Is it "healthy" for your scalp for your hair to take so long to dry?

akaurakaur Posts: 7Registered Users
I'm only 2 weeks in curly girl method. Before my hair dried in about 3-4 hours, but now it's taking 10-11 hours, half in plop, half out. I think my scalp (prone to dandruff) shouldn't be damp for this long, that it would make my dandruff worse, and is otherwise unhealthy? Is this a normal thing with CGM or something in my routine making the dry time long?

My hair is hip length, very coarse, low porosity, and very dry according to a hair test I had done. I think I'm a 2c, but still trying to figure that out (I will prob post pictures once it's dry to get a diagnoses from you guys).

My shower routine atm: shampoo with Shea Moisture Moisture Retention shampoo, Tresemme Botanique Conditioner and detangle, wash out, Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner, wait 15 mins, add Tresemme Botanique to roots and squish and condish until not dripping. Plop with cotton tee for 15-20 mins.

Then I smooth in Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing milk and squish up again. Then plop with a 2nd dry cotton tee. Still haven't found a good gel yet but planning on making flax seed gel and some deva curl products are on their way.

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    welcome!!

I am low porosity also. I found Shea Moisture stuff to be too heavy for me. perhaps try clarifying with silicone-free and polyquat-free shampoo
  • akaurakaur Posts: 7Registered Users
    Hey, I checked the Shea moisture products I used (Moisture Retention shampoo, Restorative conditioner, coconut & hibiscus curl milk) and Tresseme Botanique for cones and polyquats and am not seeing any. Are they listed as -cone or polyquat... - some #? Or are there other names?
    akaur wrote: »
    Hey, I checked the Shea moisture products I used (Moisture Retention shampoo, Restorative conditioner, coconut & hibiscus curl milk) and Tresseme Botanique for cones and polyquats and am not seeing any. Are they listed as -cone or polyquat... - some #? Or are there other names?

hi, :)

the Shea Moisture doesn't have cones or polyquats. but I think the butters in it might be causing the drying time problem?
    Yea that makes sense. Does this mean they're too heavy for our type of hair? I should look for lighter feeling products?
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I doubt it's unhealthy for your scalp to be wet, though I don't know if it would make dandruff worse. You could try diffusing, even just your roots. I let my hair air dry while I get ready for work and then diffuse the rest of the way. (It's probably 70-80% dry by the time I start diffusing, depending on humidity.)
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
    akaur wrote: »
    Yea that makes sense. Does this mean they're too heavy for our type of hair? I should look for lighter feeling products?

yes, I think lighter products would help you by not weighing down roots and length. that way when scrunching to help dry, goes faster :flower:
    my hair is very very low porosity too. I am currently trying to find best products for me,. its tough cause have allergies to lots of ingredients.

can also keep you updated if wanted
    MorrisonFan91 - I would love it if you kept me updated! I will as well. I have the DevaCurl travel kit on its way for me to try (No-Poo Zero Lather Cleanser, One Condition, Light Defining Gel, Set It Free Moisture-Lock Spray) and the styling cream. Have you tried any of those?
    curlyamaryllis - Thank you. I still need to purchase a blow dryer and diffuser. What do you use and do you like it?
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I wasn't sure from your posts whether the plopping is for an entire half of the time--five or so hours? If so, I would try not plopping so long. It is difficult for the hair to dry in a plop.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • curlynccurlync Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    "Is it "healthy" for your scalp for your hair to take so long to dry?"

If your scalp is otherwise healthy, it's probably fine. If you're dandruff prone though, I can tell you from experience that leaving your hair wet for that long can definitely further irritate your scalp. I have an itchy, scaly, flaky scalp myself. For the past several months I'd been washing my hair at night simply so I don't have to get up earlier to do it in the morning, or go to work with still wet hair. Even though I washed it a few hours before bed and spent 10 minutes diffusing, I would still go to bed with a damp, crunchy pineapple, as it takes my hair a good 4 hours to finish air-drying after diffusing. On the mornings after going to bed with damp hair, my scalp was always terribly itchy for the few hours after getting up. For now, for the sake of my scalp, I've gone back to washing in the mornings, which I really don't like doing.
    2c/3a
    Porosity: low at roots; normal mid-shaft; high at ends
    Texture: mix of medium & coarse
    Density: medium

Low-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; CJ Gentle Cleansing
    RO: GVP Conditioning Balm; Innersense Color Radiance
    Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Occasional use: CJ Repair Me; Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo

CG (or mod CG since I low-poo?) since June 2015
  • CurlyZoeyCurlyZoey Posts: 17Registered Users
    3 thoughts!
    1. If your hair is coarse, as you mentioned, the Deva light gel probably won't do much for you (sorry). Try the Deva Arc'Angel gel, or for drugstore/Sally's brands, try the LA Looks sport gel or Eco Styler gels. Eco Styler is awesome for coarse hair, is cheap, but won't help your hair dry faster. Great for frizz and clumping, though. And did I mention cheap?

2. If you're looking for a lighter Shea Moisture line, try the Fruit Fusion line (reddish-orange label). Your hair may dry a bit faster.

3. Your hair is very long, so some cool air diffusing to your roots may be your best option to keep your scalp happy.
    aggressively wavy | baby-fine | low density | high porosity

starting from scratch on products, Living Proof "Timeless" was a disaster (crispy dry after 6 mos)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file