Flat front sleep head.

NicadeeNicadee Posts: 1Registered Users
I am new to this curly girl method and last night was the first night I slept in just washed and product-filled hair. I slept in a t-shirt plop. When I pulled it out this morning I had great curls on most of my head but my hair right in the front, the most important of curls, were flat and flimsy, particularly at the roots. No matter where I parted or if I rewetted and finger twirled, my hair was flat on my head. What can I do better next time? Please help with thoughts on how to better sleep in wet hair or with ways to refresh the crazy bits.
Thank you all so much!
Nicadee

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    hey, welcome :) .

do you think maybe if gently left front bits out of plop/T-Shirt that would help? another possibly is gently pine-appling length with silk scrunchy?
  • sarahisarahi Posts: 55Registered Users
    Hi, I find that I can't sleep in a plop, as i wake up with not so great curls and no volume. I find that i need to make sure my hair is 100% dry and then in a pineapple before I sleep. And in the morning, i just refresh any parts of my hair that might have gotten stretched out by the pineapple.
    3A/3B - Fine - Medium Density
    Porosity ~ Medium/High
    Shampoo-SMJBCO
    Cowash-As I Am Coconut Co-wash
    LOC: KCKT-Almond Oil-Devacurl Styling Cream-KCCC
    Hair length - APL
    Short term goal: BSL
    Long term goal:Waist Length
  • RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 182Registered Users Curl Novice
    sarahi wrote: »
    Hi, I find that I can't sleep in a plop, as i wake up with not so great curls and no volume. I find that i need to make sure my hair is 100% dry and then in a pineapple before I sleep. And in the morning, i just refresh any parts of my hair that might have gotten stretched out by the pineapple.
    Same here. I can't sleep successfully on wet hair at all, but pineappling gives me curls that are even better than the day before.
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    This is why I can't sleep in a plop, much as I wish I could! The front always gets matted, and no amount of rewetting (short of soaking my entire head) can fix it. The only thing that could work, but would be super uncomfortable, would be to put some clips in the hair in the front before plopping. That would give the roots some volume. But I think it would be painful to sleep with clips, even on the front of your head, because any movement of the plop cloth would probably pull on the clips and therefore on your hair.

If you are good at creating pin curls, maybe you could put pin curls in the front sections and then plop.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • curlynccurlync Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't sleep in plop either. If I wash my hair at night, I have success by pineappling while my hair is still damp and has a crunchy gel cast.
    2c/3a
    Porosity: low at roots; normal mid-shaft; high at ends
    Texture: mix of medium & coarse
    Density: medium

Low-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; CJ Gentle Cleansing
    RO: GVP Conditioning Balm; Innersense Color Radiance
    Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Occasional use: CJ Repair Me; Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo

CG (or mod CG since I low-poo?) since June 2015
  • CurlyZoeyCurlyZoey Posts: 17Registered Users
    Plopping overnight is a real gamble. I think it would be safer to use a tshirt/microfiber towel to get as much moisture out as possible, then very loosely pineapple overnight. Of course, the best solution is to go to bed with dry hair, but that isn't always possible.
    aggressively wavy | baby-fine | low density | high porosity

starting from scratch on products, Living Proof "Timeless" was a disaster (crispy dry after 6 mos)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file