A Big Curl Question

LoveliamLoveliam Registered Users Posts: 318 Curl Connoisseur
I had my hair cut and styled today (see pictures).

I love how he styled it with a bigger look. Normally, I use hard hold gel on it to tame the curls more. But, in winter I combine gel with Deva Curl Mousse.

If I want to style it big like this, should I use just Deva mousse?

He did diffuse it dry part way.

rsz_hair2_zpsz81criol.jpg

rsz_front_zpsg7gjcijj.jpg
Leigh :)
3a mixed with 2C???
Fine Texture
Normal to low Porosity
Low Elasticity

Mop Top Low Poo or Deva low poo
Deva One Condition
Deva B'leave-in for higher dews (Deva Foam for low dews).
Deva Firm Hold Gel
HG: Sweet Curls Crazy Curly Hard Hold Elixir after applying Deva and for 2nd/third day.

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    So pretty!

Diffusing will probably make more difference than mousse. I get a major volume boost from diffusing without using any different products. (though I haven't tried mousse, so maybe do both?)
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • LoveliamLoveliam Registered Users Posts: 318 Curl Connoisseur
    So pretty!

Diffusing will probably make more difference than mousse. I get a major volume boost from diffusing without using any different products. (though I haven't tried mousse, so maybe do both?)

Thank you!! Interesting- I will try it.
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Deva One Condition
    Deva Firm Hold Gel
    HG: Sweet Curls Crazy Curly Hard Hold Elixir after applying Deva and for 2nd/third day.
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    Mousse and diffusing both help me. If I diffuse with just gel I get much less volume. But everyone is different. I like jelly, mousse on top, and natural hairspray if needed for more hold over that. I get big (for me) volume that way.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Beautiful! Fantastic volume and also great color.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    naturecat wrote: »
    Mousse and diffusing both help me. If I diffuse with just gel I get much less volume. But everyone is different. I like jelly, mousse on top, and natural hairspray if needed for more hold over that. I get big (for me) volume that way.

Thank you for the tips.
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Beautiful! Fantastic volume and also great color.

Thank you!!
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Deva One Condition
    Deva Firm Hold Gel
  • Curlista93Curlista93 Registered Users Posts: 411 Curl Novice
    It is gorgeous!
    Sent from my SM-G920P using CurlTalk App
    Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
    Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
    Latest BC: 11/24/2018

• curlynccurlync Registered Users Posts: 219 Curl Neophyte
    Let us know how it goes! I'm currently trying to figure out the same thing. I've stopped using my hard hold gels and stopped applying product to soaking wet hair. Instead I'm playing with curl cremes and only applying a med-hold jelly once dry. I also have a bottle of Deva Foam that I've yet to try, but it's on the agenda for this weekend. I haven't tried a mousse since starting CG, so I'm interested to see what that does for the "big hair" look.
    2c/3a
    Porosity: low at roots; normal mid-shaft; high at ends
    Texture: mix of medium & coarse
    Density: medium

Low-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; CJ Gentle Cleansing
    RO: GVP Conditioning Balm; Innersense Color Radiance
    Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Occasional use: CJ Repair Me; Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo

CG (or mod CG since I low-poo?) since June 2015
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    curlync wrote: »
    Let us know how it goes! I'm currently trying to figure out the same thing. I've stopped using my hard hold gels and stopped applying product to soaking wet hair. Instead I'm playing with curl cremes and only applying a med-hold jelly once dry. I also have a bottle of Deva Foam that I've yet to try, but it's on the agenda for this weekend. I haven't tried a mousse since starting CG, so I'm interested to see what that does for the "big hair" look.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm in exactly the same place as you, curlync. I've stopped using my beloved gelatin hair gel, which was my go to since day 1 CG. It was my equivalent of hard hold gel. The Irish moss jelly and a little leave in sprayed with water is acting like my creme and medium hold jelly. I put on other things when close to dry and dry, but not hard hold gel. The foam is what makes my hair bigger, but less hard hold also helps tremendously. And I find that my hair has good hold despite this (apart from the back which I sleep on, which on short hair will inevitably disrupt the pattern there).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    Curlista93 wrote: »
    It is gorgeous!
    Sent from my SM-G920P using CurlTalk App

Thank you!!

