To color or not to color....

inquiringcurlsinquiringcurls Registered Users Posts: 11
I recently decided to embrace the few streaks of grey I have, or so I thought, but the truth is that I continue vacillating on whether or not to color. I just feel that the few straggly greys are not that impressive and only serve to age me (42 yrs old). Thinking I should just color for five more years or so until I get a lot more of the grey - which are really a nice bright silver.

Can anyone recommend a good hair dye that doesn't change the hair texture??????? I know this is a pipe dream, but just putting it out there just in case. When I dye my hair it alters the texture, which is usually soft and manageable, to crispier, coarser, and coloring always seems to lead to some hair loss.

Anyone have a really great product recommendation?

Thank you!!
3b/3c, Normal porosity, Thick & Coarse
Shampoo every 3-4 days w/Costco shampoo or whatever is available
Co-wash in between (or just cold water): Aussie Moist or Costco Condish, occasionally Herbal Essences
Styler: Shea Moisture Milk & Castor oil or EcoStyler
Goal: SL Hair - growing out after almost 2 full decades of pixie/boy-cuts

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    Right there with you. The problem is that grey hair is resistant to dye, so anything strong enough to stick is going to damage the hair. Henna will stick, but henna loosens curl, can be very drying and will come out orange on grey.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
    I know there are certain henna mixes available for grey coverage that won't result in an orange color, but you'd probably need to consult a good henna company for assistance. I'm always touting the quality of henna from the "Henna for Hair" site because that's what I use......but I'm a redhead already, so I don't really have issues with being too orange (unless it was clown orange, of course).
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    The Mehandi Henna I've used in the past is more of a copper color (on any hair, including grey). Henna can loosen curl, but doesn't have to. Wavies seem most susceptible, and I'll venture that people with fine hair are also more susceptible. When I henna'd I was more of a 2a than 3a, but that could also be because I was brand new to CG and didn't know how to style my hair yet. You can use part henna and part amla to help prevent curl loss. I only used the tiniest bit of henna usually in my mixes. If you do that and also only put one coating on each section of hair (dying only roots as they grow in rather than multiple whole head applications) that will help prevent curl loss.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • maniamania Registered Users Posts: 56
    I think the coloring of your hairs could really make your change your personality ..
  • EverydayCurlsEverydayCurls Registered Users Posts: 301 Curl Novice
    I use tints of nature. I love it. You apply it to wet hair, so it takes soooo much less product. I normally need two bottles of hair dye, but with this I use half a bottle (4x less!) so it ends up being cost effective. I like to dye my hair a red/brown colour. The red doesn't stay long (it never really does in my hair), but the darker brown lasts a few weeks. My hair gets curlier after, and if I use a good conditioner after, it doesn't feel damaged at all.

Current Products:

• Nature's Gate Biotin Shampoo
    • Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    • AG Recoil Curl Activator
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

• lovelydaylovelyday Registered Users Posts: 6
    Can anyone recommend a good hair dye that doesn't change the hair texture??????? I know this is a pipe dream, but just putting it out there just in case. When I dye my hair it alters the texture, which is usually soft and manageable, to crispier, coarser, and coloring always seems to lead to some hair loss.

Anyone have a really great product recommendation?

Thank you!!
    I think henna is a good option if you want to maintain your hair as healthy as possible :) there are so many kinds you can choose from, regular ones or something extra fancy like what Lush offers.
    Also, a good alternative is to switch it up - sometimes henna, sometimes hair dye, that's what i do cos i tend to wear darker colors in fall/winter. It's September already, so I've been browsing on the internet looking for the next color I'd like to try for myself and i found this (isn't it pretty???):
    Gorgeous-Dark-Red-Hair-with-Peek-a-boo-Highlights-650x650.jpg
    there are aslo a few great options if you scroll thru those 50 hair color ideas (i love these things btw, helps you figure out the variety of shades) - http://hairstylezz.com/best-dark-red-hair-color-ideas/
    I like how there are options with "natural-looking" highlights that seem not that hard to achieve...
    So the question - is there any kind of henna that can help achieve kind of similar results? Or maybe some kind of great dye that is not too expensive. The kinds I tried so far worked just fine, but I'm up for something new if there are great alrternatives i havent heard of yet :sunny:
  • stream26stream26 Registered Users Posts: 40 Curl Neophyte
    I'm totally agree with lovelyday. Henna is natural dye, can not be said about other
  • maniamania Registered Users Posts: 56
    I think it's all depends upon your won choice and desire you are willing to color your hair or not..:occasion9:
    Dont bother with the lush henna. Its more of a wash. Pure henna and indigo will give you variants of brown and auburn . If you dye grey hair with pure henna or even with lush henna, it will be orange.
  • lalasophialalasophia Registered Users Posts: 7
    Hi inquiringcurls!
    Manic Panic Hair Color Cream is a great option and a vegan product, what is very important to me. It gives you a healthy-looking effect and even cover gray. I bought it here, but they ship world wide:
    Hair Colour - Huge Haircare Range + Lowest Prices | RY
    You have such a great natural curls and it would be a shame to ruin it with some aggressive color :)
    Naturtint-permanenthairdye-permanenthaircolour-hairdye-haircolour-naturtint7G-naturtintgoldenblonde-blondehairdye-600x600.jpg
    I just used Naturtint today and really liked it . There are many colors , I have tried honey brown like this newaylook It covered my gray (no, I’m not embracing gray right now—maybe later!) It felt a lot less “chemically” on my head than Aveda (supposedly “natural”, done at a salon for $100) and Garnier box color (totally unnatural and $7). I do agree, however, that the ingredient list even on the so-called “natural” products is a little dense. And yes, my hairstylist also told me how terrible vegetable dyes are for the hair; I suspect she was protecting her business. Anyway, I thought ecocolor might be worth looking into. If anyone out there has tried it, please post.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file