3A on top / 3C on bottom

rjaegerrjaeger Posts: 1Registered Users
So, the top half of my hair (layer-wise, not lengthwise) is a 3A - loose curls, low definition. The bottom half of my hair is tight coils - most likely a 3C.

The problem is, the 3A curls (top half) do not have a lot of volume and a lot of the time, it makes my hair look flat on top. Is there a way to make it look more like the coils? Or give it more volume?

I don't use any product, I just don't rinse out all of the conditioner, scrunch my hair with a towel and let it air dry.

Please help. Thanks!

Comments

• AlmaPetraAlmaPetra Posts: 99Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you considered washing and styling upside down and scrunching your hair in an upward direction to encourage the curls?
    3c/4a, highly porous, fine hair.

Co-wash: Herbal Essences Bee Strong conditioner
    Leave-in: Pantene Smooth and Silky Oil Replacement
    Sealers: mineral oil, grease, shea butter
    Styler: Ecostyler Olive Oil Gel

SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    rjaeger wrote: »
    So, the top half of my hair (layer-wise, not lengthwise) is a 3A - loose curls, low definition. The bottom half of my hair is tight coils - most likely a 3C.

The problem is, the 3A curls (top half) do not have a lot of volume and a lot of the time, it makes my hair look flat on top. Is there a way to make it look more like the coils? Or give it more volume?

I don't use any product, I just don't rinse out all of the conditioner, scrunch my hair with a towel and let it air dry.

Please help. Thanks!

Are you determined to not use product? If not, I'd suggest getting a gel (LALSG is good and also cheap if you're on the fence about it) and applying it to soaking wet hair out of the shower. Rake it through, then scrunch upside down, then squeeze out excess water with a t-shirt. Once it's dry, gently scrunch out any crunch.

It could be that you just have differing curl patterns, or it could also be that the top layer is exposed to more damage, which has loosened the curl pattern on top. Deep conditioning, protein treatments, oil prepoos could all help to restore the top layer and maybe encourage more curl.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file