Found a good hard hold gel...

Curls80Curls80 Registered Users Posts: 526 Curl Connoisseur
So, in my quest for an amazing gel I have bought many many products that do not do what I need them to do! And since the whole BRHG debacle where I started having trouble getting it and people were getting tubes with different formulas etc, I was looking for a replacement.

I read this article- The Ingredient Proven to Resist the Highest Humidity

and based on that I retried my Spiralicious. I wasn't super impressed with the hold I got- not terrible but not great. Then I was in the drugstore and saw the Got2be ultra glued gel that the article references. Wow. The hold is unreal on this gel. It actually comes very close to BRHG for me, and that's saying a lot. I actually dialled back on the amount of gel I used the second time. My big test is "can it survive my intense and sweaty Pilates classes," and it actually still looked presentable after. Supposedly polyquat 69 helps in humid conditions. It isn't as often in my area where I live that we get super humid days but it has been humid the past few days. I felt like my exercising replicated humid conditions as well lol! My scalp gets pretty sweaty when I exercise.

I'm excited about this find, and it's a lot cheaper than most of the products I have sitting in my bathroom!
3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
Protein- Cnpf

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Thanks for the link to the article. What does it say about me that I found it absolutely riveting? Ha ha. I'm way too concerned about my hair. :)

I'm so glad that you found something that works for you! I know what you mean about working out replicating humid conditions. I do a lot of dancing, and I can just feel the sweat coming off my head. So it's amazing that the gel held up for you in your Pilates class. Sounds like a keeper. Yay!
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • CurlyCorCurlyCor Registered Users Posts: 74 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the review! I have BRHG and it works well but when I went into ulta last week, they only had 2 bottles left. I'm nervous that it's going to be one of those things where they carry it one day and don't the next. So I have been trying to find another hard hold gel. I got the la Bella brand (comparable to LASG) but my hair turned poofy fast. I layered it over KCCC. I ordered pattern pusha and layered it under BRHG, and the results were so meh. No definition. They best combo I found was KCCC under BRHG but I think it was be caused I diffused instead of air drying. Long story short, I want to try another hard hold gel jut in case BRHG becomes unavailable.

I may pick up this got2b at target when I return the la Bella gel. Did you find the Spiralicious to have any curl defining properties? If I get the got2b, I may try to layer over flaxseed gel.
    2c/3a in the canopy 3b everywhere else ~ Normal to High Porosity~ Fine but A LOT of hair ( So high density?)

Poo: Jason's Dandruff Shampoo/ Elucence Moisuture Benefits
    RO: Tresemme Botanique
    Styling: CJ Curl Fix as LI, Curling jelly or CJPP or CIAB, Topped with BRHG.
    Protein Treatment: Curl Junkie Repair Me
  • ttoosdayttoosday Registered Users Posts: 509 Curl Connoisseur
    I was so desperate earlier this summer for the hardest hold gel I could find that I used my husband Got2be Glued gel. To my surprise, it's cg. Ive used it several times with good frizz control and great hold. It does not contain the quat 69 ingredient however. But the polymers in these Got2be products are crazy strong! It worked better than silicones for frizz control, which I went back to for a week out of desperation. I'd like to try the styling glue with the 69 but I've got at least 4 other tubes of gel that I have GOT to use up first.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • Curls80Curls80 Registered Users Posts: 526 Curl Connoisseur
    CurlyCor wrote: »
    Thanks for the review! I have BRHG and it works well but when I went into ulta last week, they only had 2 bottles left. I'm nervous that it's going to be one of those things where they carry it one day and don't the next. So I have been trying to find another hard hold gel. I got the la Bella brand (comparable to LASG) but my hair turned poofy fast. I layered it over KCCC. I ordered pattern pusha and layered it under BRHG, and the results were so meh. No definition. They best combo I found was KCCC under BRHG but I think it was be caused I diffused instead of air drying. Long story short, I want to try another hard hold gel jut in case BRHG becomes unavailable.

I may pick up this got2b at target when I return the la Bella gel. Did you find the Spiralicious to have any curl defining properties? If I get the got2b, I may try to layer over flaxseed gel.

