help 3s and 4s - for long hair

rswrsw Posts: 69Registered Users Curl Novice
Hi, I'm hair depressed and would llke your input. I've gone a few years with not great cuts despite doing the work -- investigating and spending $$.

The last 3 cuts - "curl experts" insist on cutting angled from front to back when I advise I do not want that. (That looks great on girls with really straight hair).

My last cut was 2 wks ago - it's angled, and too long. Yes, I need length so that it does not get too poofy -- but it's now just hanging. (pic with white sleeveless top).

When I used to get it cut from Ouidad before she retired, it had a blunt
bottom).

QUESTIONS?
* What would be better way to cut/style?
* is this 3C or 4A?
* Suggestions on how to cut it? Who to see?

Thanks,
Rsw
PS- I see some l like Devachan - but hose women have loose curls. Mine are TIGHT!

Comments

• rswrsw Posts: 69Registered Users Curl Novice
    OKay - maybe I asked too many questions:

- Is your hair angled from front pieces all the way back? Anyone happy with that and can you share pics?

- Or is it rounded on bottom?

And, do you have blunt bottom - mostly one length?
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair looks 3c. Very nice curls. I don't have long hair so can't give the best advice, but I can't tell from the photos--do you have layers throughout your hair? My back hairs looked straggly until I had them cut shorter and brought to the length closer to my longer outer hairs. so that there is an illusion of thickness there.
    What I think might look really awesome on you, aside from cutting a bit more length is that some of your canopy hairs can be cut into shorter layers to give you volume up top. I would *love* to do this with my own hair but on my curl pattern it just doesn't work.
    I did have hair angled from front to back that I liked, but now she cut the front pieces so short they don't curl! So I liked it but not right now. I think the angle looks nice on you.
    Here's mine angled shorter in front, on both short and long hair:

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Also, re: your PS, it doesn't matter whether you're a tight or loose curly, or whether you go to devachan or not. What matters is finding someone who listens to what you want and is good at their job. A good curly stylist should be able to give a great cut regardless of curl tightness (my curly stylists cut straight hair too).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • curlyamarylliscurlyamaryllis Posts: 338Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Devacuts are quite popular among the tightly curly.

My hair is shorter in front than in back, but my hair is also chin length. I'm not sure how much difference it makes in long hair. I think what you might need overall is layering for shape.
    CG since May 1, 2016
    3a, fine, thin, normal porosity, no dye, greying naturally
    Devacurl Weightless Waves Low Poo & Conditioner, B'Leave-in and Ultra Defining Gel
    Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion in low humidity
    Ouidad Advanced Heat & Humidity Gel mixed with UDG for high humidity
    at home gelatin PT
    Hask Argan Oil Deep Conditioner
  • TriMixDivaTriMixDiva Posts: 255Registered Users
    Firstly your curls are gorgeous!! I know how you feel though you want more shape interest and sass.

I would search for images of curl cuts you like and find another stylist. Hopefully the curl gods will send you someone fabulous asap!

My hair is a bit tighter than yours and i just cut it cut into a short and very layered mushroom. If i were you i would ask for long layers with the shortest layer ending at your chin to frame your face!

Sent from my LGMS631 using CurlTalk App
    TYPE: 3C
    Current State: Just bc'd but still growing out heat damage in the front that goes to the root
    High Density, Medium Porosity
    Length: Grazing SL curly with tons of layers
    Goal: MBL curly? 2019?
    Doing what I want when I want!
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow, I know this thread is really old, but you're the closest I've come to a hair twin! I consider myself to be a 3B, but I also have some 3C at the nape (very small bits), and a little under layer area that is 3a. But yeah, when my hair is the length that yours is in these pics, its identical! Amazing lol.

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • Curlyprincess36Curlyprincess36 Posts: 31Registered Users
    rsw wrote: »
    Hi, I'm hair depressed and would llke your input. I've gone a few years with not great cuts despite doing the work -- investigating and spending $$.

The last 3 cuts - "curl experts" insist on cutting angled from front to back when I advise I do not want that. (That looks great on girls with really straight hair).

My last cut was 2 wks ago - it's angled, and too long. Yes, I need length so that it does not get too poofy -- but it's now just hanging. (pic with white sleeveless top).

When I used to get it cut from Ouidad before she retired, it had a blunt
    bottom).

QUESTIONS?
    * What would be better way to cut/style?
    * is this 3C or 4A?
    * Suggestions on how to cut it? Who to see?

Thanks,
    Rsw
    PS- I see some l like Devachan - but hose women have loose curls. Mine are TIGHT!
    I Have the same curl type as you. The DeveCut was the best cut I have ever gotten. I would suggest you find a DevaCurl stylist near you. My hair cut cost $50 but was well worth the price. I left the salon with a perfect hair cut.
    Happy Curls-Good Luck!:angel9:
    Curly Annie - Yes, from back it does look similar.
    I've still not gotten another hair cut, and now it's totally dragging /sagging my face down.
    Do you get a deva cut?
    I've still not gotten another hair cut, and now it's totally dragging /sagging my face down.
    Do you get a deva cut?
    Wow, I know this thread is really old, but you're the closest I've come to a hair twin! I consider myself to be a 3B, but I also have some 3C at the nape (very small bits), and a little under layer area that is 3a. But yeah, when my hair is the length that yours is in these pics, its identical! Amazing lol.

Do you get a deva cut?

Do you get a deva cut?
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rsw wrote: »
    Do you get a deva cut?

Hi there :). I've never gotten a deva cut before, but one day I'd love to. For now, I just cut it myself, after watching tons of YouTube videos, and reading/learning about how to do it like the professionals do....as close as I can, anyway! It seems like it's getting easier after a few years. I wish my curls were as even as yours, I love how yours look. Mine doesn't usually curl at the roots, and I have an under layer that gets kinda straightened out, from the top curls laying on them (I hope that makes sense!) But yeah, I really love your hair :)

• SlinkyheadSlinkyhead Posts: 100Registered Users
    I'm just here 'hair gazing" don't mind me lol - I wish I had that tight of a curl pattern! I'd get a great shape and make it big. Beautiful hair!

Type: 3a | NP | med-fine but high den | bob
    NP: Deva NP, DC low poo, ACV rinses
    RO: Deva 1 Cond orig or decadence
    DC: DC HIC, SM JBCO mask
    LI: 1 Cond, B'leavin
    Styler: Deva SPC or reg SC
    Gels: DC LDG, Bouncecurl
    Refresh: water w Lavender oil.
    Scalp: Lav/jojoba/rosem/pep oils.
    Airdry, wait 30 mins before diffusing.
    Loves a little protein in stylers! Hates heavy stuff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file