go to a curly stylist?

I hope the photos are OK. I do not have a means of taking photos other than my computer video camera right now. I did lighten them a bit to try to show more detail in my hair.

Thank you, all!
Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
RO: IN Harmonic
LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Comments

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    i actually like the cut. maybe your products are too heavy? maybe you need lighter leave ins?
    here is a thread from the salon/stylist forum that has great info (it was started by a stylist who does deva cuts):
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/salon-stylist-chatter/76806-what-should-i-tell-my-stylist.html

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    For some unknown reason, my hair photographs better than it appears in real life, rbb! Oh well. Thanks for the link.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I like your hair too. I struggle with short pieces that don't curl properly, cause they stick to my scalp when wet and I can't get to them with product and the diffuser too well. So you may want your layers closer together? If the longest layers hang down too much then maybe you want to consider going a bit shorter overall to get your hair to bounce up more. It can be tricky with a wet cut because you don't get to see how the short layer behaves, but sometimes it's worth putting up with to keep a stylist you like.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    In case anyone is interested, I went back to my stylist today and found out what the problem was. She needed to take out more slices of hair in the underlayer. She used a razor and took out a few chunks. Now my hair lies much nicer on the bottom (it doesn't just hang there), and my curls on the bottom have more spring. I'm much happier with my hair now.

Hair cutting is such a mystery to me...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file