Weird clumping?

piccadilly13piccadilly13 Registered Users Posts: 79 Curl Neophyte
I'll try to explain this the best I can... when I do my hair upside down, all of it, I get weird clumps where some curls from the bottom layer, for example, clump with curls from the middle or even top layers. I don't disturb them while wet, because I learned that just pulls the curl out. But I have to deal with them when dry, and then they get really fuzzy and the curl comes out anyway. Has this happened to anyone else, and what do you do about it?
2c/3a, fine, high porosity
curly since 4/2008, CG since 3/27/2016

cowash: as i am coconut cowash
li: kckt
styler: kccc, brhg

Comments

• curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    How are you styling? For me, it works best to rake in my leave in conditioner and then scrunch in gel upside down, but then flip right side up and reposition any curls that have gone weird. This is all done to soaking wet hair. Then I gently scrunch with a t-shirt and air or diffuse dry.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • piccadilly13piccadilly13 Registered Users Posts: 79 Curl Neophyte
    I usually rinse upside down, rake in my leave in and styler, and then scrunch with a t-shirt upside down, plop upside down (obviously lol)... I usually keep my hair upside down until drying. The reason I always do that is because I always want more volume :) but I may have to look at other options.

• piccadilly13piccadilly13 Registered Users Posts: 79 Curl Neophyte
    Can we change this discussion to: how do you all rinse?

I've tried squish to condish rinsing, but I can't quite get the hang of it. The times I've tried, it's felt like I didn't rinse well enough and it doesn't feel clean. (Willing to give it another try, though). Also, my hair starts to separate/get frizzy if I don't let the water kind of "cascade" into it, making it one big wet sheet (if this makes any sense). I usually rinse upside down just so I can get the lift I want, but I think this is what causes different layers of my hair to clump together oddly.

Last night I tried rinsing while leaning back, but then my hair was all plastered to my scalp and I didn't know how to style with it that way, so I ended up going back to my old standby of rinsing upside down.

I think I avoided the weird clumping a bit by doing more of my routine in an upright position and separating the weird clumps before they dried.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file