Am I in the right category?

YeayeahYeayeah Posts: 100Registered Users Curl Novice
I was wondering with my specific hair type was so I was wondering if you guys can tell me what is my hair type because I really know nothing about hair and if know my hair type then I can just look up on it and find better ways to maintain it and I can't take the quiz since I know nothing of hair. Here is my pictures.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_0569.jpg
IMG_1913.jpg
IMG_2978.jpg
IMG_3379.jpg
IMG_4299.jpg

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It looks like a 3C/4A combo to me.

For styling, knowing that is useful, but for hair care, you need to know texture (are the individual hairs fine or coarse or in between?), density (do you have a ton of hair on your head, not a lot, in between?) and porosity, which is how open the outer layer of each hair is. Don't do the water test, that doesn't work. Often, you can tell porosity from how easily it gets wet and how quickly it dries. High porosity hair gets super wet very easily and dries within an hour or two. Normal porosity hair takes a little bit to get wet and dries within 2-4 hours. Low porosity hair takes a while to get wait and a really long time to dry.

I'd just read through threads on the 3 and 4 forums and in the general discussion forum and see what works for others. Not everything will work for you, but some of it will. And of course ask questions. You could specifically search for LOC and LCO, those methods (well, it's the same thing, different order) seem to be pretty popular. My hair is too fine and thin to layer a lot of product on, but a ton of curlies swear by it.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • YeayeahYeayeah Posts: 100Registered Users Curl Novice

For styling, knowing that is useful, but for hair care, you need to know texture (are the individual hairs fine or coarse or in between?), density (do you have a ton of hair on your head, not a lot, in between?) and porosity, which is how open the outer layer of each hair is. Don't do the water test, that doesn't work. Often, you can tell porosity from how easily it gets wet and how quickly it dries. High porosity hair gets super wet very easily and dries within an hour or two. Normal porosity hair takes a little bit to get wet and dries within 2-4 hours. Low porosity hair takes a while to get wait and a really long time to dry.

I'd just read through threads on the 3 and 4 forums and in the general discussion forum and see what works for others. Not everything will work for you, but some of it will. And of course ask questions. You could specifically search for LOC and LCO, those methods (well, it's the same thing, different order) seem to be pretty popular. My hair is too fine and thin to layer a lot of product on, but a ton of curlies swear by it.

I think my hair is coarse since its nappy my hair kinda takes a lot to get wet when I try to rinse it in the sink i gotta see how long it takes to dry but il say like 3-4 hours so how does knowing this information help me with taking car of my hair?
  • Stinalee1120Stinalee1120 Posts: 67Registered Users Curl Novice
    Yeayeah wrote: »

I think my hair is coarse since its nappy my hair kinda takes a lot to get wet when I try to rinse it in the sink i gotta see how long it takes to dry but il say like 3-4 hours so how does knowing this information help me with taking car of my hair?

Im not really seeing any type 4 hair. It mostly looks 3c to me, but you can still find great info on the type 4 board. Coarseness only means you have very thick individual hair strands not how kinky your overall hair is. It is important because if you happen to be low porosity, then it means you may have a hard time getting your hair moisturized because products will tend to sit on the hair instead of penetrating the cuticles. It would help to spritz your hair with warm water first to open the cuticles. If your are high porosity it means your cuticles are open and moisture/products can easily enter and leave. Your hair will dry out faster so your have to take care and seal it in properly. If you are normal porosity then you really don't have to do anything extra.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file