Trying to decide if a protein treatment is what I need.

GoldenHelenGoldenHelen Posts: 6Registered Users
Hello, a little background on my hair, I'm mixed, (mom is black, dad is native) and my hair WAS 2c/3b, 2c in the front , 3b in the back. High porosity, high density, coarse. Four weeks ago I got highlights, and my hair was still extremely healthy, I wash with kenra color shampoo or HoneyBee scalp exfoliator, I co-wash with CJ daily conditioner. Yesterday I got an all over bleach (she used opalex both bleachings) and now... My hair is 2a/2b in the front and 3b, maybe very slightly tighter, in the back, it still feels nice, I overbleached a couple of years ago and know what it's like to have stretchy wet noodle hair, my hair isn't like that, it's just horribly limp now. No oomph at all! I was reading on treatments and was trying to decide if a protein treatment could bring my curls back, any advice? It's very strange for me to have hair that looks like this. I don't necessarily dislike it but it really has no volume whatsoever in the front. I find that the CJ ciab is too heavy for me now, I'm using botanicals sweet cream leave in, oyin burnt sugar pomade, sealing with oyin shine&define. It seemed to have helped the waves to be more... wavy. But seriously just want to make sure I can get my hair looking joyous again.
Thank you for your time!

Comments

• GoldenHelenGoldenHelen Posts: 6Registered Users
    So I decided to go down to the salon tomorrow to get a protein treatment before I start trying to tackle the protein rich section of curlmart.... um, is there anything I should do to prep my hair for this?
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Protein is a good idea after highlights. If they need to clarify or something, they will.

Could you update with which one you got done and what you thought after? I'm thinking of getting one done myself, I'd love a review. Thanks!
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
    I am doing an update now. :)
    Soooo, I got an olaplex treatment. ^-^ I went to our local cosmetology school because my best friend's cousin goes there and she accidentally sprayed the treatment into my eye. Ahaha, but the treatment itself. It's a two step treatment, the first is a liquid they saturate your hair with the second is a creamy liquid that sits in your hair for some 20 minutes, the results. My hair is still thin af. BUT the curls themselves have started to return. I am just going to have to start over with my curl regimen. Any advice for hair that is not only insanely thirsty but now gets weighed down by product easily?! My hair is not brittle but I had been reading online that you need to follow up a PT with a Deep Conditioning so I did DC when I got home, afrotastic is the brand it is just meh curly junkies banana one is way better but it is at my mom's currently, and I'd say my hair feels... okay. I am going back for another treatment in two weeks so hopefully I can tlc it back to some oomph.
    As a product junky, I think you can tell, I get a lot of different things this is what I decided to go with to hopefully help my hair.
    Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner

Curl Junkie Repair Me! Reconstructive Hair Treatment
    now for stylers, I want something water soluble since that seems.... to be... a good idea?
    Lol. work with me here.
    I am thinking the Camille coconut water treatments.
    All three of the items in that line and finally because my hair does have a tendency to dry out and because I just like to buy stuff I am also getting the alikay leave in conditioner, because it's in a spray bottle and because it is lemon scented and
    Alikay Naturals Wake Me Up Daily Curl Refresher
    Because my hair does dry out around 1 pm. Hopefully a holy grail is amongst them.
    ^-^
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Olaplex isn't a protein treatment. It restores the disulfide bonds in the hair. It definitely can help with bleach damage, but yeah, you'll probably have to join me in growing it out. Good luck!
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
    So hair update, my curls are popping and when I say popping I mean freaking POPPING WHOA MAN. I am soooo pleased. I will upload pictures soon, of before highlughts, post highlights, post all over bleach, and then post olaplex treatment. I look like a curly lion ^-^
  • SlinkyheadSlinkyhead Posts: 100Registered Users
    Did you get the Olaplex part 3 take home treatment? I'm interested in trying that so i wondered. My hair isn't terribly damaged but I am growing out a balayage. Olaplex was used when I got them originally then about 2 months ago I had an Olaplex treatment but the salon didn't sell step 3, which is what Olaplex recommends you use in between salon treatments. Glad you curls are back!!! Olaplex is good stuff but not fail-safe.

Type: 3a | NP | med-fine but high den | bob
    NP: Deva NP, DC low poo, ACV rinses
    RO: Deva 1 Cond orig or decadence
    DC: DC HIC, SM JBCO mask
    LI: 1 Cond, B'leavin
    Styler: Deva SPC or reg SC
    Gels: DC LDG, Bouncecurl
    Refresh: water w Lavender oil.
    Scalp: Lav/jojoba/rosem/pep oils.
    Airdry, wait 30 mins before diffusing.
    Loves a little protein in stylers! Hates heavy stuff.
  • Lara.PernatLara.Pernat Posts: 17Registered Users
    Show us your curls!:)
    I got balayage highlights with olaplex too, but my hair was TERRIBLE when I washed it. And by terrible I mean I had a nervous breakdown combing trough them, because they kept tangling and tangling.
    I didn't buy no.3 tho. I was just so disappointed in no.1 and 2, should I go back and buy it?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file