Spiralicious is good but not perfect. I'm not sure exactly why... It worked for me last summer and now it dries my hair out a bit and doesn't hold quite enough. Maybe it's the combo of conditioners etc, not sure. I'll be trying it again soon without my leave in conditioner just to see if that's the problem.

Your reasoning is exactly why I wanted a new hard hold gel. I was getting sick of this BRHG nonsense and I don't like being scared that I won't be able to find a product. It was just irritating me.

This gel is super hard hold (and I'm difficult to impress when it comes to that ha ha!) and if you're not careful it can be too much (somewhat like BRHG I guess) and can be hard to scrunch out. But in humidity that can be less of a problem. It's harder holding than LALSG in my opinion.

I probably asked this before but did you ever try UFDCM? Very curl enhancing. It has a similar ingredient list as KCCC but it's less finicky in my opinion.

One other thing is that second day I just took my hair down out of my pineapple bun and didn't reapply anything, just went about my day. And my hair doesn't feel super dry. That's a huge bonus.
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    Protein- Cnpf
    Curls80 wrote: »
    CurlyCor wrote: »

Spiralicious is good but not perfect. I'm not sure exactly why... It worked for me last summer and now it dries my hair out a bit and doesn't hold quite enough. Maybe it's the combo of conditioners etc, not sure. I'll be trying it again soon without my leave in conditioner just to see if that's the problem.

Your reasoning is exactly why I wanted a new hard hold gel. I was getting sick of this BRHG nonsense and I don't like being scared that I won't be able to find a product. It was just irritating me.

This gel is super hard hold (and I'm difficult to impress when it comes to that ha ha!) and if you're not careful it can be too much (somewhat like BRHG I guess) and can be hard to scrunch out. But in humidity that can be less of a problem. It's harder holding than LALSG in my opinion.

I probably asked this before but did you ever try UFDCM? Very curl enhancing. It has a similar ingredient list as KCCC but it's less finicky in my opinion.

One other thing is that second day I just took my hair down out of my pineapple bun and didn't reapply anything, just went about my day. And my hair doesn't feel super dry. That's a huge bonus.

Ugh, UFDCM is in my list to try. I have so many products under my sink, I shouldng to try more.....but I will. I'm so bummed pattern pusha did nothing for my hair. I just took a shower and tried flaxseed gel topped with BRHG. It's still wet. I put the flaxseed gel in while my hair was soaking wet right out of the shower, plopped, applied body lotion/skin cream, and applied BRHG. We'll see how it turns out. I used to hate how my hair would be when I applied products to soaking wet hair but I think it was because I was apply ALL of my products when my hair was soaking. Now I just apply the jelly/enhancer to soaking and plop until my hair is damp, then apply the hard hold gel.

I was reading reviews of the got2b ultra gel and some people said their hair begin to show signs of breakage after using it for a while. These reviews were from Amazon so not necessarily reviews strictly from curlies. Please keep us updated on how it works for you over time!
    2c/3a in the canopy 3b everywhere else ~ Normal to High Porosity~ Fine but A LOT of hair ( So high density?)

The only way I could make Pattern Pusha work for me is to do my routine, diffuse or air dry, then apply more to dry hair. Then it works for me.

Oh I know- my product graveyard is large. Very large. I can't see an ingredient in he got2be gel that would cause issues for me other than buildup, but who knows!

I'm going to retry spiralicious next and see what happens with a different routine! I'll let you know how it goes. ☺️
    Protein- Cnpf
  • MyrnaMyrna Registered Users Posts: 2,472 Curl Connoisseur
    I bought a tube yesterday. Will report back. FYI, Deva Foam also has the 69 quat, and of all the foams/gels on the market, I like that best - usually apply a dab to the crown for height, and clip.

I suspect breakage happens when people re-apply product for days without washing. I dont do that.
    Tried it. Don't like it. I prefer Sweet Curls Elixir's hard hold gel, its a lot nicer and my hair comes out better and feels better. Just my opinion.
  • piccadilly13piccadilly13 Registered Users Posts: 79 Curl Neophyte
    Q: What happens when you discover CG method a year after starting your first job after college? A: You become a major product junkie, and you don't even care because you have money for the first time in your life.

