Curly Girl Method

MsFinesseMsFinesse Posts: 14Registered Users
Anybody trying this method? If so, what are your staples. Especially, those with 3c, fine, texture, low porosity, amd low density hair.

Comments

  • MsFinesseMsFinesse Posts: 14Registered Users
    I am a modified CG because I do the GHE/BAGGY method. I do not go past 10 days without Cowashing when doing the other two methods. When I am not in the course of the other methods, no more than 2-3 days without cowashing and strictly CG. The raking and shingling method works better for me when defining my curls with gel. Refreshing on day 2 is usually scrunching with aloe vera juice. While doing CG Method what are you doing to grow your curls ladies? :compress:
  • MsFinesseMsFinesse Posts: 14Registered Users
    Cowash: V05 Moisture Milks Island Coconut Moisturizing Conditioner (Rinse Out)
    Leave In: AuntJackie's In Control Conditioner
    Sealed: 2:1 Aloe Vera and Distilled Water
    Styler: Aussie Gel
    One style I'm wearing with this wash n go... How can I get bigger hair. The longer curls in the back grow looser than rest of my hair, not growing no faster than the other hair.
  • AlmaPetraAlmaPetra Posts: 104Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    MsFinesse wrote: »
    Anybody trying this method? If so, what are your staples. Especially, those with 3c, fine, texture, low porosity, amd low density hair.

    Wow your hair properties sound so similar to mine. Me too I have fine 3c/4a hair of low density. My porosity is mostly high because of chemical damage but the virgin roots seem to be of low porosity and less easy to moisturize.

    You can see the curl pattern of my roots in this photo below. I think that it looks similar to the curls in your photograph specially the one from the back. Mine might be a little bit tighter than yours though.
    Pdz59OX.jpg

    The products that I currently use are in my signature. I think that I'm modified CG because even though I cowash only and I do not use shampoo except rarely when I feel I need to clarfiy, my cowash does contain cones. I'm glad it doesn't build up on me though.
    4a/4b, highly porous, fine hair.

    Co-wash: DevaCurl No Poo Decadence, AIA Long and Luxe Cowash
    Leave-in: KCKT, Soultanicals Knot Sauce
    Stylers: UFDCM, WLXG

    SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL
  • AlmaPetraAlmaPetra Posts: 104Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wanting to grow my natural pattern out is like wanting to grow from a very short twa *sigh* but I enjoy this transitioning because every time, I have more curls at my roots to marvel at and to celebrate.

    If you learn any tricks that give bigger volume, plz let me know. I'm desperate for volume! It's like I only have 2 layers of hair on my head!!!!
    4a/4b, highly porous, fine hair.

    Co-wash: DevaCurl No Poo Decadence, AIA Long and Luxe Cowash
    Leave-in: KCKT, Soultanicals Knot Sauce
    Stylers: UFDCM, WLXG

    SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL
  • MsFinesseMsFinesse Posts: 14Registered Users
    I did it with 2:1 Aloe Vera and Distilled Water and plopped.:compress:
  • MsFinesseMsFinesse Posts: 14Registered Users
    AlmaPetra wrote: »
    MsFinesse wrote: »
    Anybody trying this method? If so, what are your staples. Especially, those with 3c, fine, texture, low porosity, amd low density hair.

    Wow your hair properties sound so similar to mine. Me too I have fine 3c/4a hair of low density. My porosity is mostly high because of chemical damage but the virgin roots seem to be of low porosity and less easy to moisturize.

