How to stop my hair from going limp/straightening out when dry?

I just started CG again a few days ago, after a few years of hair dye, heat, silicone, and shampooing has made it dry stick straight. When I last did CG, my hair went from 2a to 2c/3b and it still looks like it can get back to that because it's 2b/c when wet (stays that way until dry without any hold products) and when I shed strands in the shower, they're usually 3a spirals. Well, at least that's what's been happening after a few days of CG. The thing is, they lose ALL of their spring when dry. They don't actually straighten out, they just get really stretched out, so it's a weird look because it's like 2a hair but you can see that my waves are actually a lot tighter than that, but they lose their spring/bounce when dry so I get fairly tight but really droopy spirals and waves. Also, my hair isn't fine at all and stringiness and weight aren't issues at all, it's just that I lose the bounce in my curl pattern, if that makes sense. It's almost kinda like a crimped look. I'm still too new to be able to attach pics but hopefully that description is sufficient.

My hair is a lot longer than it was the first time I tried CG (almost waist length as opposed to APL) and it's also all one length. I don't really want to lose much overall length but do you think some layers or a devacut might help? Also, would protein help? I don't think my hair likes a lot of protein but then again, maybe it can handle it with all the moisture from doing CG again. I know it'll probably get a good curl pattern going again soon, but this in between phase is so annoying!
2a/b for now, medium, very dense, low porosity
Current routine:
Clarifying poo: SM fruit infused coconut Shampoo
Co-wash: Suave Coconut
RO: GVP balm, SM Manuka mask
DT: SM Manuka mask
LI: GVP balm, Suave coconut, KCKT
Sealer: SM Curl & Style Milk, Camille Rose curl milk, SM CES
Stylers: Devacurl Light Defining Gel, Aussie IF gel, KCCC, LALSG
2nd day hair: water+aloe+glycerin spray, SM curl&style milk

CG since 8/21/16

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    Layers would definitely help. Getting a Devacut really helped me a lot, and she cut off almost no hair at all! It was the weirdest thing, I was almost mad that I was paying for so little to be done, but I had so much more curl and a much better shape.

I would definitely add protein to your routine, it's important to maintain the moisture/protein balance.

A lot of it is just time, though. Almost 4 months in, I'm still regaining curl a little bit at a time. It is hella frustrating, though.

ETA: Take pictures. It really helps me to look back on pictures taken the first week, month, etc. to see how far I've come.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file