Struggling

Louise.MarshLouise.Marsh Registered Users Posts: 5
Hello,
I've been fully curly girl for a month now! However, i'm struggling I cannot get a styler which sets the curl, doesn't drag my fine hair down or make it greasey but adds lots of moisture because fizz is a problem. (my hair is recovering from years of using flat irons)
I use;
As I am Coconut co Wash
Bodyshop Rainforest Shampoo (rarely)
ApHogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep treament Mask
And KCCC to style

I'm not loving KCCC it feels too heavy and makes my hair look wet.

Any suggestions on what styler I could use?
Thanks

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I struggled for a long time with the same problem. For my first two years CG I used my own homemade gelatin hair gel, which fine hair loves (as it has hydrolyzed protein). Lately though I've switched to another homemade styler, irish moss jelly. My hair loves it. It helps with hold and definition, but provides flexibility, and doesn't drag my hair down. Since my hair is fine I only need a pinch of it. I make an infusion of water, irish moss powder, rosemary powder, and chamomile tea. I let it sit for an hour, strain through cheesecloth, add essential oils of choice (for scent), refrigerate (it thickens up in the fridge).

KCCC weighed down my hair too much too. Shea Moisture products would do the same (with the exception of their fruit fusion line), so be careful of your deep treatment mask. Also, the CO wash (or co washing exclusively) may be not enough for your fine hair. Many wavies and/or fine haired curlies need to wash with a shampoo every time, or at least sometimes. The Shea Moisture Fruit Fusion is gentle but cleansing. Sometimes you may also need to clarify with a stronger shampoo.

I find commercial products in general to weigh my hair down. You may want to try a mousse or volume foam rather than (or in addition to)gel. I use Sweet Curls Elixirs Volume Foam over my hair jelly when my hair is a tad drier and love the volume it adds. Some people like AG RE:coil, though for me it's still heavy. Same with Jessicurl Spiralicious. Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha is another one people like. There's also Max Green Alchemy gel (all natural product).

You may also want to experiment with styling technique. I scrunch water from my hair before adding product. I do spritz some leave in mixed with water before taking out too much water though. Then I apply my styler. Then I diffuse, then add more styler. The foam would weigh down my hair if I applied it when my hair is too wet (as mine has some added PVP to it, which weighs down my hair).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file