Hair is straight when wet, hard to style

CurlymcflyCurlymcfly Registered Users Posts: 11
My hair is 2b/c but when wet it looks straight. I find that when I rinse my conditioner out upside down, my hair forms a sort of sheet and there is no clumping. I finger comb to separate it into individual clumps but that often results in frizz and thin stringy curls. If I scrunch my leave in and gel into it, I get thinner, frizzier clumps still.

At the moment I am using the devacurl ultra defining gel (I'm in the UK so I get it from Amazon) but I find that I have to use a tonne of it to get any definition and it's kinda expensive over here.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• AmKoAmKo Registered Users Posts: 96 Curl Neophyte
    Hello! I don't know if I can help, but I did have one idea. When do you add your leave in and products? Lately I comb once in the shower with conditioner in, then once when I get out of the shower. I plop for about 5 minutes, then a small amount of cold water back into my hair from the ears down. Finally, I add leave-in and products. I diffuse to finish, and I have found that this routine lately has helped me with defining and less frizz. Some people recently tried adding products after hair was fully dry, and that worked for them. Maybe play with your routine a little to see if your hair has a preference as to when you add product?
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I find that trims/cuts get my hair to form clumps more easily. What you're describing also sounds like your hair is a bit on the dry side so more moisture could help. Also, if I separate my hair into clumps, I sometimes scrunch some warm water back in and that helps with the frizz. You may also want to try the super soaker method or ice queen method. Btw, I have the same problem; curlier hair when dry, but straight and plastered to the scalp when wet. The short hairs in particular are a problem. I find that adding water back in and scrunching and diffusing as the hair dries helps.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • CurlymcflyCurlymcfly Registered Users Posts: 11
    Thank you so much for the replies. I usually comb through again to form clumps, plop for 5 minutes and then add my products. I'll definitely try adding more water back in and then adding products on top. I just managed to get a litre of BRHG (old formula) from eBay so I'm super happy. I used it last year and I really liked it on top of the gel I was using, but since then it's been impossible to get a hold of in the UK. I am definitely in need of a hair cut, so I'm hoping that will help and you are right naturecat, it is currently feeling quite dry. Thank you both for the suggestions!
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    If you're into DIY natural products, I find that irish moss (as a treatment, though you can try it as a leave in too) is great at moisturizing and clumping, plus even has some protein to balance out the moisture. My curls really pop every time I use this.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    My hair is straight when wet as well, until I scrunch out some of the excess water. It's because I have fine hair strands, and clumping is difficult to achieve on fine hair that has a looser curl pattern (like type 2s). Try a mousse instead, something like Herbal Essences Totally Twisted.

Additionally, if you are using a shampoo, even a sulfate-free one, you may want to consider a no-poo like Matrix Biolage Conditioning Cleanser that replaces both shampoo and rinse-out conditioner. Frizz and curl separation are common with even the gentlest of low-poos for me.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file