#TeacherBae

JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Have you guys heard of this and what do you think?

#TeacherBae questions: Can teachers really dress like that? | www.ajc.com

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I was going to post this a few days ago but figured the discussion would be too one-sided.

I'm built like that and I understand unless you wear things very form fitting, you look like a big dumpy sack. But I think she crosses the line in a few cases, like the pink spandex body-con dress. That's just contextually inappropriate for a teaching job and shouldn't be worn anywhere except to the club or a party.

She looks OK in other outfits, I guess, bc her figure is what it is. But the dress code prohibits jeans and tight dresses, so she's clearly run afoul of the policy twice.

Someone left a comment about her needing a mentor, and I tend to agree. Sometimes ppl, if they didn't come from a professional family, don't know what business casual attire, etc., should look like.

eta - She's not a teacher.

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Meh, if she was my kids teacher, as long as they were learning, I don't care what she wears.

I think its super weird she is having students or teachers take pics of her outfits though!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Besides the jeans, I don't see anything that outright violates the dress code. I do think she looks slightly tacky by the too tight pink dress. She seems like she is trying to be "discovered" instead of a teacher. I agree with Spiderlashes that the aide could benefit from a more professional makeover. I do think you can be sexy and professionally appropriate. I just don't think this lady has found that balance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Meh, I think this is a case of a bunch of hating-ass women (do you really think the fathers are complaining? LOL) who need something better to do than critique this woman's state of dress. Teacher or not, she is very curvaceous, wtf is she supposed to do? Wear a muumuu or potato sack? I do agree the pink dress is more appropriate for a nightclub than a classroom, but if she were skinnier, then I doubt it would have caused such an uproar. I've not yet read about the quality of her teaching, just wtf this woman has on.

If she was petite with no curves and wearing the same things, no one would bat an eye. It's more policing of women's bodies and by large it's other women who are doing this.
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• curlisue1curlisue1 Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Novice
    ^^ this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The people complaining are probably the parents who have had to shop for their kids within the very specific confines of a school dress code.

Our kids wear uniforms and they are pretty loose about the specifics (any khaki pants, skirts don't have to be SUPER long, etc) but when I see what some of my other friends are dealing with? Yes, if I had spent the summer trying to find enough clothes that fit into some really specific, narrow dress code and the teacher came in dressed like that, I would complain. If my ten year old can't wear a tank top or skirt above the knee or anything that shows her collar bone because it's too distracting for the boys, then it's definitely not ok for her teacher.

We can't even get our school to allow navy pants because khaki pants are pretty unforgiving for girls with unpredictable periods.
  • hmkennyhmkenny Posts: 1,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Haters gonna hate, lol, but that's what you get for posting pictures publicly. I'm not saying it's right, but if you post something publicly on social media, everyone is going to feel free to weigh in.

I agree that she could use some wardrobe mentoring. Remember the show What Not to Wear? So many of the younger people on that show, I feel, had just not found their personal style yet when they got out of collage and out into the real world. That's not entirely the case for this teacher. She clearly is proud of her style, but she could use some assistance in adapting her style/taste to a more professional attire.
    3a/medium texture/normal porosity
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 308Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    As a teacher, we sign a moral turpitude clause in our contracts. It's pretty standard no matter where you work. That said, her social should be private. That was the first thing I thought about this situation before anything else.

Also thinking of contracts, what she is wearing doesn't violate most of the standard rules. Skirts to or at the knee, no spaghetti straps, no low cut tops, etc. She's a brick house and anything she wears will be more "sexy" than others.

Many young teachers simply don't have a built up wardrobe. That takes time and money.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Many young teachers simply don't have a built up wardrobe. That takes time and money.

this one doesn't fly.

even Walmart makes decent work-wear these days, and they and Target often have sales. there's also consignment shops and thrift stores. plain pants (or skirts) in black/gray/navy/brown paired with plain t-shirts and cardigans (i buy them on sale at Old Navy), flats from Payless and a fake string of pearls and you are prepared for ANYTHING!

dressing appropriately for your workplace is a form of good manners - so many women don't seem to get it. (edited to add: this crosses age ranges; i've seen 60-somethings dressed badly for their work setting.)

:angry7:

and, yes, i did say that!

i work in a courthouse and you should see some of the get-ups that come through the office on women - especially in the summer. i get that it's hot and humid outside, but our A/C is cranked all the time.

this has NOTHING to do with "hating" someone because she's young and thin and beautiful and can wear those things. it has everything to do with dressing appropriately for your workplace. i'm sick to death of that bogus argument.

p.s. most workplaces have jeans days (usually Fridays), or theme days where you pay a $ amount for charity and wear something outside the norm.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 308Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I see your point. But when I first started teaching I had just lost 30+ pounds, had nothing to wear and honestly, I don't like wearing the same thing over and over. It took nearly a year, shopping at goodwill and similar places to build up my wardrobe for both my new body and my new job.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,734Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i spend more time at thrift stores and consignment shops than regular stores; though i do admit that when Target Canada was going out of business, i bought 3 pairs of the exact same flats from them (they were $4 each). so, yeah, i do crazy things like buy 2 of the same pants at Sears on sale, but with a different colour top and and earrings, i don't consider it to be wearing the same thing every day.

maybe it's just me.

:smile:
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think you're both right. It does take a while to build up a professional attire, but there are stores that make building that wardrobe affordable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file