Uneven Hair Lengths and Breakage in the Back

kddubkddub Posts: 41Registered Users
I have been off and on Curly girl method for 5 years, and recently realized I have low porosity and protein sensitivity, so that realization may help me. However, I have 3a fine hair that seems to break at the back base of my neck. I have had such a hard time growing my hair out because that part won't seem to grow with the sides. I do wear my hair back almost every single day- it looks too weird to wear down. My hair is about collar bone length on the sides and is thinner and whispy in the back. I have a feeling pulling t back may be causing breakage but I don't know? Not sure what to do. I have cut it so many times and doesn't seem to help grow out evenly. I am now taking hair vitamins and finding better products for my hair, so fingers crossed that may help, but anyone else experience this? Anyone have any tips for me? Would going to a Deva stylist help? I just don't want to cut the rest to match my hair length again!
Curl Type- 3a, some 2,

CO Wash- Sauve Conditioner or Loreal sulfate free cleansing conditioner
RO- Generic Biolage Conditioning Balm
LI- Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave in conditioner
Styler- Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper
Gel- Garnier Fructis Pure and Clean

Comments

• Katelyn.RobiKatelyn.Robi Posts: 3Registered Users
    I think it can be easy to have breakage on the back middle part of your hair if it's always exposed. I can see it happening more often if you sleep with your hair down or in a low bun. Also maybe if you're brushing the back of your head too aggressively or when you brush you pull the hair to the front which is rough on the back of your head.
    I would say it probably isn't any of your products but maybe you are not being protective enough/too aggressive with that part of your hair/head. I recently learned that having a much gentler hand with my hair really helps with my breakage. I try to only comb when wet, or if I'm detangling I use a wide toothed comb from ends to roots, then a detangling brush, then a thinner comb, etc. Hope you find your solution!
  • kddubkddub Posts: 41Registered Users
    Thank you for the tip, I do wonder about wearing my hair in a low bun almost everyday if that could be the cause? I am really looking for someone who can relate to that specific breakage! I am really trying to grow out my hair, taking hair vitamins, deep treatments, eating well, lots of water etc etc.

Here are some pictures of my hair. The shrinkage of my curls I get in the back is definitely from the breakage, my hair curls more there because there are shorter pieces. You can see when it's straightened that it is even length, but you can "see through" the middle back section. Then you can see when it's curly, how uneven it is!!
    Curl Type- 3a, some 2,

• Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 411Registered Users Curl Novice
    I can only tell you that I used to put too much friction and pressure on the nape/back of my hair and it would look just like yours, maybe even worse. There would be a huge gap in the back while the sides were long. And my hair in the back is already the thinnest part of my hair even without breakage, so adding too much tension to it was not good. When I began protecting it, like braid my hair up (using extensions) it grew back. It was then the longest and fastest growing portion of my hair. Maybe you could try putting your hair in a braid (w/o extensions) daily instead of wearing it back.
    Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
    Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
    Latest BC: 11/24/2018

• kddubkddub Posts: 41Registered Users
    That is a good idea, I will try and braid it, and not put it in a lower bun. What about a higher bun, do you think that causes breakage? I saw that you have low porosity too, have you tried the new Shea Moisture line that is low porosity? I love it so far! The conditioner feels great!
    Curl Type- 3a, some 2,

• Curlista93Curlista93 Posts: 411Registered Users Curl Novice
    I haven't personally noticed any damaged from wearing a top bun but I just got my hair and am a little worried that it might. So I'm not sure. And no I haven't tried that product yet but wanted to a little while back. Glad to hear it's working for you. You have beautiful curls btw. :)
    Kinky Curly, 4a, Fine Texture 
    Last Relaxer: 2/11/2012
    Latest BC: 11/24/2018

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file