The magic of paper towels & should I invest in a Microfiber towel?

sarahisarahi Registered Users Posts: 55
During my last was and go, and I ended up washing my hair later than usual, and I can’t go to sleep with wet hair, as it destroys my curls. After applying my products to soaking wet hair and then scrunching out the excess water, and plopping for about 10 minutes, I decided to try to use paper towels to soak up some of the excess water before I diffuse. It absorbed so much water! It cut my diffusing time nearly in half, and my hair dried more voluminous than usual, (for me that’s a good thing).

In the morning, I spritzed the sections of my hair that had been stretched by my pineapple with water, and then used the paper towel to soak up the excess, and it dried in no time! I know paper towels aren’t anything new in the curl community, but this is definitely a game changer in my hair routine. My only worry is using up too many paper towels (I try to be environmentally conscious), I can only use, dry, and reuse the same bunch of paper towels so many times.

I was wondering if those of you who have used both a t-shirt and microfiber towel to plop/dry your hair with, if the microfiber towel is much more absorbent than the t-shirt and if it’s something I should invest in. You feedback would be greatly appreciated!
3A/3B - Fine - Medium Density
Porosity ~ Medium/High
Shampoo-SMJBCO
Cowash-As I Am Coconut Co-wash
LOC: KCKT-Almond Oil-Devacurl Styling Cream-KCCC
Hair length - APL
Short term goal: BSL
Long term goal:Waist Length

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I also use paper towels a lot and actually find them to be better at drawing out the moisture than a t-shirt. I had considered investing in the microfiber towel but I read that you can't use fabric softener with it for some reason, and since I use that I didn't buy it.

Just something to consider. :hello2:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • curlyprincess1curlyprincess1 Registered Users Posts: 468
    What has worked for me was a very thick towel and wrap it very tightly; the longer, the better!
    Best of luck.
    It's not easy being a princess, but hey, if the crown fits.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I just ordered a microfiber towel whose "fibers are 1/200 the width of a human hair." Not sure what that means as our strands all vary in width. But I will report back.

I have been using tshirts and sweatshirts and things for years, and they work ok but would love to cut my drying time down further. I have microfiber hair turbans, which were given to me as a gift, but I'm not sure of the quality of the microfiber.

• AlmaPetraAlmaPetra Registered Users Posts: 104 Curl Neophyte
    Would the paper towels not disintegrate and the pieces stick to the hair when they soak up the moisture?
    4a/4b, highly porous, fine hair.

Co-wash: DevaCurl No Poo Decadence, AIA Long and Luxe Cowash
    Leave-in: KCKT, Soultanicals Knot Sauce
    Stylers: UFDCM, WLXG

SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL
    AlmaPetra wrote: »
    Would the paper towels not disintegrate and the pieces stick to the hair when they soak up the moisture?
    That would be toilet paper...not paper towels. LOL

OMG I thought that they were the same thing!! I googled them in Google images and they looked like toilet paper o_O Now I can see that they are 2 different things?! Lol.

OMG I thought that they were the same thing!! I googled them in Google images and they looked like toilet paper o_O Now I can see that they are 2 different things?! Lol.

You use toilet paper to wipe yourself in the bathroom. Paper towels in the kitchen to clean up spills and dry dishes, etc. haha

Yeah I can see that now hehe. Thank you! I'm glad you figured out that what I was worried about was actually toilet paper! Culture and language differences I guess lol

• sarahisarahi Registered Users Posts: 55
    I've decided to invest in the DevaCurl Microfiber towel (the new large one) based on how everyone here seems to get on so well with it. I'll let you know how I like it, and how absorbent I think it is.
    Porosity ~ Medium/High
    Shampoo-SMJBCO
    Hair length - APL
    So I have tried paper towels today. But very very cautiously. I wrapped one around the lower half of my hair and squeezed gently. It did soak up quite an amount of water and my hair wasn't any frizzier after I unwrapped the towel. And no it didn't disintegrate on my hair loooool. And just a small amount of gel got stuck to them.
    So how do you guys apply them? Do you scrunch or squeeze? Do you apply to the top of your hair too? Do you press them down on it or what do you do?

So I have tried paper towels today. But very very cautiously. I wrapped one around the lower half of my hair and squeezed gently. It did soak up quite an amount of water and my hair wasn't any frizzier after I unwrapped the towel. And no it didn't disintegrate on my hair loooool. And just a small amount of gel got stuck to them.
    So how do you guys apply them? Do you scrunch or squeeze? Do you apply to the top of your hair too? Do you press them down on it or what do you do?
    I usually plop with a cotton tshirt for about 10-15 minutes, and then scrunch with the paper towels to get my hair as dry as possible before I diffuse. I suppose the scrunching helps dry the roots a bit, but I don't do anything other than just scrunch the length of my hair.
    Porosity ~ Medium/High
    Shampoo-SMJBCO
    Hair length - APL
  • sdkittysdkitty Registered Users Posts: 360 Curl Novice
    sarahi wrote: »
    I've decided to invest in the DevaCurl Microfiber towel (the new large one) based on how everyone here seems to get on so well with it. I'll let you know how I like it, and how absorbent I think it is.

Just my opinion but I suspect that Deva towel is the same as any other microfiber towel and costs twice as much because of the Deva brand.

Another suggestion - my hairdresser suggested faux chamois to blot my hair. I got a set of them at the 99cent store in the automotive section. I apply gel to wet hair, blot with the chamois, then wrap my hair in a microfiber towel and apply gel again after that.

Your hair is beautiful BTW.
    sdkitty wrote: »

Just my opinion but I suspect that Deva towel is the same as any other microfiber towel and costs twice as much because of the Deva brand.

Another suggestion - my hairdresser suggested faux chamois to blot my hair. I got a set of them at the 99cent store in the automotive section. I apply gel to wet hair, blot with the chamois, then wrap my hair in a microfiber towel and apply gel again after that.

Your hair is beautiful BTW.
    Thanks for the compliment!

I am purchasing the deva towel based on the review on this thread http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/178909-new-deva-towel.html in which people seem to like it more than the average microfiber towel.
    Porosity ~ Medium/High
    Shampoo-SMJBCO
    Hair length - APL
    I usually plop with a cotton tshirt for about 10-15 minutes, and then scrunch with the paper towels to get my hair as dry as possible before I diffuse. I suppose the scrunching helps dry the roots a bit, but I don't do anything other than just scrunch the length of my hair.

Oh so you only scrunch your length but you have found that it also helps the roots dry more quickly?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file