Why do these curly stylists thin out the bottom of curls?

Question for the Deva knowledgeable: In Deva training, do stylists ever learn that it’s OK to basically “thin out” the ends of curls? I’ve had multiple Deva-trained stylists cut downward with the scissors so that each curl has a thick base and is tapered at the end. From reading “Curly Girl,” it seems like each curl is supposed to be cut so that it has a blunt and defined end, none of this “thinning out” business.

I have very thick hair, and I think they are doing this to get rid of some of the bulk, but I hate hate hate it. It’s only one step better than ripping my hair with a razor or texturizing scissors (which many non-Deva stylists have done back in the day). I like my volume and it seems like they are always trying to make me "sleek."

Basically I’ve only ever had one Deva stylist who I believe cut my hair in a flattering way. The others seem like pretenders who have maybe taken one class? They certainly know how to use the Deva products to make your hair look good immediately after cutting it (and they sell the crap out of those products), but after the hair has had a few days to recover, it turns into a sad, frizzy mess because the curl pattern has been destroyed and it doesn’t know what to do with itself. I'm pretty angry right now.

I really want to know if this is ever a Deva-approved method or if they’re breaking some Deva law or something! I almost feel like I want to report them to the authorities.

(I know that Deva isn't the be-all end-all of curly hair cutting, but I've only had one good stylist in my life and she was Deva-certified, so I was hoping to strike gold again, but NO LUCK.)

Comments

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    i think you are right, any thinning is not part of a deva cut. i would just tell them before they start, you do not want any of your hair thinned.
    (i've had a deva cut since i started the cg method, 10+ years).

and you are also right that the level of training varies, and i think they have newer levels and how they attain them. you can check that out on their website, devacurl, under find a stylist and it tells you about the levels.
    also, as in all professions, some are better at their job than others.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    Lorraine Massey was very against thinning curls, especially on fine hair. I have never had a deva trained stylist cut my hair well and the knowledge level varies. A lot of them only seem to know how to cut wavy and 3a hair. Odd since Lorraine has tight curls and founded the company. I prefer Ouidad cuts. Strangely the stylists never carve and slice my hair. It seems to be closer to a traditional deva cut.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Registered Users Posts: 383 Curl Connoisseur
    edited January 2018
    If you go to the deva site, you can find stylists with varying certifications. I agree, some of those stylists who take a day seminar and think they are curl gurus do not seem to be worth the price. And look at your stylist's hair!! I know some curly stylists who syraighten their hair. Not a great selling feature. Look for a stylist that has it going on up there and knows how to share the knowledge!
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, very long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    Earthtones Naturals Lover
    :thumbright:
    Canadian!!
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Registered Users Posts: 5,136 Curl Connoisseur
    You can't always judge a stylist's hair. Of the three people who have cut my hair well, one was a wavy, one was bald, and the other had thin straight hair. The only stylists I wouldn't let cut my hair are those insisting to straighten my hair or those with a dislike of curly hair.

3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Registered Users Posts: 383 Curl Connoisseur
    Has anyone tried Urban Curls in Toronto? It's a technique I have never heard of.. I don't see much feedback anywhere
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, very long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    Earthtones Naturals Lover
    :thumbright:
    Canadian!!
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    You can't always judge a stylist's hair. Of the three people who have cut my hair well, one was a wavy, one was bald, and the other had thin straight hair. The only stylists I wouldn't let cut my hair are those insisting to straighten my hair or those with a dislike of curly hair.

The stylist who gave me the best hair of my life has stick straight hair. She sure knows her curly hair stuff, though.

The thing about Deva-trained stylists is the thing about anything at all- not everyone is as talented as everyone else. Just because someone is trained in Devacut doesn't mean they're particularly good at it. Looking for Deva-trained stylists is the start of your search, then you have to look for people with good reviews, etc.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • dialzerodialzero Registered Users Posts: 8
    Thanks for the replies. I just looked up the stylist and saw she is "Deva Inspired" level, which I guess isn't very high, but she did have good reviews on Yelp. I also saw her previous client walk out of there with amazingly defined shoulder-length curls. I think the problem is that my cut is a little bit "edgier" (asymmetrical in front, pretty darn short in back) and she just botched the holy hell out of it. She was more focused on having fun than listening to me, or LOOKING at the multiple pictures I showed her!

There's honestly not much left to salvage here; I'm thinking I will have to let it grow out for at least a year. :angry7: However, if anyone knows an AMAZING stylist in Boston who might be able to do something with this hot mess, I am all ears. (Literally, you can see the backs of my ears, even though I explicitly told her I like some length around the ears). Whoever fixes this haircut must be highly trained and OK with "edgier" cuts rather than the standard-shaped, just-make-it-look-pretty, between-chin-and-shoulders curly cut.

If I feel up to it, I might post some pics later for your (dis)pleasure.
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    i remember back a few years there were several people on here who raved about one or two great stylists in the boston area. do a search and they should come up. it was in the stylist/salon forum.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • AmKoAmKo Registered Users Posts: 96 Curl Neophyte
    I feel your pain! I also had some Deva cuts that left me unhappy because of the "thinning". I am curious to try a Ouidad cut the next time I need a cut. Sorry that you had a bad experience. I hope it grows out or gets fixed for you. Good luck!
  • sdkittysdkitty Registered Users Posts: 360 Curl Novice

The stylist who gave me the best hair of my life has stick straight hair. She sure knows her curly hair stuff, though.

The thing about Deva-trained stylists is the thing about anything at all- not everyone is as talented as everyone else. Just because someone is trained in Devacut doesn't mean they're particularly good at it. Looking for Deva-trained stylists is the start of your search, then you have to look for people with good reviews, etc.

Same here. I have a wonderful stylist now who has stick straight hair but is very good at cutting curly hair and has a very large curly client base. I agree, there are many who have had Deva training and either don't have the same talent or really decide they don't find it that interesting.

I had one who had some Deva training who preferred to cut my hair wet. Her cuts weren't bad but she couldn't be bothered to dry my hair. I walked out with Very damp hair.

Another Deva trained one cut my hair fairly well at first but after a second or third cut, I basically had no layers.

It takes research, consults and trial and error to find the right one in my experience.

Sorry you're living with a bad haircut OP. GL finding someone better next time. Another piece of advice - besides researching here - If you see someone with hair you like ask them who cuts it. I found a good hairdresser this way one time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file