I want to see your henna'd hair!!!!

wavydazewavydaze Registered Users Posts: 2,065 Curl Novice
:occasion9:

Show me show me pics! What henna brand did you use? Did you mix it with other things, and if so, what percentages? Did you do anything special while applying!
2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
:angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646

Comments

• Mary Beth.CoMary Beth.Co Registered Users Posts: 17 Curl Neophyte
    Henna has transformed my damaged hair. I am 50 - 70% gray and used to have my hair chemically dyed every three weeks for root touch ups. My hair was FRIED from the damage!!! I switched to henna almost a year ago and have it done professionally only because I don't want to deal with the mess. My stylist uses Indigo on my roots for 15 minutes then rinses (my roots turn blue if you don't have any gray then you can skip this step) then applies the henna for 45 minutes and steams it in under a steam hood. She uses Mehandi brand and only mixes it with water. Mehandi has a wonderful reputation for quality henna. You want to make sure you use body art quality henna. My hair has transformed from being dry straw brittle and breaking to healthy and thicker and so shiny. I am 50 years old and the thinning that comes with menopause is reversing. I can't wait to get more of the damaged ends cut over the next year. She also gave me a "curly" cut where she cut it dry - that makes such a difference. You have to commit to being a "red" head as henna is permanent and does not fade or wash out. The picture in pink is before when I was chemically dying my hair. The picture in the white shirt is now.
    Type 3a, fine, highly porous (though much better after quitting the chemical dyes) 70% gray dying with henna/indigo/black walnut professionally every 4 weeks

Modified CG:
    Shampoo - Indigo Hair and Scalp Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out - Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    Deep tx - try weekly but get lazy - Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
    Gels - Jessicurl Spiralicious, MGA Sculpting Gel, Matrix Total Results Curl Super Defrizzer Gel
  • wavydazewavydaze Registered Users Posts: 2,065 Curl Novice
    I can see the difference! Nice hair and color!

I have some grays I'd like to cover. I actually don't want to be a redhead (my hair is naturally dark brown) so I wanted to mix the henna with indigo to get a medium or dark brown. It's interesting that your stylists does the indigo first!
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

• Mary Beth.CoMary Beth.Co Registered Users Posts: 17 Curl Neophyte
    If your hair is brown then it will stay brown and take on a red tone in the sunlight. Your grays will take the red and look like red highlights. Henna plus indigo = auburn. The indigo tones down the red.
    Type 3a, fine, highly porous (though much better after quitting the chemical dyes) 70% gray dying with henna/indigo/black walnut professionally every 4 weeks

Modified CG:
    Shampoo - Indigo Hair and Scalp Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out - Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    Deep tx - try weekly but get lazy - Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
    Gels - Jessicurl Spiralicious, MGA Sculpting Gel, Matrix Total Results Curl Super Defrizzer Gel
  • TriMixDivaTriMixDiva Registered Users Posts: 255
    Hi there. I did henna a while back maybe around 18 months ago. I'm actually going to start doing it again in a while. The color is what you kind of see on the ends here. I'll post more after my next application. I use the Mehandi that comes as a green powder. I just used it for the directions included however I did see another poster who makes hers with coconut milk and got good conditioning results from that so I will try that another time I think she has a bluploadfromtaptalk1470019271924.jpgog about minimalism but the name escapes me right now sorry

Sent from my LGMS631 using CurlTalk App
    TYPE: 3C
    Current State: Just bc'd but still growing out heat damage in the front that goes to the root
    High Density, Medium Porosity
    Length: Grazing SL curly with tons of layers
    Goal: MBL curly? 2019?
    Doing what I want when I want!
    Hair looks gorgeous Mary Beth and TriMixDiva!

Please update TriMixDiva! :)

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

• naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    This is from when I first started CG. My curl pattern was more like 2a and I'm not sure if that was from the henna or not knowing how to style yet. But it was thick full and healthy. I used the Mehandi henna. I stopped ultimately because it made my hair too low porosity and take days to dry. I may do a light henna in the future.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    That's a nice color naturecat! Did you mix it with anything else? (Lovely curls btw)

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

Thanks. I didn't mix it with anything (at least, not anything that would change the color). I'd used the copper color, not the one they use for grey hair. I mixed it with amla just to help prevent curl loss. I did several coats, mostly of amla but altogether there were a few teaspoons of henna and that was enough to really coat my hair too heavily.

Edit: Oh in case you're wondering about the bluefish hue in the first photo, that's just camera/computer glare. :) My actual color was red, esp in the sun:

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    Naturecat, have you used cassia as well and how would you say it compares to henna (not in terms of color but in terms of shine, conditioning effects, thickening etc)?

