How can I keep my Henna from fading?

tadtad Registered Users Posts: 3
I've been using Harvest Moon Henna for a few years now to cover my gray roots. It worked wonderfully for a while apart from the fact that it faded rather quickly. Recently I've noticed that my gray hair wasn't absorbing the color. I have dark brown hair and the roots would come out greenish or sometimes reddish. I was using dark brown henna. I switched brands and began using Moroccon Method's henna but got similar results. I am now trying the two step method. I have the indigo sitting on my hair right now. I emailed Moroccon Method about the problem and they said that leave in conditioner and the application of oil to the hair will cause the henna to fade. I find this two step method quite tedious and I want to stretch out my time between applications to as long as possible but I don't know how my hair can survive without oils or leave in conditioner. Especially when henna can be so drying. Can anyone advise me about this?

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
    Well, there's always a bit of fading from the time you first use henna, but that's normal. I would look into using a different brand, such as sold by a company called Tap Dancing Lizard (I am not affiliated with them, but I do use their henna). Their web site is Henna for Hair. I think they may have an 800 number as well.

HTH
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    The only method I've seen for fading/removing henna (that works, anyway) involves the copious use of oils, so the answer to your question is if you are going to use oils, you're going to get fading, if you want to prevent fading, you need to stop using oils. It's really up to you what's more important.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    Some people use coconut milk in their mixes.... but that may have oil in it. However maybe there are other substances you can use, like fenugreek powder (fenugreek is very moisturizing) that won't interfere? Or you can always just do a DC treatment afterwards (maybe not the same day if that's too much, but within a few days after). I've always used Mehandi henna when henna'ing, and didn't have fading problems, but I didn't use conditioner in my mixes. In the past I used coconut milk in my mixes however, and didn't have a problem with the henna taking.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • lovelydaylovelyday Registered Users Posts: 6
    i've been using Lush henna for years and it hasn't let me down so far, it might be quite pricey but it also doesn't dry out your hair horribly
    so yeah, maybe try changing henna brands??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file