Help me have better Day 1 hair?? Need expert advice!

SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 372Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Kinda-newbie seeking expert help!!

I have a strange problem and I can't seem to find a topic for it.. or any help..I have better day 2 hair than day 1 hair! Why is this?

Current day 1 process: I am using up my devacurl products but have made a huge order for curl junkie stuff. Just want to try something new as i feel i can do better and have less heavy hair. I do the regular stuff when it comes to cleansing whether it be low poo or no poo day... condition and rinse upside down.. currently using deva curlingcream on sopping wet hair and finishing with curl junkie's custard. Soak up excess water scrunching upwards, still upside down, with a micro fiber towel. I do have a hood dryer so i clip up roots and dry. Scrunch out rhe crunch. I totally suck with a diffuser.

The problem is.. my first day hair does not clump or stay all day. I am a mix of 2c and 3a but day 1 i am all 2c.

Day 2: spray upside down with water and a little conditioner mixed with a little curl junkie spray gel... clip roots and dry on low in hood dryer... fabulous clumpy twirly hair!

Can you expert ladies tell this newbie how I can get better day 1 hair? I seem to have low po yet dense and fine hair. Basically a whole lot of fine stranded hair. I know you can help!
__
2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
:thumbright:
Canadian Mama!

Comments

• SlinkyheadSlinkyhead Posts: 100Registered Users
    Hmmm.. Maybe your clumping problem is how you're applying the cream? When you apply it, are you raking it through your hair or are you smoothing it downward from root to tip. I find that a combo works well.. firstly gently raking it through to make sure every strand gets some and then doing a smoothing down "praying" motion. I think of that as similar to taking scissors on ribbon and curling ribbon..(some people actually call this ribboning..if i have a few pieces that don't look uniform, i just pull them from root to tip outward from my head..seems counter-intuitive because you're straightening the piece temporarily, but really you're grouping it then scrunching it to allow the texture back in) the downward smoothing motion of the two hands gently sliding down the hair encourages the hair to group together into clumps and then scrunch upwards then with the towel. Have you tried the pixi diffusing method? This is better explained on youtube, but essentially you put a small section of hair into the diffuser and bring it toward the scalp and then turn the dryer on, being sure to turn it off between sections so that no additional frizz is created and that you're drying the hair evenly. Keeping it on cool, or the lowest setting you have..just enough to help the cast form and keeping the clumps in formation while the hair is getting dry.. Some days the hair won't play nice, thats just hair lol. Its a lot of trial and error with products. I'd say the best thing to do is arm yourself with products for low dews and high dews. Humectants for the days where the humidity isn't an issue, but on those high dew days, you'll need a gel without glycerin or your hair will just swell up and the curl will fall. I'm still new to this too, so this forum + youtube has been a life saver! The two youtubers who's videos that have been the most straight forward and helpful for me are "hif3licia" and "frizz free savannah". Very clear about how to apply the products and great advice on diffusing also.

Type: 3a | NP | med-fine but high den | bob
    NP: Deva NP, DC low poo, ACV rinses
    RO: Deva 1 Cond orig or decadence
    DC: DC HIC, SM JBCO mask
    LI: 1 Cond, B'leavin
    Styler: Deva SPC or reg SC
    Gels: DC LDG, Bouncecurl
    Refresh: water w Lavender oil.
    Scalp: Lav/jojoba/rosem/pep oils.
    Airdry, wait 30 mins before diffusing.
    Loves a little protein in stylers! Hates heavy stuff.
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 372Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I am trying to push the curls so everything I apply I do from tip to roots in a scrunching motion. Most of it upside down to try to get root lift before clipping. Everything seems to clump nicely but once dry and scrunched out.. gone.

Never heard of ribboning, it's worth a shot!

My main problem with diffusing is that I have a LOT of hair and when I diffuse it i end up with all kinds of crazy waves/curls that go every which way! Plus it takes absolutrly forever to dry. The hold saves me.
    __
    Canadian Mama!
    I may also have to sacrifice volume for clump (current pic is day 3 hair!). it gets clumpy and flat on day 3 but is full of volume on day one with no clumping.
    __
    Canadian Mama!
    I tried the raking method.. it makes such a difference! Bedore i was only scrunching upward upside down and parts of my hair, especially the back, were remaining rather flat.. I certainly have day 1 definition today using raking however i used devacurl's curling cream (trying to use it up and move on) so my hair lacks life.. but i definitely have some day 1 definition that wasnt there before. Now to find a perfect curling cream or mousse that won't weigh my hair down like this!
    __
    Canadian Mama!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file