Can anyone help me with ingredients at all?

Hi everyone,

I used to have an old account on here a few years ago but I haven't been on for for long that I've rejoined as I am in need of some advice.

I have been trying to grow my hair for a number of years, but it never gets any longer. I know this is because of damage, because I can see a good inch or more of regrowth from when I dyed my hair back in April (note that I very rarely actually dye my hair, this was the only time I dyed it this year for a special occasion).
I know I should take better care of my hair than I do, and if I did then maybe it wouldn't break so often and it would actually show the length I can see growing. I get a lot of split ends, even when I cut my hair they come back very quickly, so I'm guessing my hair is in need of some moisture, and is perhaps getting damaged by my routine.

I have been sleeping on a satin pillowcase- though I'm going to try and find an either better quality one- and I've been trying to eat better and take supplements like silica gel, liquid iron and multivitamins, and biotin tablets, not that it will stop breakage but to see if they will help add a bit more growth, and I've been trying to do head massages.

The other thing I am wanting to do is find a good product free of as many sulphates, silicones, etc. as possible. This I'm somewhat struggling with, as I am in Australia so a number of products I can find on this site I can't buy in stores here. I am going on a shopping trip interstate next week and I'm hoping to find a product to buy while I'm there. I would love if people could give me some advice as to whether any of these products seem okay ingredient wise, and if you think any of them are worth a shot.

One I am looking at is the Muk Argan Oil Repair range, it says it is free of sulphates, parabens, etc. and some sites say it has no silicones, but I haven't really been able to find a list of ingredients except for one photo online, but I'm not allowed to post any photos yet apparently, haha, so if anyone knows of this range and can give a little advice, because I want to think it's good but I'm a little iffy about it.

The next product I was looking at was Sukin, these are the ingredients of the shampoo-

Water (Aqua), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Cocoamidopropyl Betaine, Decyl Glucoside, PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil (Rose Hip), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (Chamomile), Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract, Articum Lappa Root Extract (Burdock), Equisetum Arvense Extract (Horsetail), Citrus Tangerina (Tangerine) Peel Oil, Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Vanillin, Vanilla Planifolia Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Benzyl Alcohol, Limonene*, Linalool*. * Natural component of essential oils.

And the conditioner-

Water (Aqua), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Glycerin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (Chamomile), Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Leaf Extract , Arctium Lappa Root Extract (Burdock), Equisetum Arvense Extract (Horsetail), Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil (Rose Hip), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Citrus Tangerina (Tangerine) Peel Oil, Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Vanillin, Vanilla Planifolia Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Benzyl Alcohol, Linalool*, Limonene*. * Natural component of essential oils.

This product seems better ingredient wise to me.

The last brand I was looking at was Alchemy, there are a few products in the range I would like to try (I have used some before but none of their shampoos and conditioners), but I was thinking perhaps the Moisturising range.

Shampoo-

Aqua (purified Australian water), Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate*,Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate(from coconut),Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine*,Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate*,Lauryl Glucoside*,Sodium Chloride,Glycerin*,Sorbitol*,Coco-glucoside*,Glyceryl Oleate(from glycerin & sunflower oil),Glyceryl Laurate*,Panthenol (Provitamin B5),Citric Acid*,Sodium Citrate*,Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate (from coconut & sugar cane),Sodium Gluconate*,Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride,Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein (GMO free),Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate,Rice Amino Acids,Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate),Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil (certified organic),Citrus aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil,Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil,Quillaja Saponaria Bark Extract,Tetrasodium EDTA,Jasminum Officinale (Jasmine) Oil,Limonene#,Linalool#,*derived from botanical sources, # component of the essential oils

Conditioner-

Aqua (purified Australian water), Glycerin*,Cetearyl Alcohol*,Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein(GMO free),Behentrimonium Methosulfate(from GMO free rapeseed),Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil (cold pressed, Australian grown),Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil (cold pressed, Australian grown),Lecithin(from GMO free soybean),Potassium Sorbate,Glyceryl Laurate*,Sodium Gluconate*,Citric Acid*,Fusanus Spicatus (Australian Sandalwood) Wood Oil,Cedrus Atlantica Bark Oil (cedarwood),Elettaria
Cardamomum (Cardamom) Seed Oil ,Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) Leaf Oil,Tocopherol*,Ascorbyl Palmitate*,Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides Citrate*,*derived from botanical sources

I'm sorry I've written so much, if anyone has made it to the end and is willing to give me a bit of advice as to whether any of these products seem okay, that would be great. I basically want to find the least harsh, I guess most natural product that won't dry my hair further or cause a build up of silicones, etc.

