Embracing my Curls

Louise.MarshLouise.Marsh Posts: 5Registered Users
Hello, I've just discovered this great website, I’ve took the decision to wear my hair curly. I've been flat ironing my hair for years or just pulling it back into a ponytail. This hasn’t been kind to my hair its dry, broken has split ends. If I wash it and leave it, the hair on the top (which is thin due to medication) goes frizzy and the under neither is ok.
I took the hair type quiz and it came out as 2b and low porosity. I've included a picture of a time when i left it to dry natural on holiday.

Currently, I use Aussie moisture boost both shampoo and conditioner I also use Aussie heat protect. I wash every other day and dry shampoo the in-between. I find the roots get greasy quickly. I only flat iron maybe 5 to 6 times a month.

Any help advice would be great. I would prefer to go down the natural route if possible. I've done this with my skin (argan oil) and it's worked wonders.

Thanks Louise

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's very unlikely you have low porosity hair with that kind of damage.

Flat ironing wrecks hair. If you're doing it at all, do it on the lowest heat possible and use a silicone heat protectant. You'll need to use a sulfate shampoo to get it out, but you need to protect your hair when straightening.

You should probably do a protein treatment and definitely do deep conditioning treatments. Damaged hair doesn't curl as well, so getting moisture (and protein to hold it in) is vital. Search "iagirl protein treatment." It's cheap and it works great.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I 2nd everything curlyamaryllis said. Also underneath that damage I see you're more of a 3a. But I fear you won't find out how curly or beautiful your hair is unless you stop flat ironing. Going curly means a commitment, especially at the beginning. If you stick with it it will be worth it. I can tell your hair will be gorgeous. There are people who are CG who use a flat iron, but only once/year or so. If you're trying to recover from damage you never will if you keep damaging it. Grow out the damage and then as your healthy hair grows in and you cut the damage off you'll be shocked at the difference. Until then protein and deep treatments are the way to go.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Louise.MarshLouise.Marsh Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thank you for your advice. The flat irons have been thrown out. Still a bit confused on what products etc to buy. I'll get some protein treatment to help with the damage to start with.
    Cannot wait to start! Everyone's hair looks amazing.
    Products need to be experimented with, but it may help to know your other hair properties. How thick is your hair width, and what is your overall hair density? You almost 100% have high porosity hair btw. High porosity hair tends to need an oil or butter or at least leave in to seal in the moisture.

Deep treatments especially will be important for you. I don't know about store bought ones, as I don't use them. I love all the following natural treatments for my hair: irish moss, fenugreek, amla, catnip, fermented rice water, rosemary. Any of those would be good for your hair. Fenugreek in particular is moisturizing (so much so I need to wash it out of my hair when I use it).

Have you tried CO washing yet? If you've not done so, you need a final clarifying rinse to wash out the sulfates. Then you can start CO washing. That will help lots towards keeping your hair moisturized. In terms of shampoos the gentlest one I've used is Shea Moisture Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo. But if you can CO wash it may be better, since dryness is a problem for you. Roots getting greasy quickly may well be a sign that your hair is overwashed, as your scalp compensates for being drained from its natural moisture. Some people can CO wash; others can't. That will take experimenting, and over time your hair and its needs will change.

Also, if your hair has that much natural curl without any product, you are really looking like a type 3 head of hair.

I'd highly recommend reading Curly Girl: The Handbook by Lorraine Massey. An excellent resource to start with. Over time people leave behind some of her advice (for example many wavies can't CO wash exclusively or at all) but it's a great starting point.

There is a whole thread with a big list of CG friendly products. Can be a bit overwhelming but at least lets you know what you can buy if you want to be strictly CG.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/147483-cg-friendly-products-list.html

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • piccadilly13piccadilly13 Posts: 79Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi! Your story about flat-ironing and ponytails all the time is so familiar to me. I had thick, stick-straight hair growing up until I hit puberty, and then I had thick, coarse, crazy frizzy/wavy hair just in time for middle school! My family will never let me live down my 6th grade yearbook photo. :compress:

Anyway, then I discovered the straightener and straightened weekly for about 3 years - it took so long to do all my hair that I couldn't be bothered to do it more than once a week, and my hair didn't seem to get dirty that fast.

In spring 2008 when I made the high school soccer team, my hair was dirty all the time because I had practice every day. So I quit straightening cold turkey! Haven't touched a flat iron since. Even though my products were full of cones, little by little I saw more and more curl in my hair as the years went on and I know all the damaged hair is long gone. :thumright:

I started CG about 4 months ago, and I love how my hair has changed so far!

If you're interested in co-washing, I can't recommend As I Am Coconut Co-wash enough. It's only about $8 and it lasted me at least 3 months of co-washing 2-3x a week. I've experimented with a few others since then, but this one has really gotten my scalp to feel clean.

I have combo 2c/3a hair, and my staple is Kinky Curly Curling Custard (which you'll see referred to as KCCC around here). It's a little pricey, but worth it. But I'm sure if you poke around the boards enough, you'll see which products people swear by! :)
    2c/3a, fine, high porosity
    curly since 4/2008, CG since 3/27/2016

cowash: as i am coconut cowash
    li: kckt
    styler: kccc, brhg
  • Louise.MarshLouise.Marsh Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thank you. No i've not started co washing yet. I'm trying to figure out what to buy etc. It's really difficult to look through the forums with all the acronyms hehe.
    But from what i've read I need
    A clarifing shampoo - to rid build up of silicones
    A protein treatment
    A deep conditioner
    A co wash conditioner
    A shampoo for weekly use
    Then a styler
    Is this correct?
    Thanks
    Tricky question--not everyone needs a deep conditioner. But it seems like a solid base from which to work.

3A/f/i

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file