Am I a 2B, 2C, or 3A?

Tyberius777Tyberius777 Registered Users Posts: 10 Curl Neophyte
I need help getting my hair type. 2B, 2C, and 3A all seem the same to me. Can anyone help me understand the differences between the three? I don't start seeing a difference in hair types until 3B. Since I'm a guy and have shorter hair (I'm growing it out) it's hard for me to tell. All the photos but two are what my hair currently looks like. The last two are what my hair looked like before I shaved the dry mess off and let it grow back but taking care of it this time.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• RafterBatRafterBat Registered Users Posts: 182 Curl Novice
    My *guess* is that you are around 3a. Type 2 waves tend to start flatter at the root, where type 3s get a little height there. Also, the longer-hair photos seem to show a strong spiral as opposed to a wave. You may end up seeing even more curl as your hair gets healthier.
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    You have definite type 3 hair. I think you may have 3B bits too, but more length will make that clearer, as will taking care of it.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Tyberius777Tyberius777 Registered Users Posts: 10 Curl Neophyte
    Thank you very much; I definitely appreciate the information! :)
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I agree that you are at least type 3a. You are too curly to be a type 2.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BabyfineBabyfine Registered Users Posts: 149 Curl Novice
    Your hair is the exact same curl pattern as my oldest son.
    Born to two wavies!. Anyway I would say 3A. That's how I classify my son, who keeps his hair short, alas.
    My brother also has blonde 3A hair so that's where my son's comes from.
    Neither got curls until they hit puberty. My other son has straight hair.

My son shampoos with head and shoulders (sulfates) but does use either Ouidad or Curly Hair solutions gel. (I introduced those to him. He likes the CHS the best for his shorter hair.
    My son got very curly during high school, has straightened out somewhat though in his early 20's. I did the same( went from 2c to my now 2a) perhaps due to either age or acne medication. His hair straightened out and got drier.
    ETA Your picture with the longer hair makes me think you could even be a 3B.
    I'm looking for more curl, body, volume, and shine-a miracle really.
    Poos" Nioxin, Devacurl, Jessicurl
    Leave in: Ouidad Moisture Lock/B'leavein
    Rinse out: VO5 Kiwi Lime, Mane and Tail,Too Shea
    Mousse: Oscar Blandi Hair Life, Ouidad Playcurl
    Gel: Devacurl Light defining gel
  • Tyberius777Tyberius777 Registered Users Posts: 10 Curl Neophyte
    Babyfine wrote: »
    Neither got curls until they hit puberty.

Interesting; my hair was straight too until I shaved it in college one year. Needless to say I was surprised and confused when it grew back. :laughing6:

Thanks again for the help though y'all! Finding this site and all the tips it has to offer is definitely a great deal of help! :)
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    welcome!! :) .

i am also growing my curls & waves back out.
    1 tip i have since trying to avoid dryness (me too) is if a product has ingredients , such as dimethicone, cyclopentsiloxane, cyclomethicone or other one or xane suffix endings
    , prolonged usage could cause a film/buildup since those ingredients aren't water soluble
  • MeiMei Registered Users Posts: 259 Curl Neophyte
    Definitely 3a, type 2s have flatter roots, even 2c's. You have lots of volume, which is nice.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file