Tips for coarse/curly/wavy/dry hair?

hi okay so first off my hair is confusing. on the underneath it's flat curls starting spiral at the top fading into an s shape, my baby hairs are straight up spiral curls, and my top layers are frizzy wavy/curly. I'm Mexican and my hair is super thick and super coarse but any products meant for ethnic hair just weigh it down and don't help the frizzy or dryness. I've tried to stop using heat but I just need my curls to be either all the curly, or completely wavy. I've tried so many products, including carols daughter leave in, cantu repair, it's a 10, coconut oil, macadamia nut deep conditioner and many more. I don't use shampoo very often and I've started acv rinses but that doesn't make it shiny it makes it flat but frizzy. I also have tons of broken off hair that creates the frizz but is made worse because they're much curlier than the rest of my hair.

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    My hair is very fine, and I don't have experience with coarse hair...but I am wondering whether it would help to do a really good shampoo to get a clean slate and then do a deep treatment conditioning *with heat*. I wonder if your hair is low porosity and isn't absorbing moisturizers very well--letting your conditioner sit on top of your hair with heat should help it to penetrate. You might want to read through the threads on the Low-Porosity subforum or search the articles at naturallycurly.com for "low porosity" to see if that sounds like your hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    I highly doubt hair that damaged is low porosity, though a deep conditioning treatment with heat would certainly help.

Here's the thing: Curly hair looks its best when it's healthy. In order to get it healthy, you need to stop damaging it. This means accepting that not all of your hair is going to be exactly the same all the time and treating it very gently, no heat, no curling irons, etc.

Most curlies have a lot of variation in their curl pattern. It's totally normal. My own hair is 3A in the front and at the nape of my neck and 2C in the back. There's nothing to fix, it's just the way my hair is.

So I'd start by being super gentle with your hair and moisturizing as much as you can. Deep conditioning treatments, protein treatments, cowashing if your hair can handle it, low poo if not, put leave in conditioner on soaking wet hair to trap as much moisture as possible, then gel to help prevent frizz.

It will take time. I know it's frustrating, I'm growing out bleach and heat damage and I look sad right now, but there's nothing for it but to wait.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • AmKoAmKo Registered Users Posts: 96 Curl Neophyte
    Hey there! My hair is 2c and has a lot of coarse hair (along with fine, very fine, and medium all mixed in!) Let's just say it has variety, haha! Anyhow, my hair is low porosity and I also had trouble finding products that didn't just weigh it down and sit on top of it rather than absorb. I had ALOT of that trouble when I was realizing that I needed to stop flat ironing it. What really made a difference for me, besides just waiting for it to grow out healthier, was deep conditioning. I really came to like Curl Junkie a Curl Rehab. The styling products in my signature are not to heavy for me. I'm still don't know that I have a "perfect" routine or if I have found my holy grails. But, I am very happy with it. Good luck, and stick with it!
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I don't know that the poster's hair is damaged; there was no mention of color treating, flat ironing, etc. If the hair is damaged, it might be helpful to use a deep conditioner with protein in it.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • AmKoAmKo Registered Users Posts: 96 Curl Neophyte
    Oops! I wasn't suggesting that your hair is damaged, I was just writing about my experience and how products would sit on my hair or be too heavy because you mentioned that products can be too heavy for you sometimes. I'm sorry if that wasn't very clear, just wanted to share in case it was at all helpful. :compress:
  • tamashiitamashii Registered Users Posts: 1
    I would definitely try deep conditioning with heat. That worked wonders for my dry, coarse hair. How I do it is I first make sure my hair is wet thoroughly but not dripping, then I put on a thick coat of the desired conditioner (my go-to lately has been Tresemme Botanique, the coconut one), and then I plop using a microwaved T-shirt to supply the heat. Leave it in the plop for 20-30 mins. Much softer hair afterwards!

I also do mini-deep conditionings while showering using a shower cap. (Disclaimer: my hair is REALLY dry, YMMV, not everyone needs this much conditioning!) After I co-wash, I put on my conditioner, and then seal in a shower cap while I do the rest of my (non-hair) shower routine. I feel like this helps my hair soak in the conditioner better, plus it helps contain some heat from the shower and my head. When I'm finished with the rest of the shower routine, I remove the cap and rinse as I usually would.

Frizz is still a factor (and I expect I will never truly defeat it!), but after deep conditioning, I found the frizz was more manageable with careful routine (do NOT touch hair while it's drying!) and the right type/amount of gel. :hello1:
    2B coarse/medium canopy, 2A/2B medium underlayer
    shoulder length, wavy with loose ringlets
    high density, low porosity, low elasticity

Co-wash: VO5 Herbal Escapes, VO5 Moisture Milk, VO5 Tea Therapy
    RO: Tresemme Botanique N&R, Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Suave Essentials Coconut
    LI: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
    Stylers: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel

CG since 8/5/2016
  • stream26stream26 Registered Users Posts: 40 Curl Neophyte
    Avoid brushing curly hair because it will cause hair to frizz and separate due to a breaking up of the curl. Instead, use a wide-tooth plastic comb to gently detangle the hair.
    If your curly hair is thick and coarse, apply a silicone serum to the length of your hair before you start styling or add other styling products. Avoid the hair closest to the scalp. I like Organix Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil Extra Penetrating Oil for Dry, Coarse Hair or Nexxus Pro-Mend Smoothing Shine Serum.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file