CurlTalk

My 38 week appointment..elective induction! PLEASE HELP!

imagenimagen Posts: 343Registered Users
I had my 38 week appointment today, the doctor checked me and I am 90+% effaced, 2 cm dilated and the baby is at a -1 station. My practice is in the midst of changing, one of the three doctors there now is going independent, and SIX new doctors will be joining the practice after the 6th. I'm due the 8th, so I have a very big chance of having a doctor I've never met before deliver my baby if I go after the 6th. The doctor I saw today, who I am very familiar and comfortable with, offered to induce me next Thursday if I'd like, telling me basically it is for convenience if I'd like to know for sure I'll get someone I know to deliver the baby, plus the obvious benefits that come with knowing beforehand. He said my condition is optimum for induction, and went over the possible drawbacks of induction, including an increased risk of c-section, which in my case would go from about 3% to 6%.

I don't know what to do!! Needless to say this proposal is tempting to a woman who is extremely pregnant and uncomfortable, but at the same time I don't want to make the wrong choice just because I'm very ready to meet my baby and for the convenience of being able to plan. The benefits are obvious, but I've heard that inductions are more painful than natural labor, and I don't know if I am completely comfortable with making my body, and my baby for that matter, do something that it and she may not be ready to do. On the other hand though, it's only 3 days before my due date, and I'm measuring right on for my date.

I would really appreciate any input you guys can offer me. Whether it's from "Been there, done that" moms or just to express what you would do. Thanks!
.png

.png

Comments

• AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I have no advice and haven't been there, other than from what I have read or heard inductions are very painful and can lead to a chain of events ending in C-section.... but how nice that you are having an Easter baby! (not sure if you celebrate Easter...)
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    imagen wrote:
    IThe benefits are obvious, but I've heard that inductions are more painful than natural labor, and I don't know if I am completely comfortable with making my body, and my baby for that matter, do something that it and she may not be ready to do. On the other hand though, it's only 3 days before my due date, and I'm measuring right on for my date.

This is how I would feel, but its totally up to you!

In any case, you are SO CLOSE!!! That baby will be here before you know it, induction or not!
  • Swirlycurly ChemistSwirlycurly Chemist Posts: 335Registered Users
    Inductions have a very high failure rate for first time moms, and once you have begun the process, you are committed. This means that you are on the clock and a c-section becomes more likely every tick of the clock. The c-section rate is huge for such inductions (especially ones doen for doctor's convenience prior to 40 weeks).

Also, I am here to tell you that pitocin contractions hurt so much worse than regular ones that you wouldn't even believe it.

They might also try to use cytotec to soften your cervix and start labor prior to using pitocin. This is an off-label application of the drug and can have very dangerous consequences.
    3A canopy with 3B underneath
    Low poo, not afraid of amine-based silicones or polyquats, silk proteins are good as well.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    imagen wrote:
    IThe benefits are obvious, but I've heard that inductions are more painful than natural labor, and I don't know if I am completely comfortable with making my body, and my baby for that matter, do something that it and she may not be ready to do. On the other hand though, it's only 3 days before my due date, and I'm measuring right on for my date.

This is how I would feel, but its totally up to you!

In any case, you are SO CLOSE!!! That baby will be here before you know it, induction or not!

I agree 100%.

I guess it depends how much you want to depend on the forces of nature to dictate your birth - ie what drugs you are willing to enter your body and the consequences of those drugs. Also understanding hospital policy on how they monitor you (iv, cathedar, that fetal monitoring thing) may help you understand how "controlling" the hospital is. There's such a spectrum to this. There's the the non-hospital/minimal intervention (which is where I am) to the scheduled c-section with accompanying tummy tuck.

Whatever you decide I wish you the best.

I have just a few weeks to go myself. I feel your discomfort.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I know everyone is different, and I can only speak from my own experience, but here is my story....

