Irish Moss Gel.... New HG!

naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
I tried Irish Moss as a gel for the first time, and OMG, new holy grail! It gives me beautiful curls everywhere on my head and I can apply it even in wet hair. That's unheard of for me. Usually I have to squeeze all water out of my hair before applying anything. I made it like a serum which may help the volume. If I squish to condish with it I can leave it in my hair, taking the place of leave in and all other styling products. I can get definition AND volume. It gives wonderful hold on its own too! I use it by itself prior to diffusing and it allows me to hold the diffuser in one spot for a long time. The result is that much more of my head is 3a. I had spirals in places I didn't even know I had hair. I've also used it SMasters style, but I do like a dab of volume foam over it for added volume, and some all natural hairspray just to make sure it holds. It holds all day easily, and holds up well for 2nd day hair too! It leaves my hair moisturized and defined.
I preserved it with colloidal silver in the fridge, It's supposed to last for 3-5 days but so far it's a week and counting for me.

My recipe also had some additional ingredients for moisture and conditioning, and even a component that made the few silver hairs I have seemingly disappear, and also was great for my skin and face and made the few fine lines I have also disappear and helped reduce hair shedding (that's almost too good to be true, but it happened). I added in essential oils at the end to cover the scent of the irish moss.

Just curious, has anyone ever made irish moss gel before? What was your formula, and experience using it? Has anyone found a good way to make it stable longer in the fridge, and even out of the fridge (with traditional preservatives etc)?

Anyway if you have fine hair that gets easily weighed down I highly highly recommend trying this. Or for any hair type really.

3A/f/i
Super baby fine hair, low porosity
Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Comments

• eche428eche428 Registered Users Posts: 2,782 Curl Neophyte
    That's super exciting. Would you share your recipe with us?
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I used:
    2 tsp irish moss powder
    1 tsp rosemary powder
    1 bag of teapigs chamomile tea
    1 and 1/2 cups water
    1 tsp he shou wu

I boiled the water, cooled it slightly so that it was very hot, added it to the powders, let it sit for an hour, maybe more, and strained through a cheesecloth. I'd be hesitant to let it sit overnight, as the irish moss can thicken the mixture and maybe make it difficult to strain. Though my recipe is for a serum type product.

Actually, first time around I did it without the chamomile, and 2nd time without he shou wu. The he shou wu definitely made the difference in hiding the silver. Chamomile definitely helped lighten my hair more (as rosemary and he shou wu can be darkening). You can always play around with proportions depending on the effect you want. The color change, if any, is all temporary anyways. All these other ingredients are nice and conditioning for the hair and add shine.

I'd recommend making half the amount though, as it doesn't keep long (unless you want to use it as a DT too).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file