CG Heat Protectant?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,223Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
If you diffuse, do you use a heat protectant if you are cg? Which one?

I sometimes diffuse on medium heat without a heat protectant because the ones that I know about are all silicones. Is there a non-silicone heat protectant? Do I need one if I just use medium heat and try not to diffuse too much in one place at one time?

I do try to air dry but sometimes I don't have the time and also, I think diffusing adds some volume which is good for my curls.
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• WavycatWavycat Posts: 325Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I know what you mean about the heat. Sometimes I'll use SMaster's method and I sometimes use high heat at the end(because i used medium the rest of the time). I don't have good results using the cool setting so when I do use it it's usually medium or high. It's not often any more as I have just about given up because I haven't found my HG products and it's been 5 years. I feel that I use a lot of LI and I use oils daily and EVOO pre CO. I haven't noticed any more damage than when I don't use my dryer. Sorry to not be any help but I'll be watching this thread in case anyone has any ideas. I might go back to SMasters once a week or so this winter.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    wavycat -- just curious about what oils you use?? and i assume you use them to seal after your leave in?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,223Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hey Wavycat - is that your hair in the avatar? it's beautiful!

I haven't ever actually done a pre - CO or pre-poo. Maybe I'll try that!

Thanks for your input - I also don't have good results when I use the cool setting.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • WavycatWavycat Posts: 325Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Curly pearl, thanks, it is but it's much longer now and I still feel like a fake. That's about 5 mins after diffusing. It only lasts about an hour. Now, with it being longer, it's much more elongated. Yeah, cool setting is the pits for me too.
    Hi rbb, I used to use coconut oil prepoo but have switched to EVOO. My hair loves coconut oil but my scalp rebelled and got itchy. So far it's all goodness with EVOO. I also use some jojoba after my LI. I also use either jojoba or Africans Best on the last 3-4 inches of my hair in the AM and PM. I get Velcro ends so its been helping. It's funny but I'm just now realizing how dry my skin and hair are. I only put 2 drops in my hand, rub together and put it only ends after I spritz in the morning and the same thing in the evening. I've been eyeing up my SM baby calming lotion for the winter. The Ingreds look ok and my skin has liked it so far. Pretty sure I'm going to try it when the dews drop. Sorry for the long answer.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,555Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I use Damage Control by Aveda for a heat protectant. It is part of the Brilliant line. It has no silicones. It took me a long time to find a heat protectant without silicones!

I haven't noticed any heat damage from diffusing. However, I occasionally use a curling wand or flat iron, and I do think I have gotten damage from those, which is why I've started using heat protectant.

The leave-in and pomade from Intelligent Nutrients say on the container that you can also use them as heat protectants, but they can be kind of heavy on the hair. I use the leave-in only in the winter months. They don't have silicones.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    thanks, wavy cat! i'm always looking for an oil i neglected that my hair might like. it hated both coconut and olive oil, both took me about 3 washings to remove, and like you, i merely put some on my hands then scrunched.

ss emollience butter was perfect for my hair, but unfortunately she is no longer in business and i only have a little left, so i looking for an alternative. jc n&s comes somewhat close, but i can't stand the smell and it is heavy so i have to be very careful.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,223Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1 - thank you! There's an Aveda store near me and they give samples so maybe I can get a sample of that. Great - :smile:
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,555Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I was at my hair stylist's today and asked her about heat protectant for second-day hair, if you don't want to get it too wet (the Aveda Damage Control is pretty watery). She said that the Bumble and Bumble Spray de Mode hairspray is good for that.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file