I went past my due date, and at my 40 and 41-week ( :shock: ) appointments, my doctor kept mentioning induction. I said that I preferred to wait until 42 weeks and see if the baby would come on his own. We finally scheduled the induction for 42 weeks, but I went into labor on my own a couple days before that. The contractions were painful, but they were never overwhelming, and I was able to give birth drug-free. (I don't know if that matters to you, but I was striving for a natural birth.) I have a girlfriend who just had her baby a couple weeks ago, and she was induced. The contractions were very strong and coming 1 minute (or less) apart from the start, and she ended up having an epidural. We both have healthy, wonderful babies, which is the most important thing. But more medical interventions can start a chain reaction--the contractions are unnaturally strong, so you get an epidural; then that can make labor and pushing less effective, leading to a c-section. Personally, after having the experience of a natural birth, I really hope not to ever be induced with future children.

Also, the doctor was only there for the last half-hour or hour of my labor. He was less important to me than my support people (husband and sister) and labor and delivery nurse. Of course, I did have fairly minimal medical interventions, so the doctor's presence mattered less.

Best of luck--you can tell what my opinion is, but either way you decide, the most important thing is winding up with a healthy baby.

Sarah
    ehLB.jpg
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,455Registered Users
    did doc give you some tips to encourage your body to go into labor naturally?

sex is the number one tip.. it doesn't hurt to try it ;)

i've heard from quite a few that going into a swimming pool has also worked for those which sex didn't..
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users
    If it's only 3 days, it's only 3 days - and that statement could go either way. Meaning, if you decide to go early, it's only 3 days early, and isn't going to make a big deal developmentally wise w/ the baby. However, if it's only 3 days, why go inducing yourself when you're almost there?

I understand the convenience of wanting your doctor there, but yes, I have heard that pitocin induced contractions are way worse than normal ones - but whether that's a big deal to you or not will depend on if you plan on going natural, or if you plan on getting an epidural.

Sucks that nobody can just give you the answer, huh? :lol: Good luck w/ whatever you decide!!
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • FiremanshunnyFiremanshunny Posts: 24Registered Users
    I don't think that getting induced or not really makes a difference as far as the pain you feel during labor. I was in labor with my first daughter for 10 hours (that includes pushing) and the contractions were ok. I mean they hurt. I did end up getting an epidural but that was my own choice. It didn't slow down my labor at all. I started pushing about 15 minutes after I got it and she was out an hour later. With my second daughter I was in labor for 5 hours. The contractions were much stronger and hurt alot more. I got an epidural and 5 minutes later starting pushing. Again the epi didnt slow down my labor at all. Again my daughter was out an hour later. I had talked to my doctor a few days before I had my second daughter and he said that usually the faster the labor is the more painful it is. Personally I would wait for nature to take its course. Even if you got induced there would be no way to tell if the labor would have been less painful if you didn't I guess the point of my story is every pregnancy and delivery is different and there is no way to tell how it will go. And no way to tell if it would be less painful if you did it a different way.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I've had both pitocin and non-pitocin labors, and the pitocin forced contractions definitely hurt more. As for the doctor being there...they're usually only in the room for a half hour to an hour, tops. You won't care at that point anyway.

My own personal opinion is that induction should be reserved for valid medical reasons only, but the OB industry doesn't go by my opinion.

I'm not going to spout gloom-and-doom about induction and c-secs risks like I usually do, because you're not a first-time birther. First-timers have a horrendous c-sec rate from induction failure (over 50%). Multi-para women...not so much. You should be aware of your Bishop's Score before consenting to induction though. It's an interesting bit of info that docs rarely share:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazingpregnancy.com%2Fpregnancy-articles%2F173.html" class="Popup
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    goldy wrote:
    I've heard from quite a few that going into a swimming pool has also worked for those which sex didn't..

I'll give this a try if I go late for a third time in a row. Sex was not fun for me. I think inductions would have been better. :wink: :lol:
    goldy wrote:
    I've heard from quite a few that going into a swimming pool has also worked for those which sex didn't..

I'll give this a try if I go late for a third time in a row. Sex was not fun for me. I think inductions would have been better.

I've never heard of just being in water causing labor to start. However, most midwives will have their overdue clients use an enema or a drink little castor oil...getting things moving in the belly will generally get labor to start when it's imminant anyway.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Inductions have a very high failure rate for first time moms, and once you have begun the process, you are committed. This means that you are on the clock and a c-section becomes more likely every tick of the clock. The c-section rate is huge for such inductions (especially ones doen for doctor's convenience prior to 40 weeks).