    You can see the curl pattern of my roots in this photo below. I think that it looks similar to the curls in your photograph specially the one from the back. Mine might be a little bit tighter than yours though.
    Pdz59OX.jpg

    The products that I currently use are in my signature. I think that I'm modified CG because even though I cowash only and I do not use shampoo except rarely when I feel I need to clarfiy, my cowash does contain cones. I'm glad it doesn't build up on me though.
    I'm learning more about my hair everyday. Your new growth is definitely like the back of my hair! I think I fell in love with V05 Moisture Milks Island Coconut and will use as a leave in next time to see if it plays well with my Aussie gel. The Aussie makes my hair soft next day, but my aloe vera mix give me some hold. Clarifying once a month had been doing good enough for me. If I didn't use gel, I would clarify only when my hair started to look like I needed it or my curls weren't being as defined. Are you transitioning? If so, for how long? You would definitely be considered a modified CG using cones. Some ppl can do it, do what works for you. My hair hair anything unnatural. I was suprise it took well to the soy protein milk. For your damaged hair have you tried GHE/Baggy method?
  • MsFinesseMsFinesse Posts: 14Registered Users
    AlmaPetra wrote: »
    Wanting to grow my natural pattern out is like wanting to grow from a very short twa *sigh* but I enjoy this transitioning because every time, I have more curls at my roots to marvel at and to celebrate.

    If you learn any tricks that give bigger volume, plz let me know. I'm desperate for volume! It's like I only have 2 layers of hair on my head!!!!
    Girrrl, I want big hair so bad... lol! When I find that recipe, the world will know. Btw, why are you using grease and mineral oil? Those are extra weights alone.
  • AlmaPetraAlmaPetra Posts: 104Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    MsFinesse wrote: »
    I'm learning more about my hair everyday. Your new growth is definitely like the back of my hair! I think I fell in love with V05 Moisture Milks Island Coconut and will use as a leave in next time to see if it plays well with my Aussie gel. The Aussie makes my hair soft next day, but my aloe vera mix give me some hold. Clarifying once a month had been doing good enough for me. If I didn't use gel, I would clarify only when my hair started to look like I needed it or my curls weren't being as defined. Are you transitioning? If so, for how long? You would definitely be considered a modified CG using cones. Some ppl can do it, do what works for you. My hair hair anything unnatural. I was suprise it took well to the soy protein milk. For your damaged hair have you tried GHE/Baggy method?

    Yeah! For me, the back of my hair (mostly the crown) probably has even tighter curls. I can't tell yet because it is still very frizzy and just doesn't want to curl but it feels kinkier and so I expect it to be 4b or 4c. Time will tell...

    Do let us know how the new conditioner plays out with the rest of your products. And what are you using the soy milk for?

    Yes, I am transitioning, and so excited about it. It's been 4+ months now. For how long have you been natural?

    My damaged length has 2 major problems: loss of the natural curl pattern, and high porosity leading to it drying out easily and quickly. I'm not sure if the GHE would help with that. But now you got me thinking that the GHE might help get moisture into my low porosity roots. How would you say that it is helping your hair?
    MsFinesse wrote: »
    Girrrl, I want big hair so bad... lol! When I find that recipe, the world will know. Btw, why are you using grease and mineral oil? Those are extra weights alone.

    One thing that gives me an illusion of thickness is to make sure that I SOTC very well after my hair dries.

    I also see some girls use a fro pick to fluff the roots underneath. It does make their hair look bigger. My hair doesn't fluff with picks though. It just becomes frizzy while maintaining the same volume. So sad :(

    But for actual thickness I'm trying to raise my low levels of ferritin and Vit D hoping that that this will help my thin edges. I think that if I had thick edges my hair would have looked somehow fuller. Up until late childhood I had thick hair so I'm hoping that one day I'll stumble upon something to take me back there.

    Have you tried any of these?

    I use mineral oil (or any other available oil), grease and butter to seal my high porosity hair in an attempt to seal the moisture in. But I use very tiny amounts so it doesn't weigh my hair down. It still looks and feels light and fluffy

    6vbmELb.jpg


    But I will experiment to see if I can cut them out of my regimen. I feel that my current leave-in is good, and maybe it can both moisturize and seal. But I'll have to test that to see if it's true. The mineral oil, butter and grease don't bother me though because they cowash out very easily alongside the cones (which I find very surprising) but cutting them out will mean less cost, less stash, and less time spent layering products :thumright:
    Save
    Save
    4a/4b, highly porous, fine hair.