Q: What happens when you have to unexpectedly buy a new car, and you also have an upcoming international trip you're trying to save for? A: You resolve to curbing your product-junkie ways (at least for a while).

Q: What happens when someone posts about an extremely hard-hold gel, and you see it at Target and it's only $4 and you have the Target RedCard so you know you're going to save 5% anyway? A: You buy it.

JUST WANTED TO SAY I LOVE THIS STUFF. So thanks for the tip, Curls80. :occasion9:
    2c/3a, fine, high porosity
    curly since 4/2008, CG since 3/27/2016

cowash: as i am coconut cowash
    li: kckt
    styler: kccc, brhg
    Just wanted to say I did not like the glue. I took it back and promptly bought a tube of Aussie Instant freeze. I dont know how my hair will come out today (used it for the first time) but I can report that it felt amazing when I applied it. MY hair sort of "grabbed" it, and curls formed immediately.
    That's too bad it didn't work for you. I can't get Aussie instant freeze easily where I live, and when I tried it in the past it was very similar to herbal essences set me up. I haven't had much luck with those two gels.

I've actually been rotating a lot of products in my search and i started making my homemade flaxseed gel again, which has been nice the past few days.
    Protein- Cnpf
    The verdict is still out on Aussie Freeze. The last couple of days I am using flax seed gel under KCCC. Works well.
    I ended up trying the got2b gel and I didn't like it. My hair felt so producty once it dried and it felt worse when I attempted second day hair.
    I guess I am going to have to clear the shelves of BRHG at ulta.
    I am going to make flaxseed gel and add in some protein and aloe Vera juice. I'm also going on a trip so I was thinking of buying UFDCM so I don't have to worry about transporting flaxseed gel.
    Myrna wrote: »
    The verdict is still out on Aussie Freeze. The last couple of days I am using flax seed gel under KCCC. Works well.

Are you using the flax seed gel you bought from sweet curls elixirs under the kccc? Are you putting both the flaxseed gel and kccc on when your hair is soaking?

Yeah this gel is touch and go. I do agree. I'm always experimenting and been trying different things lately. The thing I was initially impressed with is that the got2b was really firm. But naturally BRHG is my fave.

(My flaxseed gel I ordered from sweet curls was ok but I have to use so much and it took almost a month to get it so I can't count on that one. Making my own works better for me, but I'll agree with you about transporting it!!)
    Protein- Cnpf
    Curls80, yeah, Alissa has health issues that sometime interfere with her ability to get to orders promptly. I usually order way in advance of needing more because that is just how it rolls. In any case, I have used 2 of her gels and am not disappointed.
  • chloe92uschloe92us Registered Users Posts: 1,203 Curl Neophyte
    On the wavy group on Facebook, they've been talking about the Ultra gel so,I had to try it. I typically don't like hard hold gels and layer 2 medium hold gels instead. But this stuff rocks! I live in Florida, and to be honest....with dews in the mid 70s for months on end in the summer, I don't worry too much about my hair and let it do its thing, which means a lot of ponytails lol.

But this gel has been giving me the best summer hair days I've had in years! And yesterday I even attempted 2nd day hair! Typically I HAVE to wet every day because of the frizz. This gel keeps that frizz at bay and keeps my curls clumped. This has been a great one for me so far.
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    I hate this thread. Now I know that before the end of the weekend I will have in my possession Ulta gel and most likely the Got2b gel. I keep trying different gels but they ALL disappear in my Uber dry hair. I have better luck with conditioner only or a few mousses. Urghhhh, will report back on both products. I know I will probably research the Got2b mess-merizing line too. I pull an ad out of the paper when that first came out but it wasn't in the stores yet and I just came across that ad again and got my curiousity up about it again.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
    I know- I'm the worst product junkie. I'm just terrible!