Also, I am here to tell you that pitocin contractions hurt so much worse than regular ones that you wouldn't even believe it.

They might also try to use cytotec to soften your cervix and start labor prior to using pitocin. This is an off-label application of the drug and can have very dangerous consequences.

ITA, all true.

Imagen, if you are that close to your due date and there is no medical reason for an induction, it might be best to just let nature take over, IMO. Inductions carry risks that naturally-starting labor does not.

I hope you will read up on all the risks of elective induction and make an informed decision, whatever you may decide. You might start by reading up on Pitocin, Cytotec and artificial rupturing of the membranes.

Also, are you planning to walk around, be active, or use water (e.g. shower or bath) in labor? An induction will pretty much rule all those out, as the hospital will probably make you stay on the monitor continuously. So induction limits your options in labor.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,455Registered Users
    goldy wrote:

I've never heard of just being in water causing labor to start.

go work a busy triage in a warm city (i.e. lots of swimming pools) for a night ;)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
    imagen You like to cook? Try this. It worked for me. I was 6 days overdue. I had dinner at 8pm and started having contractions at 2am. My daughter was born at 10:43am. It can't hurt and you'll have tons of leftovers for when the baby comes home!

Yum!
    go work a busy triage in a warm city (i.e. lots of swimming pools) for a night

I don't doubt warm nights of extra activity can bring on labor, but just water? Nah. If that were so, I'd have gone into labor early, because I spent every night of my last month of pregnancy bobbing around in my hot tub, doing lots of stretching and kicking to try to help my severe leg edema.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    if it were me no way. I went overdue with both like Medussa and it just goes with the territory now LOL.

If you're looking to get things started naturally I also agree finding someone like a homebirth midwife that can give you advice on natural induction herbs like black cohosh (don't recommend you do this on your own) as well as herbs that help with positioning, etc.

Walk a lot, watch the weather for any barometric drops and then walk, walk, walk. When's the next full moon?
    There is a midwifery board that keeps it's archives organized by topic...lots of good tips to get going naturally at this site:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fgentlebirth.org%2Farchives%2Fnatinduc.html" class="Popup
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    First-timers have a horrendous c-sec rate from induction failure (over 50%).

For my circle of friends, this is true. My friend was induced and wound up with a c-section. I was given pitocin part way through my labour, made it to 8 cm dilated and wound up with a c-section.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,380Registered Users
    A few years ago a handfull of women were going into labor after eating spicy Mexican food ( they were full or just past term). I can't hurt, right?? :wink:
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users
    I was induced with my 1st child. I think it was more painful. He was like 2 weeks late, I had been having non-productive contractions for 4 weeks, they doctor had been telling me any time now for 3 weeks, but no progress. I was give the drugs at 8 am delievered at 12:23, only 30 minutes of actual pushing. The pain was intense, I opted for drugs, the narcotics they gave me to "hold me over" until the other guy came for the epidural never even made a dent. But I think I was just being a wuss, before having kids I had never had cramps before, my main PMS complaint was bad backaches.

Really it's your descission, and one that wont matter to you much probably after your new baby is in your arms. Congratz in advaced, I hope the next few days go fast for you. Try and keep yourself busy or you'll go nuts with anticipation.
  • jennapeachjennapeach Posts: 37Registered Users
    I had a failed induction. My OB was quite insistent on inducing me because the u/s showed that I was going to have a HUGE baby. I was 38 wks and I wish I would have told her to "shove it."

We got to the hospital, got the cytotec to ripen the cervix and waited through the night. The next morning, they started the pitocin drip. Labored through that all day and was fine, but I was hooked up to the monitors and couldn't eat or drink by that afternoon (they wouldn't let me - I guess they could see where it was heading). By the evening, I still hadn't gotten past 2cm, although my contractions were pretty strong and coming every minute. The OB decided to break my water. Holy hell, that HURT. And, the contractions went from very uncomfortable to tearing-out-my-hair painful within minutes. Seriously, I went from no epi and telling the nurse I was fine after they broke my water to sending my husband to get the nurse to get the anesthisiologist within a half hour!

