Hair Typing - How and What

SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 379Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I have been following cg for a few months now... there is so much to learn!! One of the things I have learned is that hair type matters. A lot. I think I have my hair type pinned down but just in case.. can someone advise how I would get hair typing done? Is this something I can lookup myelf or do I bring myself to a stylist? I had a deva cut done about a month ago and a consultstion was included, but she didnt mention anything about hair type other than I had a whole lot of fine stranded hair!

Can you help?
__
2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
:thumbright:
Canadian Mama!

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You can pay Goosefootprints on Etsy to do it. You send her shed hairs and she looks at them under a microscope.

If you don't want to do that, it's not hard, other than maybe porosity.

Texture is a continuum from fine to coarse and refers to the width of the individual strands of hair. Your stylist told you that.

Density is a continuum from thin to thick and refers to how many hairs you have on your head. Your stylist could also tell you that if you're not sure.

Porosity refers to how open or not the cuticle layer of your hair is and is a continuum from low porosity to high. This can be a little tough. Curly hair tends to be more porous due to the structure of the hair, straight hair is much more likely to be lowpo (low porosity). Damaged hair is high, and the longer hair is, the more likely it is to be high because it's old and generally has more cumulative damage.

Complicating this is the fact that your hair can be normal porosity at the roots and high at the ends, or high on the canopy (top layer of hair exposed to the sun) and low on the underneath layers.

Generally speaking, if your hair dries very quickly (under 2 hours), it's probably high porosity, if it takes 8 hours to dry, it's probably lowpo, 4-6 hours would be considered normal.

Now curl pattern is another thing. 2s are waves, 3s are curls, 4s are coils. 2A is light waves, 2B is more defined waves, 2C is defined waves with some curls. 3A is larger curls, 3B is sharpie-sized curls, 3C is straw sized curls. 4A is circular coils, 4B is zig zag coils, 4C is coils with little to no definition.

It's extremely common to have several curl patterns on the same head. So you can have waves, large curls and sharpie-sized curls, or straw sized curls and circular coils. It's all good.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 379Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    So is this... 3A? (This is the result of some amazing advice about technique thanks to the people here) It's usually way more inconsistent than this, I got lucky today. Usually it is in between 2c and 3a. I think. But somehow I think that matters less than hair width, density and porosity. Am I right?
    __
    Canadian Mama!
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Pretty :) . i think that is 3A .

i think knowing porosity is helpful alot because it can indicate whether a product will weigh strands down or not.

i.e, i have very very low porosity hair so sadly i have yet to find a deep conditioning product that will work for me
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 379Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I find that my hair either gets weighed down or is super frizzy. This, for me (as above) is a low frizz day. Frizz is a beast...
    __
    Canadian Mama!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file