Weighing/weight

MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
WHY does my weight fluctuate SO much?

I can weigh myself at 6 am and weigh 10 lbs heavier at night.
Or it varies 5-10 lbs every other day.

I am currently at my HEAVIEST weight ever(except pregnancies,and if I gain 8 more,I will be at delivery weight!)
SO-now instead of wanting to drop 10 and firm and tone up,now I need to lose 20!!!!

SOMEBODY motivate my lazy butt!
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa

Comments

• Aries_jbAries_jb Posts: 1,556Registered Users
    Number one thing to remember: scales lie! I don't care how high tech they are, they have no clue what they're talking about :lol: . Seriously, though, I recently bought another scale and lo and behold in a matter of six hours I gained 8lbs! I use my scale as a point of reference, since it measures my body fat, but I don't let it control how fat or thin I feel.

I have to say that the thing that motivates me most and what also what I most look forward to is the light feeling I get from losing weight. I no longer feel sluggish or beat myself up over splurging a bit with my diet. I look forward to grabbing any pair of pants out of the closet and having them fit me instead of having to try on my pants until I find one that fits. I love to exercise at that point because I'm no longer doing it to lose weight, but to maintain and to tone, which to me is easier.

Hopefully there's some motivation for you somewhere in my post :D . Good luck!
    www.myspace.com/littlemonkey0403
    3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.
  • CherishCherish Posts: 1,847Registered Users
    It sounds like water weight to me. Might depend on how much sodium you're consuming from one day to the next. I wouldn't worry about it, unless the weight sticks around.
    Aries_jb wrote:
    Number one thing to remember: scales lie! I don't care how high tech they are, they have no clue what they're talking about :lol: . Seriously, though, I recently bought another scale and lo and behold in a matter of six hours I gained 8lbs! I use my scale as a point of reference, since it measures my body fat, but I don't let it control how fat or thin I feel.

This happened to me a couple of years ago when I got my new high tech scale :lol: I guess it must be "anti-vanity scaling".
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My theory is that the gravity fields around certain scales are higher, so you weigh more. That happens with my home scale, 4 lbs diff in 2 days. I try to weigh only on one scale at my health club, but sometimes I just have to weigh at home especially (TMI) if I just had a great BM.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    My theory is that the gravity fields around certain scales are higher, so you weigh more. That happens with my home scale, 4 lbs diff in 2 days. I try to weigh only on one scale at my health club, but sometimes I just have to weigh at home especially (TMI) if I just had a great BM.

LOL! I will plead the fifth on this one because I'm not as brave as you :lol: [/b]
    3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.
  • CurlyCaseyCurlyCasey Posts: 224Registered Users
    Cherish wrote:
    It sounds like water weight to me. Might depend on how much sodium you're consuming from one day to the next. I wouldn't worry about it, unless the weight sticks around.

...Okay, I'm running out right now to get one of those salt licks like they give to horses.
    :shock: :lol:

But, seriously. I usually weigh 125, and I weighed myself in the morning yesterday, when you are supposedly the lightest because you haven't eaten yet, and I weighed 129! I just want to either lose 10 pounds and/or tone up a bit, and this new weight is not encouraging! I refuse to believe that I gained 4 pounds in a few days. Stupid scales. :evil:
    3a/3b mix of ringlets and spiral curls
    BWC Rosemary Mint Tea Tree Conditioner,
    Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner,
    ***Aloe Vera Gel***
    Simplicity is best, at least for my hair. I co-wash every two days or so with the BWC and use the AOHR as a rinse-out when I need moisture. On other days, I just water wash, and I use AV gel every day to style. I air-dry and don't brush or comb my hair.

More and more I'm finding scales to be completely useless. I was just thinking this morning that I would love a scale that encouraged me. You know, when I step on it, it could say, "Well, you seem to have gained 3 pounds, but who cares? Look at you! You are HOT! You go on with your fine self and have some french toast for breakfast, you sexy thang!"

Now that, I would pay good money for. :lol:
  • La wavyLa wavy Posts: 52Registered Users
    What a brilliant idea! I definitely think you should invent this. You'll make millions of dollars. Since absolutely no one feels good when they get on the scale...even if it's a good result... because as soon as you eat something, you usually start worrying about how it's going to impact that number that is supposed to be telling you how you should feel about your body in the first place.
  • DDRunnerDDRunner Posts: 31Registered Users
    I agree that all scales are different. Also, I am a firm believer in not using a scale. If my jeans are getting snug then I know I need to watch what I eat and/or run a few more miles. Also, when you start weight training you will put on weight --- muscle. If you'll excuse me, I have to go eat some chocolate easter eggs--a couple extra miles tomorrow for me :D
    2B/3A?? Newbie trying lots of new products thanks to all the info from my "curlfriends"
  • MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OK-I have been trying to not east as much junk and am at a more "normal" weight for me,143 lbs.
    I feel my best about 10 lbs lighter,though,so need to get cracking!
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    my nutrtionist said that weighing 2-3 times a week is better than once a week or less...she said it gives you a chance to make frequent adjustments in your eating to keep you weight in check. i don't always like to get on but it does keep me honest and it is accurate....the changes are what i pay the most attention too...
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • ontheoutsideontheoutside Posts: 35Registered Users
    interesting fact?

you weigh less when the moon is directly above you.

haha cool right?
  • QuirkyYoginiQuirkyYogini Posts: 569Registered Users
    Also, you could be at the time of month when you are retaining water. I gain anywhere from 5 to 8 pounds in water weight a few days before and during my period. A few days after, I weigh myself and sometimes I've lost more weight than I gained in water weight! Weird... Also, a change in workout routine can change your weight, too.

Remember that consistency is important, but don't focus too much on the number. How do you look and feel?
    I have 3c hair that I haven't straightened in over 5 years. It's just past shoulder length when dry, and almost waist length when pulled straight.

Products:
    9/02/08 Went CG
    05/12/09 Still CG. Cowashing with VO5 Lavender Luster. I then condition with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. Styling with VO5 Lavender Luster conditioner with my wide-toothed comb.

http://public.fotki.com/QuirkyYogini/

• NYCurlyGirlyNYCurlyGirly Posts: 1,012Registered Users
    Aries_jb wrote: »
    More and more I'm finding scales to be completely useless. I was just thinking this morning that I would love a scale that encouraged me. You know, when I step on it, it could say, "Well, you seem to have gained 3 pounds, but who cares? Look at you! You are HOT! You go on with your fine self and have some french toast for breakfast, you sexy thang!"

Now that, I would pay good money for. :lol:

this scale exists!! http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.F05316.desc.Mary-Lous-Weigh-Motivational-Platform-With-Booklet-DVD

It never gives you a number, just takes a starting weight and from there lets you know how much you gain/lose!! I havent purchased yet but it looks pretty awesome!
    "Yo, James, i'm really happy for you, i'm gonna let you finish killing Bella in a minute, but Demetri was one of the best Trackers of ALL time!"

www.myspace.com/mimichica
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I started charting my weight again a month ago and then I stopped because it made me crazy.

And when you lift like I do, weight fluctuation will drive you insane because the extra water and glycogen in the muscle makes you even heavier.

Heavier, yes but not bigger and thats all that matters.

Use your clothes as your guide instead.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file