Thanks! :)
Save
Save
Save
Save

Comments

• GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Registered Users Posts: 312 Curl Connoisseur
    The ingredients look pretty good. The 1st shampoo has two gentle cleansers. All of these products have protein in mid-high positions. This shouldn't be an issue if you are not protein sensitive.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • OneEveningOneEvening Registered Users Posts: 14
    The ingredients look pretty good. The 1st shampoo has two gentle cleansers. All of these products have protein in mid-high positions. This shouldn't be an issue if you are not protein sensitive.

I'm not sure if I am protein sensitive or not, does this cause hair to feel straw like? I do have a shampoo that is sulphate free, but makes my hair feel absolutely horrendous when I use it, unlike any shampoo I've used before. I did notice in the ingredients today that it does have protein in it. But I guess there are other ingredients in it that could also be the problem.
    These are a few others I have found-

Argania Shampoo and condtioner-

water (aqua), disodiumlaurlsulfosuccinate, cocomide DEA, cocomidopropyl betaine, lauryl glucoside, argan oil (Argania spinosa),citric acid, PEG-120 methyl glucose dioleate, magnesium sulfate, sea salt (sodium chloride), macadamia nut oil (macadamiaternifolia), jojoba seed oil (boxus chinensis), parfum, methylchloroisothiazolinone (and) Methylisothiazolinone.

water (aqua), glycerin, sweet almond oil (prunus amygdalus dulcis), cetearyl alcohol, behentrimonium methosulfate (and) cetylalcohol (and) butylene glycol, argan oil (Argania spinosa), phenoxyethanol (and) ethylhexylglycerin, guar hydroxypropltrimoniumchloride, manuka honey (mel), keratin (and) hydrolyzed keratin, hydrolyzed wheat protein, parfum

Alchemy Unscented Shampoo and Conditioner-

Aqua (purified Australian water*),Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate(from palm),Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultain (from coconut),Lauryl Glucoside (from coconut, palm & glucose),Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate (from coconut),Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate(from palm),Sodium Chloride,Glycerin*,Glyceryl Laurate*,Sorbitol(from GMO free maize),Sucrose Cocoate(from sugar cane & coconut),Citric Acid*,Sodium Citrate*,Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate (from coconut & sugar cane),Sodium Gluconate(from GMO free corn),Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate,Tetrasodium EDTA,*derived from botanical sources

Aqua (purified Australian water*),Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate(from palm),Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultain (from coconut),Lauryl Glucoside (from coconut, palm & glucose),Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate (from coconut),Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate(from palm),Sodium Chloride,Glycerin*,Glyceryl Laurate*,Sorbitol(from GMO free maize),Sucrose Cocoate(from sugar cane & coconut),Citric Acid*,Sodium Citrate*,Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate (from coconut & sugar cane),Sodium Gluconate(from GMO free corn),Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate,Tetrasodium EDTA,*derived from botanical sources

I hope I'm not posting too much for people, I just really want to try and find something to try that could be good for my hair. I made the mistake of using a hair mask overnight that seemed to be filled with silicones the other day and my hair just seemed so dull afterwards. The amazing smell was a trap!
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    OneEvening wrote: »

I'm not sure if I am protein sensitive or not, does this cause hair to feel straw like? I do have a shampoo that is sulphate free, but makes my hair feel absolutely horrendous when I use it, unlike any shampoo I've used before. I did notice in the ingredients today that it does have protein in it. But I guess there are other ingredients in it that could also be the problem.

welcome!! :) . i have noticed for me, protein high up on list of ingredients does cause a straw-like feeling.

i am still working out whether a few drops of light protein treatment separate from shampoo would help me.

feel free to ask me questions anytime. i have been working on learning more about ingredients .(since have a ton of allergies and need to avoid certain 1s)
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    It looks like all the product ingredients that you posted are OK.

As far as protein goes, most people do feel like their hair is brittle and strawlike if they use too much protein or a protein that their hair doesn't like. However, other people experience overly soft hair that is superstretchy. My waves also get very loose, almost straight in spots.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Registered Users Posts: 338 Curl Connoisseur
    There are a lot of ingredients that some people love and some people respond poorly to. Glycerin is a great ingredient for a lot of people, but it makes my hair like straw. Some people swear by coconut oil, others find it makes their hair crunchy.

Unfortunately, it's a lot of trial and error finding what works for you.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
    Yeah maybe it was the protein then, I wanted to like this shampoo but it made my hair feel so dry it could have just fallen to pieces.

I think I might give one (or more) of these products a try!
    These are the ingredients to the other product I was looking at (the only ingredient info I could find of this range (Muk Spa Argan Oil)-

http://myfunnyvalentineblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/ingredientscollage.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file