No products until AFTER hair has dried

curlynccurlync Registered Users Posts: 219 Curl Neophyte
I thought I'd come post about something I've been doing for the last couple of weeks that I never thought I would do...letting my hair air-dry naturally with no products, no scrunching, no plopping, no diffusing. My brother was my inspiration to try this, as when I saw him a few weeks back, his curls always air-dried product-free into perfect, shiny, frizzless, 3b/3c ringlets. I didn't expect it to work for me as I have a much weaker curl pattern that requires some encouragement, but was curious as to what kind of results I would get.

I decided to try his routine: after showering, simply squeeze out the excess water from my hair with my bare hands. No towels, no scrunching, no plopping. Then I let it air-dry completely. Once dry, I smooth in a small amount of product to add some definition and shine.

I've been doing this about two weeks now and am pleasantly surprised (shocked is more like it) that my day 1 hair actually looks really good! I always thought I needed tons of product applied to soaking wet hair to get my curls to clump and spring up. Also, when it's still in the drying process, it looks so flat and lifeless (and barely wavy instead of my usual 2c/3a) I had never attempted or desired to let it dry all the way like this. Once it completely dries though, my curl pattern does come back.

Pros:
- Hair dries in half the time (about 2 hours instead of 4), and I don't have to wait to scrunch out the crunch, because there is no crunch!
- My boyfriend actually prefers my hair this way. He says it looks more natural, lighter (weight-wise), and has more body. He really loves it!
- Post-shower hair routine is much, much quicker
- No heat damage from diffusing
- Less money on products!

Cons:
- Curls don't last as long. Day 2 is okay. Day 3 is impossible: too frizzy and curls are deflating to waves. One the bright side, I don't mind having to wash it more often since it's not such a hassle applying tons of products, scrunching, plopping, diffusing, and then having crunchy, wiry hair for the next 4 hours.
- The straighter parts of my hair (the first few inches closest to my scalp) are straighter than usual. However, I have more volume and root lift than I did with product, so I don't really mind. It seems to be a good trade-off.
- Slightly less definition and clumping. If you're about max definition and shine, this might not be for you. If you like more body and volume though, as I do, it's worth a shot.

I'm still experimenting with which product to apply once dry. I'm just cycling through my current stash seeing what works best. Also, I might have to revert back to my old routine in the winter, but right now this is a nice easy summer routine.
2c/3a
Porosity: low at roots; normal mid-shaft; high at ends
Texture: mix of medium & coarse
Density: medium

Low-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather; CJ Gentle Cleansing
RO: GVP Conditioning Balm; Innersense Color Radiance
Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

Occasional use: CJ Repair Me; Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo

CG (or mod CG since I low-poo?) since June 2015

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Hmm, I will have to try this. I was always concerned about curl formation without product since I am only 2a/2b. I feel like I have to rely on gel to get my hair to turn out wavy and not straight. But the ease of this routine is tempting...
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm going to try this also! It could be a groundbreaker! Very interesting.

I have to try this on a day when I'm not going anywhere. I wonder how well it works during the dreaded high dews. I foresee more experimenting in my future.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • curlynccurlync Registered Users Posts: 219 Curl Neophyte
    Therese, I could see the concern with only 2a/2b curls. I also see you have mostly fine hair, so yours is definitely different from mine. Mine looks 2a/2b as it's drying without product, but reaches its full 2c/3a potential once dry.

Curlypearl, I could see you having similar results to mine as we have the same curl pattern as well as coarse hair, although yours is more porous. As for dews, I've been in living in those dreaded high dews the last two weeks (dew point was 77 this weekend with the actual temperature close to 100 - yuck!). Like you said, try it on a day you don't have to go anywhere, and good luck! I tried it for the first time while I was on a week long vacation at the lake, so I didn't care how my hair looked in case it didn't work out.
    2c/3a

Stylers: MT Curly Custard; CHS Curl Keeper; UFD Curly Magic; Innersense I Create Volume