I retried my spiralicious but mixed it with MGA and I liked the cocktail- it was a nice firm hold that lasted. I also used CJ Beauticurls leave in and I think that helped my dry hair. I'm going to try this combo again! I have a lot of one hit wonder stylin days so we shall see.
    Protein- Cnpf
    Im gonna be redundant and recommmend Alissa's (Sweet Curls) hard hold gel. I just got a shipment and have used it by itself which is huge for me, and I dont need that much. I know its a pain to have to order, but for me its worth it. In the winter I may be able to go back to LALSG...
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I, too, like this gel a lot (Alissa's crazy curly hard hold gel). It weighs down my hair if I apply it too early to soaking wet hair (as does everything), but is very nice otherwise. For hard hold, surprisingly, I've found that my irish moss gel, followed by Alissa's Volume Mousse, topped off with Andalou hairspray (or for a crazy hard hold, Intelligent Nutrients Hairspray) gives me pretty darn good hold, just about as good as my gelatin gel, which was the hardest hold I'd ever found.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    I will retry my sweet curls elixirs again- I had used it with the curl cream i ordered from her and I was not impressed. But maybe alone it would be ok. It's a small amount of product for the price (plus shipping to Canada)- products I order online have to absolutely blow me out of the water to make me buy again.

I retried my spiralicious/MGA combo and no it was not a one hit wonder- it worked again, very well In fact. So well, that I washed on Sunday afternoon and haven't washed again yet, and I did pilates plus a run yesterday, plus a bath, and I haven't added any product and my hair feels defined yet decently soft. It's not perfect but I don't expect my hair to be perfect! It was good enough that I felt confident leaving it down. Only different thing was I made the curly girl lavender spray and sprayed a bit on my hair after my bath just to see if I liked it. Anyways- I'm happy with that for now so I'll see if it works for a third time ha ha.

I'm intrigued by your Irish moss gel, naturecat. It's right up my alley. I feel like you posted your recipe somewhere but can you point me in the right direction? Is Irish moss easy to purchase?
    Protein- Cnpf
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I did post my recipe, but rather than digging out the thread (I'm lazy), here it is again, irish moss jelly:
    1.5 cups hot water
    2 tsp irish moss powder
    1 tsp rosemary powder
    1 bag of teapots chamomile tea
    1 tsp he shou wu
    a few drops of essential oil (to cover the seaweed smell--optional--I used cinnamon)
    maybe some colloidal silver or grain alcohol if you want to preserve it for longer

Put the powders in a cup or bowl, etc, add hot water, stir, cover, let sit for an hour-ish (maybe more?), strain through cheesecloth. I put in some colloidal silver, kept in fridge, and it lasted for 2 weeks (that I know of--I used it up before it spoiled).

Irish moss is easy to get for me. I ordered mine from Mountain Rose Herbs, and actually I'd ordered the chopped plants which I wanted to try, as it may be tidier than the powder. That's also where I got my rosemary powder. But irish moss is a type of seaweed so in theory anywhere that sells seaweeds might carry it. People who use the pure plant let it sit in water overnight, then put it in the blender.

As for MGA, I like it for 2nd day hair. I haven't tried it in awhile, though it may work for me now on my shorter hair. On my longer hair it was great at the beginning of the day but by the end my hair would get the curl pulled out, too weighed down. Spiralicious was okay for me in moderation, but not hard hold. I find that chemical holding products ultimately weigh down my hair rather than holding it well. The Irish moss is the only thing I've ever found that gives me good hold, but flexible enough to not bend my hair weirdly (probably because it si also moisturizing). I think I'd get amazing hold from it alone, but I like to top off with volume foam to go for volume, thus feeling the need for all natural hairspray on top of that.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • GirlyThatsCurlyGirlyThatsCurly Registered Users Posts: 27 Curl Neophyte
    I have been looking for a new gel since they reformulated Aussie Instant Freeze. I hate that it now has glycerin and aloe. I will try the got2b one! It looks like it has some humectants which I'm a little weary of, but it does not have glycerin which is good for me!
    3a- Bits of 3b, fine, mid-back length, low porosity, low-medium density.
    Co-Wash: DevaCurl No Poo
    Condition: ??
    Leave-In: Currently looking for a glycerin-free one!
    Style: Pantene Pro-V Curl Sculpting Gel
    PT: Curl Junkie Repair Me
    Low-Poo: Living Proof Full

Loves: Protein!!
    Dislikes: Heavy oils, heavy leave-ins, waxes, (anything that weighs my fine hair down!), glycerin in high dew points
    ALLERGIC: Aloe Vera :-(

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file