Help! Combination 2B top and 3A bottom and porosity questions!

SeylinSeylin Posts: 10Registered Users
I'm new to the CG method, just started July 1st and am having some problems. The hair on "top" is 2B/2C and the hair underneath is, I think, 3A. I prefer the curlier bottom hair, it has much less frizz and looks nicer, but I have no idea how to get all of it to be that way.

The hair on top definitely feels drier, so maybe extra conditioning? I also have not had a hair in almost two years, I found a cg salon near me and just have to make an appointment, I'm a little scared though! I have had some VERY monstrous salon experiences! The last time I went, I had to just keep telling myself it will grow out!

I have been using Loreal evercreme shampoo, Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Conditioner, and garnier fructis pure clean finishing paste. I just ran out of the Coconut and hibiscus conditioner and am switching to shea moisture manuka honey conditioner and adding the shea moisture jamaican black caster oil leave in

My hair is coarse and thick with high elasticity. I have no idea if it is porous or not because when I run my fingers over it toward my head I feel bumps, but it did not sink when I put it in water.

I'm a hot mess! :)

Any suggestions?
DevaCurl Nopoo
Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Conditioner
Shea Moisture Jamican Black Caster Oil Leave-in
Shea Moisture Curling Gel Souflee

2C/3A
Coarse
Thick
High elasticity
Porosity ?!?

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh my, your hair is just gorgeous! I sort of suffer from the same problem of my canopy being less curly but underneath closer to 3a. Partly that's because of the way it's currently cut--with the right length some of the canopy is actually pretty curly. So the cut is one thing to consider... you can get the canopy cut shorter too and that would show off the bottom layer while giving your hair some layers. If you're new to CG, chances also are that your hair just needs more moisture, so yes, extra conditioner on that top layer could help. Also, wash your hair upside down (your top layer is probably where you're applying the most shampoo and/or CO wash, when it's the bottom layer that is more moist and top layer that's usually drier).

As for porosity, the way to tell is how your hair behaves. Does your hair soak up product? If so, high porosity. If product just sits on the hair, it's low porosity. If it's in between, medium porosity. Also drying time: 6+ hours = low po, bet 2-6 hours = medium porosity, and less than 2 hrs = high porosity.

You might also want to try a little extra leave in conditioner on your canopy.

Since my hairdresser just cut short hairs that won't curl :-(, and they get squished overnight too, I pincurl them. Mine's too short for this, but you may want to wear styles that involve pinning that layer back until it gets more moisture and begins to curl more.

For such a short time CG your hair is beyond amazing already (I'm totally jealous!). I'm sure the canopy is going to improve lots in the near future.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • SeylinSeylin Posts: 10Registered Users
    Thank you!

I'm going to get it cut, ahh!, but I woke up this morning with a much curlier canopy! I added leave in and instead of plopping scrunched forever after my shower! Also did the pineapple thing while sleeping :)

jgfkhnZ5DeSJd8T3A
    DevaCurl Nopoo
    Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Conditioner
    Shea Moisture Jamican Black Caster Oil Leave-in
    Shea Moisture Curling Gel Souflee

2C/3A
    Coarse
    Thick
    High elasticity
    Porosity ?!?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list