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    i do a modified version of this.
    for me, the big part is not plopping, just blotting some moisture before it air dries. the wetter my hair when i leave it to air dry, the better it is. i do apply conditioner to leave in, then butter to seal.
    after my hair is dry i then apply gel or cj honey butta leave in for styling. in lower dews i sometimes don't add a styler.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
    Sounds interesting and terrifying at the same time! I normally despise my hair when I let it dry without product, but the ease of this method will sell me on one try, at least. :)
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
    ^^^Interesting and terrifying at the same time - exactly my sentiments RafterBat :wave:
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I did try no-product diffusing recently and surprisingly, I actually had a 3a ringlet in there still. My hair will straighten lots more than normal without help (well actually now that my hair is even shorter that might not be true). But one big advantage I can see is that my hair gets weighed down from product. If I let it dry first, then spritzed it to wet/damp on the length but not the roots, and then applied product, I'd get less weighed down and better root lift and perhaps better curl. Something to try in the future for sure.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Curls80Curls80 Registered Users Posts: 526 Curl Connoisseur
    I used to do a routine where I'd put my hair up in a t shirt for a while, then apply my products to damp hair. It wasn't at all wet when I applied products. To be honest my routine has gotten more complicated the more I've let go of silicones and sulfates. But I just can't let my hair dry without product! Lol I've been putting gel in my hair and scrunching and air drying since I was 14 years old ha ha. I tend to get pretty good volume regardless so that is fine, but I like to have lots of definition.

I'm kind of torn because when I scrunch out moisture, I feel like it disrupts my curls moreso than plopping. Ive been doing more air drying lately.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
    NatureCat - another interesting variation! Lots to think about and try. Thanks for posting.
    rbb wrote: »
    i do a modified version of this.
    for me, the big part is not plopping, just blotting some moisture before it air dries. the wetter my hair when i leave it to air dry, the better it is. i do apply conditioner to leave in, then butter to seal.
    after my hair is dry i then apply gel or cj honey butta leave in for styling. in lower dews i sometimes don't add a styler.
    naturecat wrote: »
    I did try no-product diffusing recently and surprisingly, I actually had a 3a ringlet in there still. My hair will straighten lots more than normal without help (well actually now that my hair is even shorter that might not be true). But one big advantage I can see is that my hair gets weighed down from product. If I let it dry first, then spritzed it to wet/damp on the length but not the roots, and then applied product, I'd get less weighed down and better root lift and perhaps better curl. Something to try in the future for sure.

I'm going to have to try both of these variations as well!
    2c/3a

• curlysophiecurlysophie Registered Users Posts: 216 Curl Neophyte
    I have tried plopping prior to applying products so my hair is just a bit damp, but it always ends up really limp and gross. I want to try it again... does anyone have any tips for me? :)
    :love2: Curly Teen :love2:
    CG since 5/2/14
    3A, low/medium porosity, medium texture/thickness
    ~SheaMoisture Shampoos
    ~Suave Essentials Conditioners
    ~Kinky Curly Knot Today
    ~L.A. Looks Sport Gel
    i think the key piece to this is not to dry your hair, so no plopping, when i use this method i only scrunch my hair a bit with my towel, so hair air dries pretty wet.

rbb wrote: »
    i think the key piece to this is not to dry your hair, so no plopping, when i use this method i only scrunch my hair a bit with my towel, so hair air dries pretty wet.

Ah, I see! Maybe I'll try it out. Thanks!
    CG since 5/2/14
    ~SheaMoisture Shampoos
    ~Kinky Curly Knot Today
    ~L.A. Looks Sport Gel
    yesterday i did not plop, barely scrunched with the towel and let it air dry from a very wet point. this used to work for me, then i got lazy and started plopping.
    well, my hair was so bad last night that today i had to wash it again, did my leave in, butter, plopping, then curl cream, and had a great day. maybe my hair likes plopping now??? also, since i bought the NEW deva towel last dec, my hair has been so much better with plopping. i think it's the towel.

Thanks for the heads up about the towel. Haven't tried plopping in a long while and now my hair might be too short, but I want to revisit it with this towel.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    naturecat wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up about the towel. Haven't tried plopping in a long while and now my hair might be too short, but I want to revisit it with this towel.

just make sure it is the NEW deva towel, the larger, softer one. the original, which i never bought, is too small to plop with. i think the NEW (they capitalize it on their website) towel is about $20, but they give you a great free sample with it and free shipping and fast shipping. you can also buy it on aveyou.com with their discount codes.

there is a thread on this in the readers products forum.

any way you get it, i do think it is a unique towel. i can let my hair dry more with any frizzing, there really is a difference.

