How to straighten very short natural curly hair??

Hannah.HumphHannah.Humph Posts: 1Registered Users
Short type 3C hair (corkscrew curls). Just transitioned to natural about a month ago!

How would I straighten this? The curls are so tightly coiled and it s so short at the front and sides that I have a hard time not burning myself with the flat iron. I also don t want it to be puffy, so any recommendation of products I could use to give it a sleeker look would be very helpful!

Note: I have gone natural so I do not want to get it relaxed. Thanks!

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried rollers as the first step? Rollers, air dry, then see where you're at. There's a bunch of YouTube videos on no heat straightening you should check out.

Just be careful with heat, particularly flat irons. You can permanently damage your curls with just one pass too many or the heat one degree to high. I fried my hair and I'll be growing it out forever.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,227Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with Curlyamaryllis. Do a wet set with rollers. The youtube videos on this are excellent, but you can use a hair dryer if air drying takes too long. (Air drying is better and likely to be result in less puffiness.)

My hair is quite short - between ears and neck - and I do roller sets when I want to change it up. Doesn't damage the hair and results in a completely different look. My hair doesn't end up straight, but more of a vintage Marilyn Monroe look. If you google vintage Marilyn Monroe or check Marilyn Monroe hairstyles on Youtube you'll see what your hair will look like. Definitely worth trying out for an interesting change. Don't use foam rollers - they don't work as well. Any plastic roller will work. I can't use magnetic rollers but you may be able to do that.

Let us know what you try. Have fun!:thumright:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file