LICE!

Kill me now.

Just found it in 3 of my 5 kids, including my curly girl. I have literally never heard of a black person getting lice before so I have no idea how to tackle this. There is no way in HELL I can get this metal comb through her curls without some serious breakage, and supposedly they have mutated so much so that the shampoos aren't effective.

Any ideas? besides hand-picking every single strand?

Comments

• RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
    My long- and thick-haired curly daughter went through this years ago. The only thing we found to do the trick was mayonnaise. I've heard that olive oil also suffocates lice, but we needed the heavier mayo to coat all of her hair effectively. We left it in overnight and shampooed in the morning - and then, yes, I hand-picked after that. It took 5 days of this routine to get rid of all the lice. At first I was absolutely skeeved and used tweezers, but by the end I'd gotten pretty numb to it and used my fingers. Looking back, I can't believe I did it (gag). My daughter hates mayo to this day, but I have to say the hours spent together in the bathtub allowed for some excellent bonding time.
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    Mayo works, but you really do have to use the comb to get the nits off. They're glued to the hair shaft, so killing them isn't enough. There's a lady where I live called the Potomac Lice Lady and she does all the treatments for a fee. Apparently, she is the master of treating lice without killing hair. Maybe there's someone like her where you live?
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • OneEveningOneEvening Registered Users Posts: 14
    Honestly- conditioner. Lots of conditioner.

I used to get head lice when I was younger, all the damn time, and we couldn't seem to get rid of them. I actually had them at one point for a very long time. The one night (I can't remember how I came across this information) I put a tonne of conditioner in my hair, and left it on for an hour, then my mamma combed everything out, and I still remember seeing how many dead lice were at the bottom of the container she was using to rinse the comb.

Basically what it does is drown/suffocate them. We used a very cheap conditioner (literally a supermarket home brand), I put in as much as I could, and Bob's your uncle. Problem Solvered.
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Registered Users Posts: 1,354 Curl Neophyte
    I used to get lice all the time too when i was a kid, mum just had to keep my hair short the whole time n combed through anyway, if i got it now or if i get kids n they get lice i would make up an oil mixture somthing light and add tee tree oil to it leave it in for a few hours n wash it out with shampoo.

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • Jessica.WileJessica.Wile Registered Users Posts: 74
    A black person with lice? That's a first for me. We used to oil our scalps all the time because we have dry hair, so I thought that was why we were less likely to get them. It was an unfavorable environment. Throw some hair grease up in there. LoL I bet it still works.
  • OneEveningOneEvening Registered Users Posts: 14
    Can I ask why people who are black don't tend to get lice? I've never heard of this before. *jealous*
  • Jessica.WileJessica.Wile Registered Users Posts: 74
    OneEvening wrote: »
    Can I ask why people who are black don't tend to get lice? I've never heard of this before. *jealous*

Apparently, "Head lice that are found in the US prefer hair that is round in cross-section. This would be white and Asian hair. The hair of black people has an oval/flatish cross-section and this is not as attractive to American head lice, they can't latch onto it easily."
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    OneEvening wrote: »

Apparently, "Head lice that are found in the US prefer hair that is round in cross-section. This would be white and Asian hair. The hair of black people has an oval/flatish cross-section and this is not as attractive to American head lice, they can't latch onto it easily."

Actually, white and Asian people with curly hsir would have oval strands. It's straight hair that is round. Many white people don't have straight hair. I would think kinky 4b hair that doesn't look curly would be hard for the lice to attach themselves to the strands. This is just a guess.

As for people who identify as black and have the same types of curly hair found in other races, it's the hair products they use that detract lice. Grease and lots of oil suffocate the lice.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file