Root Lift Tricks?

AlmaPetraAlmaPetra Posts: 104Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I suffer from an ugly super flat top.
Have any new tricks for root lifting appeared other than styling upside down and using clips?

My hair laughs at these. My top becomes flat as soon as I flip my head back up, and my hair gets frizzy too that way. I will probably need to let it fully dry upside down if I want the roots to remain lifted.
4a/4b, highly porous, fine hair.

Co-wash: DevaCurl No Poo Decadence, AIA Long and Luxe Cowash
Leave-in: KCKT, Soultanicals Knot Sauce
Stylers: UFDCM, WLXG

SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL

Comments

• ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    One trick i do is to purposely not part my hair in the desired spot before drying. I'll let it naturally part near the center. Then once I'm fully dry, I flip my head over, feel my way to where I want my part to actually be (deep side part) and then flip that hair over and then I'll have root lift on top for the rest of the day.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • AlmaPetraAlmaPetra Posts: 104Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hmmm this is interesting. I remember that I have done that once before but not on purpose, was just attempting to change my part on a whim. I remember the hair was indeed lifted because it wanted to flip to the other side, but at the same time, the curls looked unnatural and they were pulled out when I tried to "naturalize" the way the looked.

Maybe I should experiment more with this and see if I can make it work for my curl type...

Excited!

Thank you Ttoosday!

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It took me the longest time to figure out how to get some lift on top. After lots of trial and error I found that I got better results if I waited until my hair was about 50-60% dry before putting in clips to lift the canopy.

I put a tiny bit of a liquidy gel on claw clips and lift up pieces of hair with the claw part. When I tried to do this with my hair soaking wet, the clips didn't stay in place and kind of fell over, or even if they stayed it didn't work as well as it did if I waited until the hair started drying and getting some volume.

If this isn't clear, let me know and I'll try to explain better. I also did this just using regular pincurl clips but it works better for me with the claw type clips.

You might try watching some youtube videos about clipping. That was helpful for me. Also, having layers on top helps with volume, if the layers are cut properly.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    Thank you for the tips. I think that I will try the semi-dry hair with gelled up clips the next time I wash. This time I am trying the tip of parting the hair in the opposite direction to the final one. I hope that it turns out right...

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,524Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    What helps me is to make sure I apply my products all the way to the roots. I rake my products in, so I don't have to worry about disturbing clumps; it's hard to do without messing up the clumps somewhat. But curlypearl's method might be a close approximation of this, since she puts gel on the clip before clipping.

Curlypearl, do you diffuse your hair? Or do you air-dry?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I flip my head upside down and do the final rinse that way, raking my fingers through my roots and pulling them away from my scalp. I do add some water back in my lengths to re-clump the hair and break up frizz. Similar to the ice queen method.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1 I start off with very drippy hair which has a tiny bit of extra conditioner scrunched in and also gel. Then I scrunch a lot and then I let my hair air dry for 10 minutes. I read somewhere on nc.com that it helps the curls to "find themselves." I'm not sure I believe all that, but I hope it makes a difference!

Then I diffuse because I think it helps curl formation and also volume. I do the gel on claw clips thing after my hair has begun to dry and the curls sort of fluff out so that there is more for the clips to hold onto. Then I continue diffusing with the clips in.

I kind of rest in between diffusing, like diffuse for 5 minutes, then air dry a few minutes, then diffuse again, air dry again, etc. I try to watch tv or something while I'm doing it so it isn't too boring. :thumright:

I diffuse on low speed, medium heat.

Hope that helps!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    Hmmm parting my hair in the middle then redoing the part when my hair is dry didn't really work for me as I hoped it would. The curls just wouldn't fall into place
    They kept wanting to go back in the opposite direction. I think that I'm going to try clipping next..

• SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 379Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like volume so i do the majority of my routine upside down. And i like a sgraight centr part. The 2 do not seem to go together... i have tried making my part in the shower while conditioning and trhing to finish the routine upright which leaves my hair flat. I have tried making no part and just drying to chaos (yes with clips). There must be a happy middle. I am going to try parting in the shower.. still doing the rest upside down.. and seeing what happens!
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file