I got an epidural at around midnight and got some rest. The next morning, I had only progressed 1cm. The pitocin was maxed, my epi needed to be cranked up a bit and I was tired. By noon, I knew I'd be having a c-section. My OB came in around 1pm, checked me and booked me for a c-section at 2pm. Hubby and I got ready and my baby (7lbs, 3oz - by no means huge) was delivered around 2:15pm. It took a LONG time to sew me up and while my OB and her "wingman" were working, I could hear them talking about what time my OB's flight to India was. She told her assistant she was pretty much going straight to the airport after she finished me. :x I had NO idea until that very moment that she was planning on being out of the country. She didn't even give me the option of having her associate deliver me - just scheduled me for induction. Looking back, I regret not being more up front and asking more questions. I might have still opted for the induction at that point (I dunno), but it would have been nice to have the option of waiting for Mother Nature.
    I had a failed induction. My OB was quite insistent on inducing me because the u/s showed that I was going to have a HUGE baby. I was 38 wks and I wish I would have told her to "shove it."

We got to the hospital, got the cytotec to ripen the cervix and waited through the night. The next morning, they started the pitocin drip. Labored through that all day and was fine, but I was hooked up to the monitors and couldn't eat or drink by that afternoon (they wouldn't let me - I guess they could see where it was heading). By the evening, I still hadn't gotten past 2cm, although my contractions were pretty strong and coming every minute. The OB decided to break my water. Holy hell, that HURT. And, the contractions went from very uncomfortable to tearing-out-my-hair painful within minutes. Seriously, I went from no epi and telling the nurse I was fine after they broke my water to sending my husband to get the nurse to get the anesthisiologist within a half hour!

I got an epidural at around midnight and got some rest. The next morning, I had only progressed 1cm. The pitocin was maxed, my epi needed to be cranked up a bit and I was tired. By noon, I knew I'd be having a c-section. My OB came in around 1pm, checked me and booked me for a c-section at 2pm. Hubby and I got ready and my baby (7lbs, 3oz - by no means huge) was delivered around 2:15pm. It took a LONG time to sew me up and while my OB and her "wingman" were working, I could hear them talking about what time my OB's flight to India was. She told her assistant she was pretty much going straight to the airport after she finished me. I had NO idea until that very moment that she was planning on being out of the country. She didn't even give me the option of having her associate deliver me - just scheduled me for induction. Looking back, I regret not being more up front and asking more questions. I might have still opted for the induction at that point (I dunno), but it would have been nice to have the option of waiting for Mother Nature.

Unfortunately, this is a very typical failed-induction-c-sec story. It happens every freaking day in America. The OB industry does not care how many c-secs they do...they aren't the ones who have to recover from or have lifelong side effects from the surgery.
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    I'm another failed induction story--and even when I made the appointment, the OB assured me that there is only a "slightly higher" chance of c-section. I call BS on that one, as well as the claim that pitocin induced contractions are no worse than "natural" ones. If I had known then what I knew now I would have held out awhile longer (I was at 41 weeks). I think inductions work better when the woman's body has already started making changes in that direction--in my case, I wasn't dilated and my daughter hadn't dropped at all.

Oh and I also had the doctors worried about the "huge baby" I was carrying. She was 7 lbs, 9 oz, 19.5 inches long...good sized, but certainly not above average by any means.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    From what I've seen, never having had my own baby but having 4 sisters with kids, the doctor doesn't do much anyway. It's the nurses doing all the work! I'd take my chances and wait for it to happen naturally.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    Hopefully you've avoided induction and are giving birth right about now. :D
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    gemini wrote:
    I think inductions work better when the woman's body has already started making changes in that direction--in my case, I wasn't dilated and my daughter hadn't dropped at all.

Oh and I also had the doctors worried about the "huge baby" I was carrying. She was 7 lbs, 9 oz, 19.5 inches long...good sized, but certainly not above average by any means.

You are exactly right. It's ironic, really. I just had a doula shift with a woman who they had there for 2 days before her induction finally took. They had to restart her Pitocin 3 times.

Also, I HATE how OBs claim they can tell a baby's size in utero and then scare women about the "big baby" they're carrying. They can't tell.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A