Contradictory Packaging - Do I Do This or Not?

RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
I tried a demi color about 2 weeks ago that turned my hair black when I was looking for an ash brown. To try to mitigate this, I bought a high-lift medium cool brown today - the box says "lightens even the darkest hair." However, as I was doing the allergy test I noticed that the inner directions say, "We do NOT recommend using high-lift on hair previously colored any darker than a medium brown."

WUWT? So I have 48 hours to find out if I will be OK to use this product, or if something horrible will happen. I've used the brand (L'Oreal Preference) before, years ago, and it was fine then...

Any pearls of wisdom are greatly appreciated!
2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I know nothing about coloring hair, but is there a phone number to call on the box for questions? Maybe they could tell you the reasoning behind the restriction and give you more info.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
  • RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
    Haha, I wussed out and went to the salon for highlights instead. Thanks for the feedback!
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Better safe than sorry. I hope you like your new highlights!
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
    Therese1 wrote: »
    Better safe than sorry. I hope you like your new highlights!

Exactly! I asked for subtle, and the stylist felt that she gave me subtle-but-still-can-tell-there's color. It's quite a bit lighter than I anticipated, but came out sort of 2-color in a way I appreciate. A friend said it really adds dimension and plays up the curls, so I'm adjusting to the brighter new me!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file