Today I decided to try a modified version of this method. I started off with my hair wet, but not dripping wet. I used a little more than a quarter size amount of KCKT on each side of my head, and raked it through, especially focusing on the driest areas.

Then, I wrapped my hair up in a cotton t-shirt for just a minute or two while I washed my face. I took the t-shirt down, and I was surprised to see that my hair was already curlier after being in a plop for just a couple of minutes. I then scrunched my hair a bit with the t-shirt and my hands, and lastly, I put my fingers on my scalp and shook them around a bit.

I know this is stupid, but I'm honestly scared :laughing6: The last time I used this little product was...I don't even remember. 2014? When I started the Curly Girl Method? Anyway, I will give an update once my hair is dry. :)
    CG since 5/2/14
    ~SheaMoisture Shampoos
    ~Kinky Curly Knot Today
    ~L.A. Looks Sport Gel
    Update: I am actually pretty surprised at my results! As my hair was drying, it looked kinda limp and wavy, but it ended up being SUPER voluminous and curly. Once it was dry, I smoothed on a bit of Jessicurl Gelebration Spray to add some hold. The only thing I don't like is that my roots dried pretty flat, so I definitely have a bit of a triangle look. But that might've been because I only scrunched a little. Overall, I'm happy that I tried doing this, and I'm going to continue to experiment with it in the future :)
    CG since 5/2/14
    ~SheaMoisture Shampoos
    ~Kinky Curly Knot Today
    ~L.A. Looks Sport Gel
    So very interesting!!! This opens up a whole new method.

I have to try this very soon. I need to pick the right day, but I'll be sure to post back. :thumright:
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I am intrigued. I am quite convinced that my hair will look terrible without some kind of hard-hold product put in wet hair. So I will have to try this for the sake of science. :)
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I'm in the middle of trying this and I have a question. When my hair is totally dry, what do i put on it and how? Do I scrunch in gel? Use hairspray?

I used a mild sulfate poo because I had used cones before, conditioned and then smoothed in a small amount of condish. One gentle scrunch all around to my dripping hair and letting it air dry. I put a few clips in after it had dried a bit for height at the crown. So far it is curling nicely, but what do I use after it is dry?
  • curlyprincess1curlyprincess1 Registered Users Posts: 468
    A satin pillowcase for when you sleep?! :lol:
    My dear aunt used to use a wrap around her head when she went to sleep to protect her hair. This was years ago!
    It's not easy being a princess, but hey, if the crown fits.
  • ttoosdayttoosday Registered Users Posts: 509 Curl Connoisseur
    I have tried the whole naked curls thing just to see if my hair could look good as is. Big disaster. It looked half frizzy, half straight. Flat on top and just utterly ridiculous. I dont see how adding any product on my dry hair could possibly fix it after it got to that point. I think maybe its the fundamental difference between curly and wavy. Curly hair curls, wavy hair...well, theres a whole thread on wavy woes somewhere around here. Waves just can't do what curls do without alot product. At least not mine. I cant do half of what RockynCurls can do on her hair for example. She can just pull and shake and fluff and flip...and i just end up looking elecutrocuted.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
    Final result: this didn't work for me. :thumbdown: ETA: now I'm not so sure. See next post.

It left my hair poufy and undefined. I had good volume, but not happy curls, just messy, frizzy, wannabe curls.

I think Ttoosday hit the nail on the head. For wavies, like me, this method doesn't work. If you have a strong curl pattern with good definition it might work for you.
    Well, after several hours I have to revise my final result decision:

This was a useful experiment because I am loving the fullness of my hair without product (until after drying). I realize I can use much less product in the initial phase. I also may re-try the Smasters method of using product after hair is semi dry and only on the outside of the hair so that the curls get more of a chance to expand from within.

Also, might be a very good way to do my hair in those horrid low dews when I need fullness so much.

