Do you want to grow your hair out?

CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Registered Users Posts: 590 Curl Connoisseur
In the natural hair community, I see a lot of emphasis and desire for long hair. Is that a part of your curly hair goals? I think many of us are conditioned to believe that long hair = healthy hair. What are your length goals, if any?

Or are you more focused on the health and definition of your curls rather than their length?
CG since Dec. 2013  B)
3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    My length goal is midback, but if my hair starts looking straggly, I will cut it back far enough that it looks OK. I would rather have nice-looking hair than long hair if I have to choose. Currently I am at about collarbone length.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    No. I mean, I need to grow out the damage, but I like my hair chin length.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I used to like longer hair but my hair looks so voluminous and healthy short. Might be because I also cut off my damaged hair too. I like it as curly as possible, because that's when it looks healthiest bounciest and most voluminous. And that happens shorter rather than longer. But if I had different hair, princess hair, I'd grow it longer. :)

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • AlmaPetraAlmaPetra Registered Users Posts: 104 Curl Neophyte
    Oh yes I would love to grow my hair long, the longer the better. I really have a thing for long hair! But at the same time, I do recognize that long hair and healthy hair are 2 different things, and I'm hoping to be able to grow hair that is both healthy and long through a lot of TLC.
    4a/4b, highly porous, fine hair.

Co-wash: DevaCurl No Poo Decadence, AIA Long and Luxe Cowash
    Leave-in: KCKT, Soultanicals Knot Sauce
    Stylers: UFDCM, WLXG

SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL
  • sarahisarahi Registered Users Posts: 55
    I would love to grow my hair long, and my current short term goal is BSL, long term is WL. But I do think that healthy hair is much more important than long hair. I did my big chop in the beginning of the year to get rid of my color damage. On me personally, I think my hair suits my better when it is long and curly. However, I do plan to enjoy my hair at every length stage. However, when i used to straighten my hair, I think it suited me better when it was short. I don't think you have to sacrifice the health of your hair in order to gain length. I think healthy hair is the key to be able to obtain long, nice looking hair. I would not enjoy having long hair, if it was unhealthy or straggly.
    3A/3B - Fine - Medium Density
    Porosity ~ Medium/High
    Shampoo-SMJBCO
    Cowash-As I Am Coconut Co-wash
    LOC: KCKT-Almond Oil-Devacurl Styling Cream-KCCC
    Hair length - APL
    Short term goal: BSL
    Long term goal:Waist Length
  • RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
    Funny you'd bring this up now, because I just decided this week that I want to grow mine out. Back in the straightening-iron days I had WL hair, but I donated ten inches and have kept it around shoulder-length since. In June I got a fabulous Deva-Cut chin-length bob: everyone else around me loved the style (and the cut was the best I've ever had), but I didn't feel like it was me. I also noticed that at the shorter length, some curls end strangely, as if they want another inch or two to be a full curl. Waaaaayyyy back in college I had long curly hair, and I'd like to try it again to see what happens to the curl pattern.

That said, I may fry it with color later this week, so I may need to hack some off and then start the growing-out process. I'm OK with that too. :)
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • MafiaPrincessMafiaPrincess Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 57 Curl Connoisseur
    Tailbone length hair is all I want, regardless of the condition it'll be in!
  • MissMilaMissMila Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 46 Curl Connoisseur
    I used to have hair to mid back when i straightened it. It was very dry and broken at the ends though. Actually not just at the ends.. when i went curly i chopped it all off to chin length to get rid of all the damage.

Now im growing it out again. I dont have a length goal, i just wanna grow it as long as possible while keeping it healthy.

I never wore my hair curly when it was long, so im really curious how it will look.
    At the moment its almost shoulder length.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file