Heat damage isn't the phrase for it

nu_natural10nu_natural10 Registered Users Posts: 114 Curl Connoisseur
My ends have been permantly straightened! I only usually wash with shampoo once a month and co wash weekly. Well I've washed twice and co washed twice and my hair isn't trying to curl any more. I'm thinking about hacking half my hair off and braiding it until it grows back. Unfortunately I think the same thing may have happened to my daughters hair but I don't know how to teach her to care for her natural curl. So I have 2 questions. Do y'all think I need to cut my hair? I've deep conditioned every time with Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil. I don't know what else to do! And my daughter goes to a stylist who promised me that having her hair straightened every 2 weeks wouldn't relax her curl pattern because it's not that frequent. What do you suggest?
Shampoo: Terressetials Mud Wash (lavender or lemon)
Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Conditioner
Deep Conditioner: Anita Grant's Rhassoul Deep Condish
Leave In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
Creams/Oils: Raw Shea Butter, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Jamican Black Castor Oil and Jojoba Oil

Comments

• AlmaPetraAlmaPetra Registered Users Posts: 104 Curl Neophyte
    It's really up to you. I'm currently transitioning from chemical damage (texlaxer) and I know that it is going to be a very long process but I just don't feel like hacking my hair off, so I'm keeping it and trying to enjoy transitioning.

Are you sure your hairs are not salvageable though? Maybe with time things will improve.
    4a/4b, highly porous, fine hair.

Co-wash: DevaCurl No Poo Decadence, AIA Long and Luxe Cowash
    Leave-in: KCKT, Soultanicals Knot Sauce
    Stylers: UFDCM, WLXG

SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm growing out damage, but I'm not cutting my hair. I know what I look like with hair that short, no thanks. My hair has recovered a lot of curl, give it time. Are you doing protein treatments? Those really help.

As for straightening your daughters hair, does the stylist make money if you show up twice a year for trims, or if you pay for straightening every other week? It only takes once at too high a temperature to wreck your hair. Why don't you both learn to care for your curls together?
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • nu_natural10nu_natural10 Registered Users Posts: 114 Curl Connoisseur
    Y'all are right. I need to stop being lazy and look up some protein treatments and protective styles. I can also keep my money and teach my daughter how to do her own hair. YouTube and this forum is my friend right haha. Thanks. Natural hair can be frustrating sometimes.
    Creams/Oils: Raw Shea Butter, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Jamican Black Castor Oil and Jojoba Oil
  • AddeeAddee Registered Users Posts: 412 Curl Connoisseur
    It's a decision only you can make that's generally based on personality and likes. I personally don't do damaged hair. I can't stand it and don't have the patience for it so it has to go. I cut off my hair many times for damage before I quit doing things my hair hates like direct heat and chemicals. Sometimes just a few inches. Sometimes super short. I look good in long and short hair. Like both.

It was a mistake trusting a stylist to tell YOU how direct heat will affect YOUR hair. Not everyone's hair is the same. Having course hair will allow it to take more abuse but it's not indestructible. No one can tell me more about what's growing out of my head than me. My mom and others fine haired people I know had permanently straight hair after ONE trip to the salon. The stylist wants to make money so he/she likely wants you to come in often. He/She deals with many heads of hair and salons tend to be like an assembly line of one size fits all in they way they treat hair. Keep that in mind. You need to know your own hair enough to know how often it can handle heat and at what temperature. Also since you were going to her every two weeks. Most women I know who go every week or two weeks wear their hair straight all the time and don't ever do their own hair. Not sure if that's the case here. Most of them I know are looking to heat train aka heat damage their hair so that it stays straighter so some stylists may not look at it as a bad thing.
    Forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you.
  • maniamania Registered Users Posts: 56
    I think you did the right thing I would also do the same as you did..
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I would definitely look into some protein treatments before chopping it off. You really have nothing to lose.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I haven't cut off my hair. Over time I've found that it has developed a slight wave pattern. I take that as a sign it's trying to come back. Thanks for the advice. My daughter's hair is bone straight however. I've stopped taking her to the stylist. We're on YouTube all the time now. Always looking for new videos on kids with natural hair....so if you know of any please share.
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    If you would like videos on kids with natural hair, I would start a new thread asking about it. That way people will see from the topic what you are looking for and give you info. :)
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Thank you Therese1. That makes more sense.
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Registered Users Posts: 383 Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried getting an olaplex treatment done?

I saw some huge results for my dry, overly straightened hair after using a treatment at the salon, and taking home the weekly treatment.
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, very long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    Earthtones Naturals Lover
    :thumbright:
    Canadian!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file