Why is my hair sticky? And how do I make it stop?

RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
For the past few days my hair has felt sticky when damp and rough when dry. It's also tougher to detangle in the shower, no matter how much conditioner I pile on.

I suspect that color plays a role here: I put in a Wella demi ash brown about 3 weeks ago that came out much darker than expected, so I went to a stylist last week for highlights. Otherwise, I have not changed anything about my routines (lol, haven't opened the bottle of sweet almond oil yet) because they were working for me.

I did a DT a day or so after the highlights and tried an ACV rinse last night. A second DT tonight seems to have made my hair feel even stickier. Eww.

So what have I done??? And how do I fix it?
2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Is it possible that the stylist used silicones on your hair? Do you think you have silicone buildup?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
    She may have, but at some point since then I used a sulfate shampoo just in case. Just out of sheer curiosity I'm going to try a keratin spray after my shower this morning to see what a little bit of protein does.
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    hi, :) .

do any of those have polyquats in them? i find those make my hair feel gummy and sticky as much as the cones dimethicone, cyclopentsiloxane, and cyclomethicone have once.
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    RafterBat wrote: »
    She may have, but at some point since then I used a sulfate shampoo just in case. Just out of sheer curiosity I'm going to try a keratin spray after my shower this morning to see what a little bit of protein does.

I was going to recommend a protein treatment after a couple of washes with a clarifying shampoo. Sometimes, just a sulfate shampoo isn't enough, some buildup is tenacious and you need a couple of rounds with a clarifying shampoo.

I have to wonder if what you're describing as sticky is what I would call mushy or gummy. That's a sign of needing protein, like really, really needing protein. I'd suggest looking up "gelatin protein treatment", you can make it at home, it's cheap and it works.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
    My hair was shockingly strawlike today, so the keratin didn't seem to help. I clarified again, and my hair felt nice and soft in the shower, but tangled and "wrong" afterward. I tried SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque, and while my hair's not sticky now, it seems very very dry and rough. I pulled on a few shed strands: they stretched about 1/4" before breaking. That would indicate a need for moisture, right? I'd absolutely try the gelatin, but I'm afraid of making this worse... :(
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    If your hair isn't very elastic, then you either need more moisture or more flexibility. The latter can be had by doing a prepoo oil treatment. Sometimes if I get too much protein in my hair, I put a few drops of oil on my hair at night and then my hair is more flexible the next day. Would this be worth trying since you are afraid to try more protein?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Therese1 wrote: »
    If your hair isn't very elastic, then you either need more moisture or more flexibility. The latter can be had by doing a prepoo oil treatment. Sometimes if I get too much protein in my hair, I put a few drops of oil on my hair at night and then my hair is more flexible the next day. Would this be worth trying since you are afraid to try more protein?

OK, oil is in my hair as I type!Thanks. :)
    hi, :) .

do any of those have polyquats in them? i find those make my hair feel gummy and sticky as much as the cones dimethicone, cyclopentsiloxane, and cyclomethicone have once.

HETT has polyquat-4, but it hasn't bothered me previously. Hmmm.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file