Help! Sudden buildup for no apparent reason

For the past few weeks, my hair cannot get clean. I washed it last night, woke up this morning and it was still wet. A few hours later when it had dried, it was so greasy, like I hadn't washed it in at all!

My routine is the same as always: wash with either SMMR or V05 SLS shampoo (kiwis like or strawberries & cream) RO is V05 conditioner (same scents as shampoo). Style with Aussie Instant Freeze.

I've looked at the ingredients to see if they have started to add cones, but everything is the same. I have hard water but I'm used to dealing with it, hasn't caused many problems.

Could it be my water? Something I'm not thinking of? The length of my hair is getting dry from all the washing, while my roots stay as greasy as ever. I'm used to washing twice per week, now upped to 3 times per week.

I'm at a loss here. Help, please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2b//high porosity//fine texture//medium density//low elasticity//loves protein
Lo-poo: SMMR, SMC&S
Clarifying: VO5 shampoos
Co-wash: VO5 conditioners
RO: VO5 conditioners
Styling: AIF, FSG, gelatin gel, ecostyler krystal
PT: IAGirl's gelatin treatment

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried a clarifying shampoo? Something really stripping? Stylers and treatments can buildup over time and it might be at a point where you need something really clarifying to get it off your hair.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    hey, :)

sorry to hear of this. If the Aussie instant freeze is hairspray kind, dimethicone is ingredient.
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Even good products have ingredients that can build up on the hair. I would suggest doing a cleanse with a sulfate shampoo to see if that fixes the problem.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Registered Users Posts: 334 Curl Neophyte
    Could you possibly be pregnant? I got very greasy skin and hair in all 3 of my pregnancies. Just a thought.
    Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • virginbluevirginblue Registered Users Posts: 194
    Have you tried a clarifying shampoo? Something really stripping? Stylers and treatments can buildup over time and it might be at a point where you need something really clarifying to get it off your hair.

The V05 is a sulfate shampoo. Should I use something else?

sorry to hear of this. If the Aussie instant freeze is hairspray kind, dimethicone is ingredient.

Sorry, forgot to clarify that it's the kind in the tube. No cones that I saw. Good to know the hairspray kind has cones in it!
    Therese1 wrote: »
    Even good products have ingredients that can build up on the hair. I would suggest doing a cleanse with a sulfate shampoo to see if that fixes the problem.

I use a sulfate shampoo on a regular basis: about half of my washes.
    Could you possibly be pregnant? I got very greasy skin and hair in all 3 of my pregnancies. Just a thought.

No, it's not possible, but I'll keep that in mind!

I've even reading up on methylchloroisothiazolinone/methylisothiazolinone, two preservatives in the V05 conditioners/shampoos. They are allergens/irritants that can bother some people, even after years of use. I don't know if it's the cause, but I figure I should try some new products to see if it helps. My gel also contains polyquat-4. Not sure if it's causing buildup.

I have a tight budget, and I haven't changed my routine in years. Any suggestions for drugstore products? I've used ecostyler Crystal before. Kind of hit and miss for me, but I'm thinking of giving it another try. I heard Suave now uses cones (my hair hates all cones). Is the tresseme naturals line any good? My hair is fine with sulfates.

Thanks so much for the responses, guys, and sorry for all the questions! TIA

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    virginblue wrote: »

The V05 is a sulfate shampoo. Should I use something else?

Sorry, forgot to clarify that it's the kind in the tube. No cones that I saw. Good to know the hairspray kind has cones in it!
    Therese1 wrote: »

I use a sulfate shampoo on a regular basis: about half of my washes.

No, it's not possible, but I'll keep that in mind!

I've even reading up on methylchloroisothiazolinone/methylisothiazolinone, two preservatives in the V05 conditioners/shampoos. They are allergens/irritants that can bother some people, even after years of use. I don't know if it's the cause, but I figure I should try some new products to see if it helps. My gel also contains polyquat-4. Not sure if it's causing buildup.

I have a tight budget, and I haven't changed my routine in years. Any suggestions for drugstore products? I've used ecostyler Crystal before. Kind of hit and miss for me, but I'm thinking of giving it another try. I heard Suave now uses cones (my hair hates all cones). Is the tresseme naturals line any good? My hair is fine with sulfates.