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

Oh yes, I have used it before. It's similar to henna, but not permanent and not as strong in any of the categories, but strong enough to notice a difference for awhile. I think it's similar to amla in that regard. But supposedly cassia can also (temporarily) straighten the hair, as can henna. I always used cassia in smaller amounts however, so didn't get noticeable straightening from it. I highly recommend using it if you might want to henna but are unsure about committing to it. Cassia is a good way to get a small dose of it.

3A/f/i
    Has anyone ever tried ligthening their hair after henna? I'm really interested in doing a medium-dark brown (henna + indigo) but would love some highlights with that.

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

naturecat wrote: »
    Oh yes, I have used it before. It's similar to henna, but not permanent and not as strong in any of the categories, but strong enough to notice a difference for awhile. I think it's similar to amla in that regard. But supposedly cassia can also (temporarily) straighten the hair, as can henna. I always used cassia in smaller amounts however, so didn't get noticeable straightening from it. I highly recommend using it if you might want to henna but are unsure about committing to it. Cassia is a good way to get a small dose of it.

I might try the cassia then and see how I like it. I want to do something different with my hair and am having trouble deciding whether I want to henna or go blonde (totally opposites, I know!)

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

wavydaze wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried ligthening their hair after henna? I'm really interested in doing a medium-dark brown (henna + indigo) but would love some highlights with that.

This is my hair after hydrogen peroxide over the henna.

Though from personal experience, I didn't like the effects of the h.p. on my hair. I did a BC to get the damage off and my hair was much curlier after that. But the color was fun.

3A/f/i
    Meant to include this one before... just to show you how light it got in the sun. And this was just a little h.p.

3A/f/i
    That looks really nice! :)

Do you know if anything would happen if I mixed indigo... I thought I read somewhere that bleaching indigo would make it turn green.

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

Oh, that's right. You'd be using hendigo. I've never used it before (the indigo that is). But indigo wears off after one month, so you should be able to dye safely after that in theory. The people at Mehandi should be able to help you answer that question. Henna in general can react with chemical dyes, so to be safe I'd stay with hydrogen peroxide or other natural substances after henna. And also would recommend a test run on your henna'd hair (on some fallen hair perhaps or a tiny snip you cut) with whatever you want to do to lighten it, before you apply it to your whole head, just to see how it reacts with the henna.

3A/f/i
    Oh, that's right. You'd be using hendigo. I've never used it before (the indigo that is). But indigo wears off after one month, so you should be able to dye safely after that in theory. The people at Mehandi should be able to help you answer that question. Henna in general can react with chemical dyes, so to be safe I'd stay with hydrogen peroxide or other natural substances after henna. And also would recommend a test run on your henna'd hair (on some fallen hair perhaps or a tiny snip you cut) with whatever you want to do to lighten it, before you apply it to your whole head, just to see how it reacts with the henna.

Oh that's interesting that the indigo washes off. Does that mean after one month it becomes more red?

I'll check out Mehandi. Ok... so then as far as the highlights, maybe I should give myself highlights at home... or at least test at home.

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

Yup, indigo must be repeated in order to maintain the color I believe. Yes, you could test/try highlighting before starting the henna process... besides, the henna will help lower your porosity after the highlighting damages the hair. I've always wondered myself about applying h.p. to henna before applying, then heating (to deactivate the h.p.). I loved the gold blonde color I got when putting h.p. over the henna. My grey (I have only a few strands) turned the most delightful blonde (you can't see this in the photos I posted). And it was permanent because it was henna as opposed to cassia. So I've always wondered if there was a way to lighten the henna before applying, then deactivate the h.p. so no damage to the hair. Something I may experiment with in the future...

3A/f/i
    Oh I wanted to do it the other way around... dye with henna/indigo first, then highlight on top of that. I would like to have brown hair with blonde(ish) highlights

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

What about just henna, then highlighting? Unless you have grey to cover, the henna will brighten your color a bit. It won't lighten your hair or darken it. It would stay its natural brown, just with a reddish tint. The indigo is useful for grey that you may not want to be red or if you want to darken your hair past its normal brown. Brown hair with blond highlights is what I had when I did just henna, then h.p. To be fair, I had natural blonde highlights in the sun before the whole dying process; henna made my highlights red, then h.p. took them back to a more golden color.

3A/f/i
    I used to dye my hair reddish-brown when I was in highschool/college, so I'm over the cherry-chocolate look lol! That's why I'm unsure about just using henna

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

Try a patch test on your hair of just henna first to see, or take a whole bunch of shed hairs and test on that.

3A/f/i
    Try a patch test on your hair of just henna first to see, or take a whole bunch of shed hairs and test on that.

Good idea! I actually think i'll start with cassia, then do that with henna!

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list