No "cook" FSG - and no frizz!

RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
I am way too lazy to make FSG on the stove, so when I read a passing comment about just letting it sit overnight I figured it was worth a try. I let the flax and water sit for 24-30 hours, and it was still quite runny. It did not encourage curl at all, but I was astounded at the lack of frizz, so today I mixed the FSG with some SoCozy Boing and diffused for about 10 minutes. I'm pretty happy with the results!
2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 

Comments

• Curls80Curls80 Registered Users Posts: 526 Curl Connoisseur
    Looks great! Homemade FSG is the best.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    How did you hair hold up during the day?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
    Therese1 wrote: »
    How did you hair hold up during the day?

Normally my hair will curl up a little more once fully dry, which did not happen. A few curl ends sort of lost definition, hairs sort of flaring out of the curl - which would likely be fixed by applying the gels more evenly overall or just more on the ends. However, there was almost no frizz, which I had given up on ever achieving (it's been really bad). My hair also stayed soft, not crunchy, which was great.
    I just took my hair out of the pineapple - have not done anything else with it (I can live with this!):
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Very interesting. I have some flax seeds sitting around waiting for me to get motivated to make some FSG. Did you start with room temperature water? I may try heating up some water then dump the seeds in.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    Very interesting. I have some flax seeds sitting around waiting for me to get motivated to make some FSG. Did you start with room temperature water? I may try heating up some water then dump the seeds in.

Funny you'd say this! The first batch was with room temperature water and I left it out while "soaking", but then it started going bad really quickly, even though I refrigerated it after straining. Today I was curious if hot water would speed up the process, so I started with hot and plan to refrigerate as soon as the water cools. I'll let you know how that turns out! :)
    Heating the water made the gel significantly thicker - which is a good thing, I think. I don't want to deal with wet hair so soon before bed, but plan to try it out tomorrow.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file