Towel scrunching & pineappling-counter productive?

seaweedeseaweede Registered Users Posts: 28 Curl Neophyte
So, after applying leave in and gel or curl cream on soaking wet hair, it's often suggested to scrunch with a MF towel or t shirt. Doesn't this remove a lot of the product I've just put in my hair?

Also, with pineappleing...pulling the hair on the top of my head tends to straighten the hair underneath and on the sides of my head. Any work around this?

Comments

• AlmaPetraAlmaPetra Registered Users Posts: 104 Curl Neophyte
    I've been thinking and asking exactly the same thing!
    To be honest, it would be great to be able to blot away all excess water and make the drying time much shorter but at the same time I fear that using a T shirt would remove the styling products and cause huge amounts of frizz..

I don't know... Do we try it?
    4a/4b, highly porous, fine hair.

Co-wash: DevaCurl No Poo Decadence, AIA Long and Luxe Cowash
    Leave-in: KCKT, Soultanicals Knot Sauce
    Stylers: UFDCM, WLXG

SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm sure that some of the styling products is lost, but most of them stay in the hair, especially if you've scrunched them in before squeezing with the towel. I have very good results doing this. I would definitely give it a try.

I have the same problem with pineappling, and other than trying to make the pineapple somewhat loose so that it doesn't pull so much, I don't have a solution.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
    I tried so hard to have a gentle pineapple, but it would fall out of my hair before I even lay down. Then I saw a video by a NC member about prepping hair for bed and how she styles it in the morning - amazingly, she looped the scrunchie twice, tightly, and still had curls when she took it down the next morning. So, I tried it, and again amazingly, I had better curls than the day before! Even though I feel like I have to be pulling out curls when I gather my hair and loop the scrunchie twice, it somehow works. I don't run my fingers through, though - I gently gather it into my hand at the top of me head (upside down). Some falls out of the scrunchie, but I don't worry about it. It's the weirdest thing that it works.

I can't remember her name, but I'll poke around and let you know if I rediscover her. :)
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    OK, tightening scrunchie stat! (I'm Web surfing before bed.)
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I squeeze out excess water with a towel, I'm sure some product must come out but there's still enough in there to make a difference. Maybe it helps that I put mousse in afterwards but then I rake through with wet hands so who knows how much product is actually in there by the time I've finished!
    Never tried pineappling, the disruption to my hair to get it into a pineapple would be enough to destroy it.
    3b in South Australia.
  • AlmaPetraAlmaPetra Registered Users Posts: 104 Curl Neophyte
    Okay I will try blotting with a t-shirt the next time I wash my hair, most probably on Tuesday.
    I'll brace myself for a bad hair day though :mrgreen:

Regarding pineappling, I do it with a loose scrunchie. I think that it dents and stretches the parts of my hair that the scrunchie comes in touch with but since these are the underneath layers, it doesn't cause much difference in the appearance of my hair.
    4a/4b, highly porous, fine hair.

Co-wash: DevaCurl No Poo Decadence, AIA Long and Luxe Cowash
    Leave-in: KCKT, Soultanicals Knot Sauce
    Stylers: UFDCM, WLXG

SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL
  • sarahisarahi Registered Users Posts: 55
    I like my hair to by fluffy, and voluminous, without loads of product weighing my hair down, so I think plopping or/an scrunching with a microfiber towel/tshirt/papertowel, helps get rid of any excess product hair didn't absorb, and can help make sure my hair doesn't get weighed down with product.

In regards to pineappleing, I find it's the only way my hair maintains a majority of its curl pattern. I usually use a hair rubberband, as it just works best for me. If I use a scrunchie or normal hair tie, its a mess when I wake up. The rubberband disrupts my curls the least, and I'm very careful when removing it in the morning. Though I usually have to refresh the underlayer of my hair, and the front/side where it was pulled into a pineapple and was stretched out in the morning, it just takes a little bit of water in a spray bottle.
    3A/3B - Fine - Medium Density
    Porosity ~ Medium/High
    Shampoo-SMJBCO
    Cowash-As I Am Coconut Co-wash
    LOC: KCKT-Almond Oil-Devacurl Styling Cream-KCCC
    Hair length - APL
    Short term goal: BSL
    Long term goal:Waist Length
  • RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
    RafterBat wrote: »
    ... I saw a video by a NC member about prepping hair for bed and how she styles it in the morning - amazingly, she looped the scrunchie twice, tightly, and still had curls when she took it down the next morning... I can't remember her name, but I'll poke around and let you know if I rediscover her. :)

Found her! I do not smooth my hair down (up, really) the way she does, but gently gather it. I end up with better-formed curls and crown height than I get on Day 1. More frizz, but there has to be a balance, right?

Anyway:
    Text with photos: How to Pineapple Short, Wavy & Curly Hair

Text and video: My Updated Nighttime Hair & Skincare Routine

:)
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    I was very resistant to applying product to soaking wet hair and then scrunching with a t shirt, but it realk does provide better curl definition and less frizz.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file