Stringy Waves

SicaSaysSicaSays Posts: 3Registered Users
Ok wavies I need some help. I'm still pretty new to the cg ways. I've been using lush for years due to sensitive skin. I'm trying to stick to all natural products, but most products have been to heavy for my poor waves. I have 2a/2b waves, I think low porosity, and medium to high density. I'm in south Texas so good old hard water doesn't help. With what I've been using my hair has been getting really stringy and falls before the day is even over. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    What products do you use and how do you apply them? Have you tried clarifying to remove buildup?
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Chelating also may help. Hard water, especially on fine hair, needs to be chelated from the hair lest it build up on your hair. There are chelating shampoos designed for this, or you can try an apple cider vinegar rinse (add a little to a cup of water). Also, agree with he poster above that we need to hear more about your routine to be of help. But in general, when your hair acts funky, clarifying and chelating are the go-to's to try first.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • SicaSaysSicaSays Posts: 3Registered Users
    I have the Giovanni invigorating tee tree for a clarifying. I had been using Shea Moistures coconut and hibiscus cowash and I would use the curl and style milk from the same line. I had been switching between Miss Jessie's Jelly Soft Curls and Curls blueberry bliss control jelly for styler.
    What is your hair width? Shea Moisture can be heavy if your hair is fine, and shea butter can build up on the hair.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • MeiMei Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Fine, low porosity, type 2 hair struggles to form thick, solid, curl clumps. It takes lots of time doing CG as well as finding the right products.

Your hair needs a clarifying shampoo and then a light conditioner (which you can rinse out some and then leave a little in for leave-in purposes) and then perhaps a lighter hold mousse. You should apply all your products in the shower and then plop for at least 15 minutes, then diffuse to 100% dry and see if that helps.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    SicaSays wrote: »
    I have the Giovanni invigorating tee tree for a clarifying. I had been using Shea Moistures coconut and hibiscus cowash and I would use the curl and style milk from the same line. I had been switching between Miss Jessie's Jelly Soft Curls and Curls blueberry bliss control jelly for styler.

Jelly Soft Curls left my hair a stringy, frizzy, crispy mess. I think it's the glycerin because another product did that to me and that's the only ingredient that both of them had that isn't in products I do have success with. (I will try it again in lower dew points, though.) Curls goddess curls was meh for me. Not terrible, not great, but I haven't tried the blueberry bliss.

I like KCCC over KCKT (works better together) and I've had success with LALSG, though not over KCKT. Are you using a leave in conditioner?

I'd suggest maybe low pooing instead of cowashing. I know a lot of wavies just don't do well with cowashing, probably because wavies don't tend to be as dry as tighter curl patterns due to the structure of the hair. I low poo, my fine hair just doesn't like cowashing, it gets really greasy and limp.

Also, how you apply product matters. Are you raking product through, scrunching, combo? Are you applying to soaking wet hair?
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • SicaSaysSicaSays Posts: 3Registered Users
    I do have fine hair and I've used up the Shea moisture. I've bought Pure Life Soap Co. coconut milk and honey shampo and conditioner. I've also got living proof curl cowash and styling mousse. When in the shower I scrunch it in then use I wide toothed comb to evenly distribute it and detangle. I squeeze out a little water just so it's not dripping. Then apply my styling product then attempt to plop my hair. No Leave in, I was worried it would just weigh it down further.
    Plopping doesn't work for everyone. It may or may not work for you. For me back when I had long hair, it made my clumps get all wonky.

One thing you may want to try (after clarifying) is the squish to condish method. This helps form nice chunky clumps. Here's the link:
    Squish to Condish - There once was a curl - by Melissa Stites]
    Edited to add: there's a video of how to do it on this site, right here:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/styling-transitioning/squish-to-condish-the-curl-enhancing-technique-you-need-to-try-today-bi/

3A/f/i
    RE: Your products, with fine hair, with the exception of the Fruit Fusion Weightless line, you generally want to avoid Shea Moisture. Some fine wavies use the tiniest bit but most don't. I've also found LP mousse to be on the heavier side though it's at least lighter than SM. Anyway you definitely need to clarify your hair from the Shea Butter. Otherwise your hair will continue to be stringy and act funky.

3A/f/i
  • MeiMei Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    SicaSays wrote: »
    I do have fine hair and I've used up the Shea moisture. I've bought Pure Life Soap Co. coconut milk and honey shampo and conditioner. I've also got living proof curl cowash and styling mousse. When in the shower I scrunch it in then use I wide toothed comb to evenly distribute it and detangle. I squeeze out a little water just so it's not dripping. Then apply my styling product then attempt to plop my hair. No Leave in, I was worried it would just weigh it down further.

Wide tooth comb on fine hair discourages curl clumps. I only use mine to detangle with my rinse-out conditioner in my hair and then I rinse it out with my head upside down and leave my hair sopping wet. In that same position I glide my leave-in products over my sopping wet hair then scrunch upwards.

Plopping isn't used for the same purposes everyone uses it for (ie I don't use it to encourage curls I use it to prevent losing them). Plopping for me ensures my fine hair isn't straightened by the "turban twist" normal people use to contain their hair after a wash.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • JD.GameAccouJD.GameAccou Posts: 46Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have a question! How do you know if two products don't work together? I mean, other then getting those weird white flakes people have posted about....
    - Rose

2B/C wavy, fine, high porosity hair

Mod-CG
    Poo: Renpure Bamboo Coconut Water Shampoo
    Condish - SoCozy Boing Sweet Crème Curl Conditioner
    Leave in- KCKT, JM Organics Citrus/Neroli Detangler
    Curl Cream: CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Creme-Lite
    Gel: *searching*
    PT: CJ Repair Me, Gelatin
    Pre-Poo/Overnight: Aloe, Jojoba & Tea Tree Oil Mix
    Clarifying: Redken Cleansing Cream Shampoo

*Allergic to Devacurl and Herbal Essences
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have a question! How do you know if two products don't work together? I mean, other then getting those weird white flakes people have posted about....

i would say generally if 2 products together make ends feel fuzzy , i don't use as combo.

also, for the OP, -a shower filter that takes out minerals might help. I have horribly hard water where i am too.
  • CurlyZoeyCurlyZoey Posts: 17Registered Users
    To tell if two products get along, I mix a little bit of each in my palm. If they blend seamlessly, generally--it should be fine. If they separate, clump, curdle, etc. then it's not a love match!
    aggressively wavy | baby-fine | low density | high porosity

starting from scratch on products, Living Proof "Timeless" was a disaster (crispy dry after 6 mos)
  • joslin2005joslin2005 Posts: 43Registered Users
    I'm a newbie so I could be wrong on this but I thinking I read this earlier. I think stringy hair meant you needed protein. I know there was a test you could do to check. You got a strand of hair and got it wet. Then stretched it. If it broke, stretched, boucned back, etc would determine if you needed protein, moisture, had too much protein etc. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.
    Curl Pattern: 2B/2C ( I think), LP, high density, coarse
    I'm experimenting with the following....
    Shampoo: Mop Top gentle shampoo, Mop Top clarifying rescue treatment
    Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave in: As I am, KKKT
    Gel: Kinky Curly Custard, Cantu define and shine custard
    Refresher: Geranium Refresher Spray (2c distilled water+5 drops of geranium essential oil), DIY spray gel (1 T Mop Top custard + 1 oz distilled water)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file