2a/b newbie in need of help (washing) :)

StellarStellar Registered Users Posts: 6
Hi guys,
I have just recently started exploring how I can get the most out of my curls. For most of my life I actually didn't consider myself curly/wavy and have been in the habit of brushing my hair straight-ish. But with age I'm becoming curlier and am ready to embrace it :)

I think my hair type is pretty much a mix between 2a and 2b, as I have some portions of hair which are a nicely defined s-type curve (in the back and on the sides) and some is more loosely wavy (around my face). I have a mix of thinner hairs and quite coarse hair. Maybe that's why I am struggling to find a routine that works...

I would need some help and suggestions on what to try with regards to washing routine. I wash my hair twice a week. I'm currently using a sulfate-free shampoo (Less is More Cajeput) which I am happy with. But I have not found a natural conditioner that I like (I don't want anything with silicones) and does not seem to weight my hair down. I have tried using just oil (no conditioner), but it's not working too well. I have lots and lots of tangles and on the other hand the oil I've used also feels too heavy and almost sticky.

And having read on the site about protein / moisture I'm more confused than ever! My main problems are lots of tangles and on the other hand that my curls easily straighten. What should I try next?

I'm also afraid this journey is going to cost me a lot of money in failed trials :cry: What I do already have and am considering trying:

- Coconut oil (surely too heavy, but maybe as a pre-conditioner, before shampooing?)
- Almond oil
- Anything from my kitchen, e.g. eggs, avocados, bananas... :)
- A Tangle Teezer Thick and Curly brush - should I try using it in the shower while I condition? To avoid pulling my curls straight, if I brush when hair is dry
- I have a curl gel that I like

So please, please - do you have any insight on what might be the problem as I get lots of tangles and my curls go slack?

ps. My hair is dyed in an all-natural salon with natural hair dyes (I think she used herbs and henna...)

Comments

• StellarStellar Registered Users Posts: 6
    One more thing - I've noticed I'm getting more split ends lately, even though it's only been a month since my last hair cut.

My hair is pretty long, reaching my shoulder blades.

I've been wondering about sea salt spray as well - might that work, or is it drying?

I usually wash my hair in the evening and have been in the habit of just wrapping it in a towel and letting it dry overnight. Now I know I should ditch the terry towels, so I will have to find a new way of doing this too.. I am not a fan of blow drying, so I guess I will try drying with a t-shirt/microfiber and plopping.
  • WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    I suggest getting a hair analysis at someplace like goosefootprints.com.
    There's a couple other sites that do it too. I wish I had done it from the beginning. It will help save a lot of trial and error. In the meantime if your conditioner isn't rich enough you could try adding some oil such as olive oil or coconut oil. Welcome to NC and good luck.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • StellarStellar Registered Users Posts: 6
    Thank you so much for this tip! I had no idea that is possible, such a good idea. I'll do it!
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I can tell you what conditioners I use, but I have fine hair and in skimming saw you have some coarse. All my conditioners have protein, so don't know how much protein you can tolerate, but they are all natural and don't weigh down my hair. I use Aubrey Organics GPB, and JAY, and John Masters Lavender and Avocado. There are two others but they're from a business that is no longer running.
    Re: split ends, catnip tea treatments prevent them from happening (though will not fix current spilt ends--the only way to do that is to trim them off).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file