August Hits n' Misses

AddeeAddee Posts: 412Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Ok Summer is in full swing but is your hair?

Aunt Jackie's Cowash- Hit
I say it's a hit because it's the only product that's actually marketed as a cowash that I've ever been able to use in place of shampoo. Being fine and lopo I find that I really need to shampoo once a week or my hair gets dry. I was able to use this not have that problem BUT I can only slide for a week. I tried to use this two weeks straight and it was a no. My hair was so dry. I had to shampoo and get a clean slate. So I will be alternating. :)

Colora Henna Cream - On the Fence
My hair is extremely non porous so very color resistant. I think I get better results with creams than powders. This is is okay. I ordered mahogany but I think I should have gone with a darker color. My grays are hella stubborn.

SMCES as a DC - Hit
I usually mix a little store bought conditioner in with my homemade dc to give it more smoothness. Since my TN is precious right now I started looking at alternatives. I ran out of my usual and decided to try SMCES in my DC mix. It worked so wonderfully. I was really impressed and was considering not repurchasing the other one SM dc which has coconut water instead of coconut oil. However, the second week I used it and my hair felt protein crispy. I guess it had had its fill of protein. Another great product that needs to be in rotation.
Forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you.

Comments

• AlmaPetraAlmaPetra Posts: 104Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hit: reincorporating oil rinses into my routine. My hair feels softer and more moisturized. I might want to keep doing this every once in a while. I think that it does help with curl definition as well.
    4a/4b, highly porous, fine hair.

Co-wash: DevaCurl No Poo Decadence, AIA Long and Luxe Cowash
    Leave-in: KCKT, Soultanicals Knot Sauce
    Stylers: UFDCM, WLXG

SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hit: Olive oil overnight prepoo. Look at those curls pop!

Miss: Redken Curvaceous Full Swirl Hair Cream Serum. The smell was awful (not offensive, just overpowering, I hate smelling my hair all day) and it left my hair both weighed down and frizzy.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • JD.GameAccouJD.GameAccou Posts: 46Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I ordered some samples from Curl Junkie and was able to try them this week

Hit: CJ CoffeeCoco Curl Creme - Lite
    Love this for the weekend when I just wash and go, bought a bottle

Miss: CJ curls in a bottle and CJ Pattern Pusha
    Both just too heavy for my hair. Made my hair look greasy and feel
    heavy.
    - Rose

2B/C wavy, fine, high porosity hair

Mod-CG
    Poo: Renpure Bamboo Coconut Water Shampoo
    Condish - SoCozy Boing Sweet Crème Curl Conditioner
    Leave in- KCKT, JM Organics Citrus/Neroli Detangler
    Curl Cream: CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Creme-Lite
    Gel: *searching*
    PT: CJ Repair Me, Gelatin
    Pre-Poo/Overnight: Aloe, Jojoba & Tea Tree Oil Mix
    Clarifying: Redken Cleansing Cream Shampoo

*Allergic to Devacurl and Herbal Essences
  • AddeeAddee Posts: 412Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hit: Olive oil overnight prepoo. Look at those curls pop!

Miss: Redken Curvaceous Full Swirl Hair Cream Serum. The smell was awful (not offensive, just overpowering, I hate smelling my hair all day) and it left my hair both weighed down and frizzy.

I prepoo with EVOO all the time. But I do mine as a hot oil treatment instead of overnight. So I put it in like 15 min sitting under a hooded dryer.
    Hit - applying rice water and rosemary eo rinse mix to the roots of my hair. My roots tend to be dry but are more hydrated now.
    Addee wrote: »
    Hit - applying rice water and rosemary eo rinse mix to the roots of my hair. My roots tend to be dry but are more hydrated now.

Would you say that rice water is moisturizing? What is your porosity? My roots seem to be more of low porosity because they are virgin and I'm having a difficult time getting them adequately moisturized. Maybe I should try rice water?

Miss: protein on my hair. I think that I have to be watchful for protein in any product that I use from now on because my hair seems to be a bit more on the overloaded side now. I'll try to up on moisture instead, until my hair tells me to do otherwise.

AlmaPetra wrote: »

Would you say that rice water is moisturizing? What is your porosity? My roots seem to be more of low porosity because they are virgin and I'm having a difficult time getting them adequately moisturized. Maybe I should try rice water?

I find it moisturizing. My roots are kind of weird I guess. People talk about how sebum easily reaches the roots and how it the curly ends that are so dry. I did notice when I applied the rice water all over my hair that it felt a little proteiny. I think it was too much. But just applying it to my roots and massaging seems to do ok. I think it just rinses out down the length of my hair so I get some but not too much. should add that my hair doesn't hate protein. I need some protein but I have to be careful with it. If I use a cowash with protein then I use a rinse out that's protein free.
    Hit - Rice water as a skin toner. This stuff is just getting better and better. I have been using it on my face and on my body during my shower. I have a foot that's been a source of angst most of my life. It's dry peeling skin. At nail salons they look at me puzzled because my other foot doesn't do this. Since I started using my rice water, my foot feels close to a baby's bottom. I used a bag of regular white rice. Let it soak in water an entire day, they say the fermenting makes it better. Then boiled it. Then added a few drops of rosemary. I keep it in fridge in an applicator bottle.

Hit -Cumin paste on my skin. So since I was a teen I have dealt with boils on and off. Been to doctors. Tried prescription and over the counter meds. Finally decided to look to ayurvedic treatments and found out cumin paste is a remedy. It works well. I bought the ground cumin in the spice aisle and mixed just a little water because you don't want it runny. I apply to the boil and it helps take out the pain and dry it up. So when I had my monthly breakout, I thought why haven't I ever tried this on pimples. I looked it up found cumin is used on face for pimples and is rich in vitamin e. I put some on my pimples and left on a few minutes, then rinse off. the next morning I could see a difference. Did it again the next day and pimples were dried up and barely see where they were. I decided to do a scrub of my entire face and it did awesome at removing dead skin. The recipe I saw said mix with water or honey. I did water then applied honey after to deal with any dryness. I also saw you can mix with a little ACV so I'm gong to try that.
  • Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 411Registered Users Curl Novice
    Hit: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration

Yes, I know people have raved about this for years but I've never tried it until now. It is the best conditioner I have ever used and see myself going back to nothing else. So glad I found it.
    Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
    Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
    Latest BC: 11/24/2018

I find it moisturizing. My roots are kind of weird I guess. People talk about how sebum easily reaches the roots and how it the curly ends that are so dry. I did notice when I applied the rice water all over my hair that it felt a little proteiny. I think it was too much. But just applying it to my roots and massaging seems to do ok. I think it just rinses out down the length of my hair so I get some but not too much. should add that my hair doesn't hate protein. I need some protein but I have to be careful with it. If I use a cowash with protein then I use a rinse out that's protein free.
    Thank you Addee for clarifying this. Since my hair is currently more on the overload side, I'll avoid the rice water for now.
    Curlista93 wrote: »
    Hit: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration

Yes, I know people have raved about this for years but I've never tried it until now. It is the best conditioner I have ever used and see myself going back to nothing else. So glad I found it.

In what regard do you say that it is good for your hair?
    Are you using it as a RO?

I think you're on the longhaircommunity forum right? I made a post about it.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139431
    I'm not using it as a RO but as a LI/Style

I remember using HH as a newbie. It has a modified cone in it. So does Aussie Moist. I found they worked well after a shampoo but after that my hair felt coated and dry. Granted my hair was short then and I was cowashing like every day or every other day.
    I've recently gone back to cones. I'm loving it. My hair has been so easy to moisturize and make soft.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file