can a cut really make a difference

mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 886Registered Users Curl Neophyte
My hair has changed a lot in every aspect. I am scared that it's thinning (even though I'm not losing more than 100 a day) and another lady says she can see it's thinned. my husband says it could be something as simple as having a DEVA cut/layers before and now having one length. What do you all think?? Is it something that simple or is it something more than that??? The two with dates are now (obviously) and the other two are from the past 2-3 years
2c
Medium texture
Normal porosity
Normal elasticity
can get weighed down with lots of oils
Co-wash-trying giovanni wellness
Rinse out: Garnier Body Boost, GVP
Leave-in: none right now, maybe a touch of SM curling souffle
Curl enhancer: AOMM and KCCC
Gel: Kiss my face gel
DT:Jessicurl
Low Poo: abba pure and natural, Giovanni Wellness
working on: getting rid of frizz from the get-go

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair thinned from health problems. But right now I have the illusion of greater density than maybe I've ever had (since I straightened anyway back when my hair was high density). Two things helped:
    1) Fermented Rice Water, which does help reduce my shedding (as long as I stay away from sulfates)
    2) Getting my hair cut shorter, and layers
    If I do my hair a certain way, I actually have big hair now. And my hair was thinner than yours in the photos. Layers do help enormously. Can't say for sure whether that's the only thing different for you but it should help your problem, as longer one length hair pulls downward and you lose the fullness further up.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 886Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The only thing that keeps me hopeful is that it is only that is that my ponytail measurement has stayed the same. It dropped after baby 4, but has not dropped more, and I still had better volume after her. . . . even with the 1/4 inch drop in ponytail size.
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Your cut can make a huge difference in the appearance of volume. All one length is the volume killer.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
    thanks for your hopefulness!! I hope it brings it back to life and my curl comes back!
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
  • MeiMei Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I lose tons, upon tons of hair daily. It's everywhere. But I have extremely dense hair so I don't fret. I ensure I am not lacking in any vitamins or minerals. Some people's telogen hair phase changes throughout their lives, their environment, their diet. It's normal.

As for haircuts... Yes, haircuts make a difference in the way hair looks and it encourages a stimulation in the anagen phase of the hair cycle, just because you maintain healthier hair when you cut/trim it regularly.

My hair grows incredibly fast so it is natural for me to have a lot of shed hairs as my hair cycle completes faster than average.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • cherrygoocherrygoo Posts: 10Registered Users
    Your hair is beautiful.
  • cherrygoocherrygoo Posts: 10Registered Users
    But yes, a cut can really make a difference. My stylist back home does something called "tapering" in the back of my hair, that gives it this amazing thickness and volume...and that no one has even heard of where I am now, and so right now I have a droopy 180 cut. it's just okay. I'll deal with it until I can make a visit back home again. But yes, I do think if you get the right cut it makes all the difference.
    I don' have high density hair for sure. But the cut helped. I supposedly had too many under layers which made my ends look thin so I chopped it short to fix that and got a "deva" cut. But a friend of mine who cuts hair told me my layers weren't connected so she fixed my layers even more and voila. . .I' like!! The bad thing is she lives in COlorado and I live in NM so how can I maintain this cut!
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
    You have so much more curl! I really like this cut too. Maybe you don't need a cut all the time--you may be able to do a dusting off the ends yourself--and then see your friend once or twice a year? Or find someone near you, but good. You don't have low density hair. Medium at least. Looking gorgeous!

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    You are so sweet!! thanks for that vote of confidence, so many times I think I'm losing my hair, but at least I regained my curl!
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
    I've lost lots of hair and if my hair were as long as yours is now it'd be rather straggly. But yours isn't. I'd be happy with that density. Your curl pattern is very similar to what mine was at your length, though I think the bottoms of your hair is even more curly than mine was. And I'm starting to look more 3a now, at least the whole front of my head is. So you may well have even more curl tucked away there, waiting to emerge! I notice that even in your lengthy thick hair pics, you don't have as much curl as you do now at the bottom of your hair, as the length probably pulled it out somewhat. So you seem similar to me in that the shorter the length, the curlier your hair is.

3A/f/i

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file