    Co-wash: DevaCurl No Poo Decadence, AIA Long and Luxe Cowash
    Leave-in: KCKT, Soultanicals Knot Sauce
    Stylers: UFDCM, WLXG

    SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL
  • AlmaPetraAlmaPetra Posts: 104Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Btw I love your hair in that photo. It looks so well defined specially the sides. Is that with just AVJ without gel?
    I love the makeup too :)
    4a/4b, highly porous, fine hair.

    Co-wash: DevaCurl No Poo Decadence, AIA Long and Luxe Cowash
    Leave-in: KCKT, Soultanicals Knot Sauce
    Stylers: UFDCM, WLXG

    SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL
  • MsFinesseMsFinesse Posts: 14Registered Users
    I been fully natural for 1 year, I did big chop around Feb 25th last year. I tried transitioning after texturizing my hair for two years prior. My hair was too mixed to have a polished look that I was pleased with. I use to get them every 4-5 months. My hair always grew shoulder length and broke off and was very thin. I eventually got bold and cut my hair off. I'm happy with the way it is, except I want bigger hair. I tried picks and it makes me frizzy as well.I take High Potency Multivitamins and used Jamaican Black Castor Oil on my edges to grow then back. They are my stress spots, so I take extra thought in my styles for that reason alone. The soy milk protein is in the V05 Conditioner to help strengthen my fine strands. My opinion, I think you woukd definitely benefit from using a nonsilicone conditioner. The cowash I normally use is Cantu but I needed some protein but not too much to balance out my moisturized hair. When the last time you did a porosity test for your hair? The way I do the GHE/Baggy methood is first day I use my oil concoction with literally a bag on my head and leave it on for 24hours. I did laundry and walk to my son schoo l twice, so my natural oil were really working on that hot day. On the second day, I noticed my roots were dryer than my ends, which mean it definitely served its purpose. The same night, I made 10 sections, baggyed my ends only, used conditioner, curl whip, and my hair was super moisturized in the morning. I loved it! Normally, it be the driest. I only plan to these things once a week when I'm not doing my CG only method or when I notice my ends are too dry.
  • MsFinesseMsFinesse Posts: 14Registered Users
    AlmaPetra wrote: »
    Btw I love your hair in that photo. It looks so well defined specially the sides. Is that with just AVJ without gel?
    I love the makeup too :)
    Thank you for picture compliment! Yes, I only used 2:1 AVJ to refresh my styl this morning. Nothing else because I don't want to disturb my curls too much or get too much frizz. I only wsnted to reactivate the products in my hair from yesterday. At night I was going to try and pineapple, I decided to use my satin scarf to lay my edges and my bonnet on top. I sprayed in the morning, fluffed with fingertips near my scalp, plopped where needed, and viola! Lol My makeup regimen will always be a hit and miss. Sometimes I will and sometimes not. Clinique concealer, Sephora foundation, Clinique combo foundation for highlight, (keep my oily skin balanced), Lancom blush, Clinique eye shadow, Kiss cream eye liner, Sephora mascara, and pink frost lip stick from the drug store. How did ypu add that info in your signature like that? I been trying to figure it out since before church. lol
  • MsFinesseMsFinesse Posts: 14Registered Users
    A lil more frizz, but I'm happy! Tonight I plan to baggy my hair with oil concoction and leave on overnight. Im thinking high bun or pony for tomorrow after cowash. To be continued...
  • AlmaPetraAlmaPetra Posts: 104Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    MsFinesse wrote: »
    Thank you for picture compliment! Yes, I only used 2:1 AVJ to refresh my styl this morning. Nothing else because I don't want to disturb my curls too much or get too much frizz. I only wsnted to reactivate the products in my hair from yesterday. At night I was going to try and pineapple, I decided to use my satin scarf to lay my edges and my bonnet on top. I sprayed in the morning, fluffed with fingertips near my scalp, plopped where needed, and viola! Lol My makeup regimen will always be a hit and miss. Sometimes I will and sometimes not. Clinique concealer, Sephora foundation, Clinique combo foundation for highlight, (keep my oily skin balanced), Lancom blush, Clinique eye shadow, Kiss cream eye liner, Sephora mascara, and pink frost lip stick from the drug store. How did ypu add that info in your signature like that? I been trying to figure it out since before church. lol