That is a good idea to ]not[ apply hold to soaking wet hair.
    naturecat wrote: »

I have Deva Foam that I have - I use it mainly in winter along with the Deva Ultra Defining Gel. So that is what I am testing out for bigger curls too. But maybe I should apply once dry.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm in exactly the same place as you, curlync. I've stopped using my beloved gelatin hair gel, which was my go to since day 1 CG. It was my equivalent of hard hold gel. The Irish moss jelly and a little leave in sprayed with water is acting like my creme and medium hold jelly. I put on other things when close to dry and dry, but not hard hold gel. The foam is what makes my hair bigger, but less hard hold also helps tremendously. And I find that my hair has good hold despite this (apart from the back which I sleep on, which on short hair will inevitably disrupt the pattern there).

Oh the mystery of curly hair LOL.
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Deva One Condition
    Deva Firm Hold Gel
    Loveliam wrote: »
    Normally, I use hard hold gel on it to tame the curls more. But, in winter I combine gel with Deva Curl Mousse.

If I want to style it big like this, should I use just Deva mousse?

I tried the Deva Foam for the first time ever this weekend. As I mentioned before, I was a jelly + hard hold gel girl prior to this because I wanted maximum definition, but now I'm looking for "big hair" instead. If I can get the big hair plus the definition, that'll be the curl holy grail!

Anyway, I used the Deva Foam by itself on damp, not wet hair. I used four pumps total (but my hair is longer than yours) and let it air dry just because it was Saturday and I was feeling lazy. It looked and felt awful while it was still wet and I thought it was going to be a major fail, but surprisingly once dry, it was soft and bouncy. The curl formation was lacking though (I attached a photo). I wish I had taken a picture yesterday - day 2 was actually better for volume, and didn't even add much more frizz. In fact, it seemed to get a bit curlier the second day.

This morning I decided to use a little bit of jelly and top it off with the Deva Foam, then diffused but only for a few minutes. It's not dry yet, so I don't know the verdict on that one.

I'm also thinking I should try the foam again by itself, but experiment with the amount used as well as how wet my hair is when I apply it.
    2c/3a

Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Curlync, that looks great!!
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Deva One Condition
    Deva Firm Hold Gel
    Thanks! If you try using the foam alone, please let us know how it goes! I'd be curious to see what your results are based on the amount you use and how wet your hair is when you apply it. I'll be sure to keep you updated as well if I manage to perfect the big hair look as I play with this :)
    2c/3a

Thanks! If you try using the foam alone, please let us know how it goes! I'd be curious to see what your results are based on the amount you use and how wet your hair is when you apply it. I'll be sure to keep you updated as well if I manage to perfect the big hair look as I play with this :)

I will keep you posted!!
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Deva One Condition
    Deva Firm Hold Gel
    I may have done it!!

This is my third attempt since my salon visit. But I emailed my stylist- he does a great job with cutting it, but the salon is not curl girl friendly. But, he said that he did not start drying it until it was almost dry.

So, today I experimented again. I did everything you do NOT do for defined curls. LOL. Also, normally I do this trick I was taught by a DevaCurl stylist where I define my curls while wet in the shower using conditioner by finger separating them so I skipped that. I combed it when wet, and towel dried (gasp, I know).

Then, I waited to diffuse it until it was a lot drier. I added mousse only after that.

The only thing I may add is buying a wide toothed comb, because I got rid of mine a long time ago :cool:

42f06c5a-cb4d-4de3-9617-3077829c851f_zpslmc1vfsi.jpg

28efe0e2-c08c-466c-8e5d-7faba40e8d43_zpsjgvnzcio.jpg
    3a mixed with 2C???
    Fine Texture
    Normal to low Porosity
    Low Elasticity

Deva One Condition
    Deva Firm Hold Gel
    I JUST saw your post, loveliam! For some reason I haven't been getting the email notifications lately. Your hair looks great! Thanks for checking back in with us! I definitely have not yet mastered it. I got amazing results last Thursday and it lasted me two days, but I haven't been able to recreate them - plus I stupidly didn't write down what I did and now I can't remember. I've been experimenting with how wet my hair is when I apply product, whether I scrunch in or rake in, etc, and I don't remember what I did it that day (aside from the fact that I know I used B'leave-in topped with Deva Foam.
    My hair's actually looked awful the last few days, and I think it's because I've been using the B'leave-in for a couple of weeks now. I think this confirms what I already suspected - protein is not for me, at least not in the massive amounts of large proteins that B'leave-in has. Or maybe the mousse is drying me out, I don't know.

Time to clarify, condition, and try your method!
    2c/3a

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    looks great!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji