Curly friends I need your help!

Gemma.MilburGemma.Milbur Posts: 2Registered Users
I've been fighting a losing battle with my hair for at least 6 months now and it doesn't appear to be getting any better. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

I think I'm about a 2c, fine and medium dense. I was in a nice (non CG) routine with my hair for several years, but life changed and it stopped working. First of all, I was short on money and started using cheaper shampoo. It seemed to work OK for a while so I didn't think anything of it. Second of all, I moved to a new town and have since realised it is a very hard water area. The first issue I had was that my hair was brittle and frizzy, so I decided to go back to my old moroccanoil shampoo and conditioner. Before long my hair became extremely over moisturised with silicone build up. I then discovered this website and decided to try elements of the CG method. I did a few last sulphate washes to try and get rid of the silicone and then switched to a low poo shampoo and silicone free conditioner, which I've stuck to for several months now. However, my hair still becomes over moisturised very easily and is often limp and won't hold a curl. Whether my hair is dry or over moisturised, I ALWAYS struggle with frizz and lack of definition. Product wise, I have tried Jessicurl gelebration spray and Confident coils and really found no benefit from them, in fact I really don't think gel works for me at all. I've actually gone back to a sulphate shampoo for the last couple of washes and my hair is much less limp and holding a curl better but STILL frizzy. Sigh

Has anyone been through anything similar? Can you recommend a routine and/or any products? I'm so sick of having frizzy, out of control hair! :(

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Were you doing any protein treatments? It's really important to maintain the protein-moisture balance. It sounds like you were moisturizing without any protein which threw your hair out of balance, which resulted in overconditioned, limp, frizzy hair.

Joico K-pak is popular, Aphogee's 2 Step Treatment is, too, but that might be over the top for you, that's a really strong protein treatment. You could look up "gelatine protein treatment". I do that one and it works. It's just unflavored gelatin, water, a little olive oil and a few drops of vinegar.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • cherrygoocherrygoo Posts: 10Registered Users
    I've been fighting a losing battle with my hair for at least 6 months now and it doesn't appear to be getting any better. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

I think I'm about a 2c, fine and medium dense. I was in a nice (non CG) routine with my hair for several years, but life changed and it stopped working. First of all, I was short on money and started using cheaper shampoo. It seemed to work OK for a while so I didn't think anything of it. Second of all, I moved to a new town and have since realised it is a very hard water area. The first issue I had was that my hair was brittle and frizzy, so I decided to go back to my old moroccanoil shampoo and conditioner. Before long my hair became extremely over moisturised with silicone build up. I then discovered this website and decided to try elements of the CG method. I did a few last sulphate washes to try and get rid of the silicone and then switched to a low poo shampoo and silicone free conditioner, which I've stuck to for several months now. However, my hair still becomes over moisturised very easily and is often limp and won't hold a curl. Whether my hair is dry or over moisturised, I ALWAYS struggle with frizz and lack of definition. Product wise, I have tried Jessicurl gelebration spray and Confident coils and really found no benefit from them, in fact I really don't think gel works for me at all. I've actually gone back to a sulphate shampoo for the last couple of washes and my hair is much less limp and holding a curl better but STILL frizzy. Sigh

Has anyone been through anything similar? Can you recommend a routine and/or any products? I'm so sick of having frizzy, out of control hair! :(
    Hi! I live in an area with extremely hard water. I use gallons of distilled water to wash my hair once a week. I slightly heat the water (not too hot because it will dry out your hair) on the stovetop then funnel it back into the gallon. I pour it over my head in the shower and do my usual wash routine. It has taken care of that aspect of hair life for me. Now if I could just find a stylist as good as the one back home....
  • cherrygoocherrygoo Posts: 10Registered Users

Hi, also having a good haircut is the number one for combating frizz and curl definition. I never have a problem with frizz when I have a good haircut. I have a mix of waves and curly ringlets, and I would consider my hair to be not dry ( I don't do heat at all, or color). I have a stylist back home who is magical with the haircuts she gave me, to the point that no one where I live now has never heard of the cut she does. But it's the best cut I've ever had. As far as products, there is a shampoo called Pure Life Papaya, that is amazing and organic. It has actual papaya extract. I only use the shampoo, and it's like using just conditioner...it is light and won't weigh down hair. It's the perfect mix. Also, use a t-shirt to gently squeeze your hair after washing, it's much better than a towel.
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yup, I 2nd the gelatin protein treatment. You don't need anything other than the gelatin and water, despite what the recipe says, as most find that to be sufficient. I have similar hair to you, and personally I also love irish moss as a styler, as I find it to be very balancing for the hair--a good combo of protein/strength and moisture. It does work for deep treatments too but I find it most effective as a styler.
    As for hard water, doing an occasional chelating shampoo, or an apple cider vinegar rinse will help remove the mineral buildup from your hair.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Maybe this post will be helpful to you: Science-y Hair Blog: Hard Water and Your Hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i agree with doing protein treatments -- fine hair needs more protein. my hair loves curl junkie repair me. :love4: it has a perfect balance of protein/moisture so you never need to do a deep conditioning after. and it's user-friendly, already perfect in the bottle, use as much or as little as you need, whenever.

and i also agree with a good haircut.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    rbb wrote: »
    i agree with doing protein treatments -- fine hair needs more protein. my hair loves curl junkie repair me. :love4: it has a perfect balance of protein/moisture so you never need to do a deep conditioning after. and it's user-friendly, already perfect in the bottle, use as much or as little as you need, whenever.

and i also agree with a good haircut.

Yes, totally- curl junkie repair me is the best protein treatment out there for me, not drying, just right.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file