Definitely a good experiment with possibilities.
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of trying this and I have a question. When my hair is totally dry, what do i put on it and how? Do I scrunch in gel? Use hairspray?

Sorry this didn't work for you :( What you said about the curl patterns, that's why I was so hesitant about trying it myself the first time. Works great for my brother with his 3b/3c curls, but I still can't decide if I'm truly 2c or 3a. I have the 3a ringlets and coils, but only near the bottom. Closer to the roots is still flatter and almost straight. I love the volume this routine is giving me on day one, but my curl pattern is definitely too weak to last two days without a hard hold gel. That's why I think I'll go back to my normal routine in winter. For now, it's hot and humid so I find myself wanting to wash my hair more often anyway, so this is working great to have a quicker way to do so.

Even though it's too late, I still wanted to reply to your question as to what product to use once dry in case anyone else was wondering. I'm still experimenting with this myself. To date, I've gotten the best results with my UFDCM. CJAF did not work, nor did the CJ smoothing lotion. AG ReCoil was decent on day one, but not as good for day two as the UFDCM. I have yet to try the CCCCL yet for this purpose - it's next on my list.

Whichever product I've tried, I just smooth the product over both sides of my hair with my hands, maybe scrunching lightly a couple of times if needed.
    2c/3a

Well, after several hours I have to revise my final result decision:

This was a useful experiment because I am loving the fullness of my hair without product (until after drying). I realize I can use much less product in the initial phase. I also may re-try the Smasters method of using product after hair is semi dry and only on the outside of the hair so that the curls get more of a chance to expand from within.

Also, might be a very good way to do my hair in those horrid low dews when I need fullness so much.

Definitely a good experiment with possibilities.

Haha, I was in the middle of replying when you updated your results! Glad to see you had some decent enough results to keep experimenting. That's what I'm still doing! It's not perfect, but it has potential!
    2c/3a

curlync wrote: »

Sorry this didn't work for you :( What you said about the curl patterns, that's why I was so hesitant about trying it myself the first time. Works great for my brother with his 3b/3c curls, but I still can't decide if I'm truly 2c or 3a. I have the 3a ringlets and coils, but only near the bottom. Closer to the roots is still flatter and almost straight. I love the volume this routine is giving me on day one, but my curl pattern is definitely too weak to last two days without a hard hold gel. That's why I think I'll go back to my normal routine in winter. For now, it's hot and humid so I find myself wanting to wash my hair more often anyway, so this is working great to have a quicker way to do so.

Even though it's too late, I still wanted to reply to your question as to what product to use once dry in case anyone else was wondering. I'm still experimenting with this myself. To date, I've gotten the best results with my UFDCM. CJAF did not work, nor did the CJ smoothing lotion. AG ReCoil was decent on day one, but not as good for day two as the UFDCM. I have yet to try the CCCCL yet for this purpose - it's next on my list.

Whichever product I've tried, I just smooth the product over both sides of my hair with my hands, maybe scrunching lightly a couple of times if needed.

i'm not using this method, but i do use cj honey butta on dry hair very successfully. i smooth it over the canopy, scrunch it in, just apply a bit to a curl here or there, on damp hair after i plop, on 2nd day hair to refresh. it's been my HG this summer, and i saw on the cj website my review where i did same last summer. have you tried the honey butta? great on wet/damp/dry hair.

Hey RBB, thanks for your input. I've never tried the CJ honey butta but I am devoted to the CJ line, so I'm going to read up on it and will probably cave in and buy it.:thumright:
    I'm a wavy and this still works for me. But what I find really works is (after I initially add some product and dry the hair) rewetting my hair when adding more product or even just more water without product, after it starts drying. It allows me to diffuse again without so much weight on my hair and makes my hair go curly... in fact, takes it from waves to curls. It might not only be a question of texture, but thickness. My hair is baby fine so water weighs it down, and water and product together even more so. So the initial drying my pattern is stretched out, then dampening to reshape allows greater curl.
    Also, another thing sixelamy mentioned on a thread is holding off on adding hard hold gel until later in the drying process. So for those who can't do without product initially, you can use lighter product to start off with and then put the heavier things in later in the drying process.

3A/f/i

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file