    Hey thank you so much for the make-up break-down. I mostly loved the color of the lipstick and the eye shadow and how they match!

    Regarding the signature, I go to the UserCP under my photo (circled red below)

    n7wjydr.png

    And then choose I Edit signature (circled red)

    CJByokN.png
    MsFinesse wrote: »
    I been fully natural for 1 year, I did big chop around Feb 25th last year. I tried transitioning after texturizing my hair for two years prior. My hair was too mixed to have a polished look that I was pleased with. I use to get them every 4-5 months. My hair always grew shoulder length and broke off and was very thin. I eventually got bold and cut my hair off. I'm happy with the way it is, except I want bigger hair. I tried picks and it makes me frizzy as well.I take High Potency Multivitamins and used Jamaican Black Castor Oil on my edges to grow then back. They are my stress spots, so I take extra thought in my styles for that reason alone. The soy milk protein is in the V05 Conditioner to help strengthen my fine strands. My opinion, I think you woukd definitely benefit from using a nonsilicone conditioner. The cowash I normally use is Cantu but I needed some protein but not too much to balance out my moisturized hair. When the last time you did a porosity test for your hair? The way I do the GHE/Baggy methood is first day I use my oil concoction with literally a bag on my head and leave it on for 24hours. I did laundry and walk to my son schoo l twice, so my natural oil were really working on that hot day. On the second day, I noticed my roots were dryer than my ends, which mean it definitely served its purpose. The same night, I made 10 sections, baggyed my ends only, used conditioner, curl whip, and my hair was super moisturized in the morning. I loved it! Normally, it be the driest. I only plan to these things once a week when I'm not doing my CG only method or when I notice my ends are too dry.

    Wow I wish I were bold enough to cut my hair me too but I fear that I will hate my short hair. Also the social pressure will be tremendous lol. I will stick to transitioning for now and see where that will lead me. Maybe I'll big chop once my hair has reached a certain less awkward length.

    For volume, you can try SOTCing more vigorously after your hair dries, even on refreshed second day hair because refreshing a gel will reactivate the cast. I think that second day hair typically tends to be more voluminous. is that your experience too?

    I agree that I would benefit more with cone-less cowashes but unfortunately I live outside the US and I have very limited access to products. I think that I'll have to work with the cones for now until I've moved to somewhere with wider choice of products.

    I did a porosity test a very long time ago. The strands sank down right away. But nowadays I just watch the ease of getting water to penetrate my clean hair and the rate at which my hair loses moisture. The way it is now, my roots are rather low po and my length is very high po lol.

    I'm definitely going to try the GHE/baggy method. My roots are so thirsty nowadays. I hope that it will work for me. Does the oil help in any way?
    MsFinesse wrote: »
    A lil more frizz, but I'm happy! Tonight I plan to baggy my hair with oil concoction and leave on overnight. Im thinking high bun or pony for tomorrow after cowash. To be continued...

    Loving your hair in that photo! Can't wait to see more of your wash and gos :thumright:
    Save
    Save
    4a/4b, highly porous, fine hair.

    Co-wash: DevaCurl No Poo Decadence, AIA Long and Luxe Cowash
    Leave-in: KCKT, Soultanicals Knot Sauce
    Stylers: UFDCM, WLXG

    SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file