Thanks so much for the responses, guys, and sorry for all the questions! TIA

Tresemme Naturals has been discontinued. Suave Essentials (the old Suave Naturals) in the clear bottles is still cone free. AFAIK all their other lines do have cones. If you want to try a shampoo that removes conditioner buildup (and polyquats) look for something silicone free that contains Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate. See here for more info about that: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.in/2011/07/cationic-compounds-in-cosmetics.html

CG since 11/2011. 2c/3a, F/M ii. Posting from the Curl talk app.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    Maybe a trial size of baby shampoo would work. That stuff will remove everything. (It's designed to be gentle on eyes, not hair.)

Have you tried LA Looks Sports Gel? It's cheap and it works.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
    Geek_Chic wrote: »
    If you want to try a shampoo that removes conditioner buildup (and polyquats) look for something silicone free that contains Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate. See here for more info about that: Science-y Hair Blog: Cationic Compounds in Cosmetics

CG since 11/2011. 2c/3a, F/M ii. Posting from the Curl talk app.

If you have a Regis salon or a Cost Cutters near you, the Design Line Moisture Shampoo has this ingredient, and costs about $10.
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • maniamania Registered Users Posts: 56
    I think the dermatologist can really give the best and useful recommendation of medicine or shampoo..
    Tresemme Naturals has been discontinued. Suave Essentials (the old Suave Naturals) in the clear bottles is still cone free. AFAIK all their other lines do have cones. If you want to try a shampoo that removes conditioner buildup (and polyquats) look for something silicone free that contains Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate. See here for more info about that: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.in/2011/07/cationic-compounds-in-cosmetics.html

CG since 11/2011. 2c/3a, F/M ii. Posting from the Curl talk app.[/QUOTE]

I did a drugstore haul. More than I generally spend, so I hope I did ok. I bought cantu Shea butter shampoo. It has sodium c14-16 alpha olefin sulfonate. Not sure if that's exactly the same as what you were talking about. The warning label on the back of the bottle concerned me some, but I thought I remembered reading on here that is was popular. I also bought garnier fructis pre clean shampoo, Shea moisture curl and shine conditioner, and suave waterfall must conditioner (the only kind they had at the store). The suave has methylchloroisothiazolinone/methylisothiazolinone in it, but it's far down in the list. I got it as a just in case the SM conditioner is too heavy for me. Also went for the Eco styler Krystal as I liked it ok in the past. Do these sound alright?
    Maybe a trial size of baby shampoo would work. That stuff will remove everything. (It's designed to be gentle on eyes, not hair.)

Have you tried LA Looks Sports Gel? It's cheap and it works.

I've got some baby shampoo stashed in my cabinet. I hadn't even thought of that! Unfortunately, LALSG doesn't work for me. Such a shame because it's so cheap and I love hard hold gels.
    RafterBat wrote: »

If you have a Regis salon or a Cost Cutters near you, the Design Line Moisture Shampoo has this ingredient, and costs about $10.

None near me that I know of. I live in a small town in Oklahoma, and I've honestly never heard of either of this places. I'll be sure to keep it in mind, though!
    mania wrote: »
    I think the dermatologist can really give the best and useful recommendation of medicine or shampoo..

True. If my issue isn't remedied soon, I'll see a doctor

• Curlista93Curlista93 Registered Users Posts: 411 Curl Novice
    Hey fellow Okie! If all else fails best try some dish washer liquid lol that should remove everything.
    Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
    Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
    Latest BC: 11/24/2018

Curlista93 wrote: »
    Hey fellow Okie! If all else fails best try some dish washer liquid lol that should remove everything.

Hey! Good to see another Okie :) I've heard of that, but I was saving it as a last resort. I shampooed my hair again with Cantu, put 1 part acv and 1 part water in my hair, left it for 30 minutes, rinsed, conditioned and styled as usual. It seems to have done the trick! I still have a couple waxy/greasy/itchy spots, but it is 100x better. Hopefully I fixed the issue (knock on wood)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file