1st Anniversary-Natural

MyWomenPowerMyWomenPower Posts: 33Registered Users
It was a sunny day. You really get rare sunlight in England, so I decided to sit in the garden. I was happy. Really happy. But nervous. Really nervous. What I had just seen on Youtube, really did shock me.

I was surfing for updos when I realized that none of them would do for my curly hair. I searched, " curly hairstyles", and for the first time in my life, I did acknowledge the fact that my hair was curly. And not wavy or straight.

I was completely shocked. I saw girls who took care of their curly hair and it was frizz-free!
"frizz-freee???! nah, my hair would NEVER EVER look like that."

I stumbled across a Youtube channel called *CurlyPenny*, and clicked on a video, entitled "How to recover from heat/chemical damage".

This was when I heard about "damaged" hair. As the video moved on, hope increased in my veins and I could not believe what she was saying.

At 1:29, I fell silent. I immediately closed the video down.
" Chop my hair???????!, my long hair??!"

I then, discussed this with my sister, and she infact, approved what the youtuber was saying.
With a very heavy heart, on the same day, I had the big chop.
It was one of the most difficult decisions I had ever done in my 12 years old life.

And that's where my journey began. My hard, irritating, annoying yet wonderful journey, that made me, me.
I am proud of having done the big chop, and now a year later, I want to thank Naturally Curly and its editors for making me love myself, because regardless of how everybody else looks, you are the person that matters. Because the word "same" is boring. Extremely boring.

I honestly cannot believe it. I am sitting here, on my desk with my mane, that even though it's frizzy, and all tangled, I still love it to bits.

However my journey does not finish here. I still have a very long way to reach, and this was just the beginning.

So thank you again, JustCurly * Sandra*, NaturallyCurly, CurlyPenny, Luhhsettyxoxo, and many, many more youtubers, that really supported me in each of my worries.

I am sure there are sooo many teens or adults out there, who are scared of showing their true self because of judgement of others, because most of us live in a " straight" hair dominant community.
I too, have experienced, many, many, insults and horrible jokes by students at school, but at the end of the day, what matters, is you.
They called me eletricuted, jealous of straight hair, and much more, but I did not GIVE UP.
I would always type " www.naturallycurly.com" every single day or so, to capture and try any new techniques listed in articles, just to find a way of loving my hair. And I do. Dearly.

I still remember those days, when I wished I had straight silky hair just like my sister. Feeling different and excluded. Feeling horrible and helpless. Trying to straight those curls down, by combing them. I do not even have count of how many brushes I have broken down because of that.

And I still remember them, but only as a distant memory.

Regardless of what I thought and looked like before, what matters is me, NOW.
This is who I am, and I LOVE MYSELF JUST THE WAY I AM.

Nobody has the right to make you feel inferior in any way. Any way.
You are perfect the way you are and you are beautiful. Remember.
So anyone, do not get scared of going natural, because it is a wonderful and brilliant experience where you learn, share and make new friends.

To all those who have helped me, thank you sooo much and I love you.
NOTE TO SANDRA: Hey Sandra, thank you for all the help you have given me and for the support you still do. You are amazing and keep up the great and wonderful work.
I have not forgotten the line: " keep your head up and rock your curls". Thank you sooooo much. I love you.

Lots of Love-

Sasha

Comments

• justcurliesjustcurlies Posts: 38Registered Users
    Thank you so much! I loved reading your story, and you sure were very brave to cut your hair the same day you found out they actually were curly! Keep up the curly love :love7:
    www.justcurly.com

My blog is all about curls: Curly tips, curly hairstyles, curly product reviews, curly fashion and curly lifestyle!
  • MyWomenPowerMyWomenPower Posts: 33Registered Users
    Thank you so much for the reply! ♥♥ my hair would not have been the same if I would not have met bloggers like you Sandra. Thanks again! ♥♥
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Took me 40 years to figure out I'm a curly, you're smarter (and braver) than me! Good for you!
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • MyWomenPowerMyWomenPower Posts: 33Registered Users
    Aahaha!! thank you, but at least you did realize at some point. ♥♥♥
  • AlmaPetraAlmaPetra Posts: 104Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Congratulations on a whole year of being a proud curly! It took me almost 30 years to realize I'm a curly girl. You have so many years ahead of you to perfect your routine and help your hair be the best version of itself.
    4a/4b, highly porous, fine hair.

Co-wash: DevaCurl No Poo Decadence, AIA Long and Luxe Cowash
    Leave-in: KCKT, Soultanicals Knot Sauce
    Stylers: UFDCM, WLXG

SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file